Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this HP for the price/my needs?

Options
  • 08-06-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying a new laptop and I've been looking at this HP. I'm working in education and am looking for a bit of an all rounder- I also want to do a bit of gaming on it, but am happy to limit that to Total War-style strategy games.

http://www.jumbo.ae/laptops/hp-pavilion-notebook-15-p235ne-energy-star/p-0441617-92714626878-cat.html

The key details (for me) are an I7 processor, a 4GB GE Force 840M dedicated graphics card, 8GB RAM.

I think I might be going slightly overboard on the specs considering what I need it for, but I'm willing to do so if it'll work well for a number of years. there's also the element of future proofing myself.

It works out at €849 and they'll throw in about €100 worth of freebies to sweeten the deal. It also has a 2 year international warranty which is important as I'll be leaving the UAE this summer.

Tanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The key details for me are the ****ty low res screen, the slow 5400 rpm platter drive, the single channel memory and the overall clunky bulky size and weight of it. Yeah it will play games badly, but at what cost. Its not going to be what you would define as responsive or fast because of the hard-drive, its going to be heavy with a crap battery life and the screen will make browsing websites painful due to the lack of vertical real estate on a 15 inch screen? Your compromising and getting the worst of all worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the response. It's given me, ummm, some pause for thought!! :D

Would the resolution make all that much of a difference?

What would you recommend then- go for an i5 or something, and a higher resolution screen? Or Similar?

Would you have any of your own recommendations?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

1080p screen, I5u+ and a SSD drive. 13inch makes it a more portable and usable machine on the go.

A good example would be the 1200 Euro XPS 13 from Dell(Ire). You could game on it if you drop the graphics to 720p on low settings, but all in it's a machine that you would be happy to live with for 3-4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lenovo Z50 - 880 delivered.
    • Intel i7-4510U
    • Nvidia Geforce GT840M
    • 8GB DDR3 Ram
    • 8GB + 1TB SSHD
    • Full HD 1080P 15.6" Screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Lenovo Z50 - 880 delivered.
    • Intel i7-4510U
    • Nvidia Geforce GT840M
    • 8GB DDR3 Ram
    • 8GB + 1TB SSHD
    • Full HD 1080P 15.6" Screen

That looks great. The only problem is I'm moving to China and am concerned that if anything goes wrong, it'll be difficult to rectify it from abroad. The HP I linked to above has international warranty which is somewhat reassuring.

I would buy in China but quite a lot of things are blocked there and was hoping to get a good VPN before I went as I don't know how easy they are to acquire once in the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement