Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads, signposts etc

Options
  • 04-08-2003 4:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

Just back in Cork after a weekend in Newbridge and Dublin and a few things have to be said:

1. Watergrasshill on the main Cork - Dublin road is not to place to dig a hole blocking one lane on the firday of a bank holiday weekend,

2. It would be good to have a few more signs along the road saying how far it is to Dublin and intermediate places - these signs seem to be only present on the Port Laoise - Dublin leg,

3. On the Port Laoise bypass motorway (ha) you get 200m notice that the fast lane (in which you can do 70mph) is disappearing because the M-way is going back to normal bog standard road. Thankfully traffic was light and I didn´t see anyone getting stuck but who knows...,

4. I had reason to go from Ballsbridge to Skerries and there were sweet all signs - you get brought into Pearse Street and thats it for signs until you have navigated to Dorset St.. God help the tourists and indeed all those people still trying to get to the match...,

5. Why do the speed limits on the M1 and M50 seem to fluctuate with no rhyme or reason ?,

6. Why do people stay out in the overtaking lane on the M50 doing 60mph with an empty inside lane ?

7. Why do NI registered trucks take so long to pull over...?

Thats it.. the end of my rant...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by parsi

3. On the Port Laoise bypass motorway (ha) you get 200m notice that the fast lane (in which you can do 70mph) is disappearing because the M-way is going back to normal bog standard road. Thankfully traffic was light and I didn´t see anyone getting stuck but who knows...,

This sort of thing really bugs me, Motorways and other high speed roads require a much higher standard of signposting but the powers that be (NRA I assume) don't seem to understand this, exits and changes in lanes need to be "counted down to" at every occassion, with warning signs starting from 1 km out.

6. Why do people stay out in the overtaking lane on the M50 doing 60mph with an empty inside lane ?

Ah one of the great mysteries except its not, ppl sems to think
    the outside lane is for driving in when its for overtaking only!
    At least on the Naas Dual Carrigeway where right lane driving
    is the norm you have right turns...(not that there shoud be right turns on a dual carrigeway of course!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

was driving between dublin and cork over the weekend too..
    you forgot to add number 8

8) Why do English regisitered cars blatantly flout the speed limit (80mph +)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Why do English regisitered cars blatantly flout the speed limit (80mph +)

Are they very likely to pay their speeding ticket ... you can chase people in Northern Ireland and vica versa, but not the english ...
    Why do people stay out in the overtaking lane on the M50 doing 60mph with an empty inside lane ?

because people are allowed to drive a car etc without passing a driving test ... yes I am aware these people aren't supposed to be on the motorway ... but then again they aren't suppose to be driving unsupervised on their first or third license now are they ....
    5. Why do the speed limits on the M1 and M50 seem to fluctuate with no rhyme or reason ?,

M1 the speed goes down only as you approach the port tunnel works, it is 70 from Dundalk to the Airport apart from that ...

M50 it goes from a 70 to 60 on its final leg ... tallaght to dundrum ... I presume because of the more pronouced corners ....
    Watergrasshill on the main Cork - Dublin road is not to place to dig a hole blocking one lane on the firday of a bank holiday weekend,

ah the joys of roadworks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    Are they very likely to pay their speeding ticket ... you can chase people in Northern Ireland and vica versa, but not the english ...
    That is in the process of changing, with police forces across the EU being able to summons across borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

indeed as is the provisional driver situation, granted you couldn't change this overnight, the country would grind to a hault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

the country would grind to a hault
    well its not exactly flowing freely at the moment:D :p

Advertisement