Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop Virgin

Options
  • 05-06-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

So I am due to start college this September as a mature student.

Up until now I've used an iPad for my internet needs but I'll obviously need a laptop now for college work.

I have no idea what to look for, I don't know about all this RAM stuff etc.

Can anyone tell me what specs I will be looking for?
    Which brands are the best?

The laptop will just be used for basic college work (so I'll need a Microsoft package), streaming movies etc online, general internet usage and also maybe a bit of gaming (who doesn't love the Sims lol).

My budget will be around the €500 mark.
    I don't need specific model suggestions (although they would be useful) but just an idea of what minimum spec details to look out for.

Basically a 'laptops for dummies' type of thing!

Thanks very much for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_thinkpad+t%2A++ssd/

ThinkPad T-series are robust, strong CPUs, decent battery life, good keyboards.

SSD > SSHD, an SSD (flash) drive makes computing so much better for everything.
    4-8Gb RAM.
    CPU: Core i7 > i5 > i3 > anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand at all but those Thinkpad's are not good value.

€360 for a 1st gen i5 which would be 5 years old now. There are far more powerful and newer laptops being sold on adverts for the same money.

I bought a Dell Lattitude with an i5-M520, 4GB, 64GB SSD for €170 a while ago on adverts from a guy who sells a few of them. That's what those era machines sell for.

And €200+ for an almost ten year old basic Core 2 based Thinkpad with a 160GB hard drive. :confused:

Those are bad prices.

Have a look at the Dell website. You can get a current generation i3 based Inspiron with 4GB of Ram and a 500GB hard drive for €429 shipped to you.

If gaming is limited to the sims then you'll be fine with that, or something like this which works out at €350 after cashback.

If you prefer to buy in store this is good enough value in PC World, same as the Dell though you'd have to research which laptop has a better battery/is lighter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Forgot about the Dell Latitude series, good call.

Wouldn't go for Inspiron myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Would anyone mind telling me if this sounds any good?

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/toshiba-l50-d-b-136-amd-a8-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-wi-fi-156-inch-laptop-with-optional-microsoft-office-365-personal-white/1436926235.prd?amendCommerceItemId=ci53958000525

Toshiba L50 D-B-136 AMD A8 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive, Wi-Fi, 15.6 inch Laptop with Optional Microsoft Office 365 Personal - White

Useful info:
    • AMD A8-6410 quad core processor
    • 8Gb RAM
    • q1Tb (1000Gb) hard drive
    • 15.6 inch HD LED-backlit display (1366x768)
    • DVD SuperMulti dual layer drive
    • AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
    • 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth
    • Webcam with microphone
    • Skullcandy tuned speakers with DTS® Sound™
    • 2x USB 3.0 (1x USB Sleep and Charge), 1x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI
    • Card Reader

€529.00 including Office 365

• Advertisement
Advertisement