Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail want €100 from me for paying them the correct fare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Can we bring the stock responses to an end please?

Yes I know it was a student ticket and yes I know that it needs to be accompanied by an in-date student travelcard. I established that well before this thread was started and don't need every person on the forum to repeat it with their own phrasing.

To put it simply, if you can help me out with the question I had in the opening post, all well and good. If not, then skip over this thread.

It seems you want people to comfort you and say what you did was correct.

It wasn't. You got fined. It happens.

All jokes aside, you can either just pay the €100, learn from it and make sure it never happes to you again. Why not just do what one of the previous posters said and get a new student card and send them a scan of that?

if you really feel so strongly about it, stop using Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes I know it was a student ticket and yes I know that it needs to be accompanied by an in-date student travelcard. I established that well before this thread was started and don't need every person on the forum to repeat it with their own trite phrasing. Yes I made a mistake in not looking at the card a bit more frequently and yes I made an even bigger mistake in my initial assumption that a student ticket actually offered a discount on my route.

To put it simply, if you can help me out with the question I had in the opening post, all well and good. If not, then just skip over this thread.

The question that you posed in the opening post is almost akin to asking whether we know someone senior in the Garda Siochana that can get you off penalty points frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yes I know it was a student ticket and yes I know that it needs to be accompanied by an in-date student travelcard. I established that well before this thread was started and don't need every person on the forum to repeat it with their own trite phrasing. Yes I made a mistake in not looking at the card a bit more frequently and yes I made an even bigger mistake in my initial assumption that a student ticket actually offered a discount on my route.

To put it simply, if you can help me out with the question I had in the opening post, all well and good. If not, then just skip over this thread.

In that case there is no point in you ringing Irish Rail unless its to pay the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know with Dublin bus if you are a student and "don't have your travel card with you(it's stupid to have to pay €10 when you have a college id). You just go to the Dublin bus head quarters with your fine slip and it's cancelled. You no longer have a fine and they even give you back your confiscated ticket. My sister friend (although she is 14) got away with a Luas ticket fine by getting her parents to write in and say she had no money for the Luas ticket.

I say they will let you away with it if you challenge it

hfallada wrote: »
    I know with Dublin bus if you are a student and "don't have your travel card with you(it's stupid to have to pay €10 when you have a college id). You just go to the Dublin bus head quarters with your fine slip and it's cancelled. You no longer have a fine and they even give you back your confiscated ticket. My sister friend (although she is 14) got away with a Luas ticket fine by getting her parents to write in and say she had no money for the Luas ticket.

I say they will let you away with it if you challenge it

If she had no money for a ticket then she shouldnt have been on the Luas. I doubt it if the Luas have a policy of free travel if you get a parent to write to them saying that you are skint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Slightly unethical but OP did you provide them with the number that corresponds with the expired ID? If not simply get yourself a new one and then show them it saying something along the lines of
    'of course I have a travel card, here is the proof that I do'

The system is an ass but sometimes you need to bend it sometimes to make ends meet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

P_1 wrote: »
    Slightly unethical but OP did you provide them with the number that corresponds with the expired ID? If not simply get yourself a new one and then show them it saying something along the lines of
    'of course I have a travel card, here is the proof that I do'

The system is an ass but sometimes you need to bend it sometimes to make ends meet
    Don't think that can be done. The ID I had with me was checked and as far as I remember, the ID number is on the ticket itself which was confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I know with Dublin Bus you have 28 days to either present your valid student travelcard or pay the fine.

Contact IR customer services and ask is it the same.

They *may* catch you out if you had the old card number on the front, although I know with DB they know you may have just purchased it to have the fine cancelled.

Edit - I see you did have the number on it. If you can have the fine waived by presenting a new card you should be fine, if not, you may have no other option and hence an appeal would be wasting everyone's time...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Don't think that can be done. The ID I had with me was checked and as far as I remember, the ID number is on the ticket itself which was confiscated.

Then I'm afraid your only options are either to pay them the ton or appeal it to court which would probably cost you more than a ton.

That's the only way to get things overturned from what I can tell

• Advertisement

Then in this case, how you feel it seems and what is aren't the same thing in this case.

Yes it wasn't correct. Yes I got fined. Now I want to see if there's anyone at Irish Rail who may be able to show some flexibility in the matter who can see that considering the circumstances and lack of any loss of revenue, a fine of €100 may be unreasonably high. The "transgression" so to speak didn't lead to any lost revenue or negative effect.

Now please, the OP.

Ring them and find out, its the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP go through the normal appeals process and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this ridiculous approach of "Oh look, we've trapped one and we've got a chance to fish out over €100 from their wallet, show no mercy lads!" that's going to make me despise their company, consider changing to the bus or some other way of commuting and spread nothing but negative publicity.
    unfortunately that is true for this country, the 100 euro penalty fair was brought in to deter passengers from
    1. not paying the fair/correct fair
    2. traveling without a ticket.
    3. traveling with an invalid ticket.
    however what is happening is that this is driving customers to other methods of transport, because even though these people have fallen fowel of the rules their being caught in some cases for something simple which could be solved by just forcing said persons to pay the full fair, if they don't pay the full fair within a set number of days, then impose the penalty fair and keep putting it up and up and up until they do pay, that might be a better option, its not that the rules and penalty fair is a problem, its just that their not getting the results they should

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Locked by request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement