Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten getting "the snip"

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i swear there should probably be a sticky just for me and my kitten for all the threads i have started bout her :D

So she is getting the snip on wednesday and i was just wondering what to expect? Have been told to starve her from tues evening so will give her a good feedin on tues to keep her going.

Anything else i should know/prepare for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

My kitten was fine after it, She was alert and meowing at me when i went back to collect her as if to say, "where have you been". Think its the type of anesthetic they use these day's as I was expecting her to be all dopey and out of it.
    I would just make sure she has somewhere nice and cosy to settle in to when you bring her home and feed her a little bit at a time in case she is sick after the anesthetic. If she's wearing a collar (likely) make sure she can actually get to the food and water with it on. Keep an eye on the wound to make sure it doesn't get inflamed and that she can't reach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

She'll be pretty quiet after, well my little fella was, he came home and conked out on my lap! Next morning he was mewing up the stairs at 7am for his brekkie having made a full recovery! Just keep her litter tray near is all the advice I really have, they can still be pretty groggy but just give her loads of cuddles and she'll be fine, next day she'll be back to her usual playful kitten self good luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Hi OP, don't worry about this procedure, you're doing the responsible thing in having her neutered.
    If you're particularly worried about the anaesthesia, maybe ask the vet to carry out a 'Pre-Ga' blood panel before she has the anaesthetic administered, this test checks for kidney / liver function, which are important to for the metabolism and elimination of anaesthetic drugs in the body. Its very unusual to find any abnormalities in young animals, but just for peace of mind it's not a bad idea. It can identify problems that aren't yet apparent, and the drugs / procedure can be altered accordingly.
    I probably wouldn't be inclined to give her an 'extra big' feed on Tuesday to keep her going, just feed her her normal amount that you normally would, but nothing after about 9pm, obviously leave water available for her at all time. The reason that animals are fasted before a procedure is, like in humans, it decreases the risk of vomiting under general anaesthesia and it also prevents a full stomach from pressing down onto the diaphragm and hindering respiration. The vets aren't doing it to be mean! She can have a small meal when she comes home if she's up to it just to tide her over for the night.
    Depending on the surgeons preference, she'll most likely be spayed lying on her side, and will have an incision on her flank, she'll also have some hair clipped up from the area too, but it'll grow back very quickly.
    The most important thing that you can do for her when she comes home is keep her indoors (for the duration that the sutures are in place) and nice and warm, particularly the night she comes home. Her depth perception is likely to be affected for a few hours post-anaesthesia, so no jumping onto furniture, 'mad-five-minutes' etc.
    She'll be a bit groggy and quiet for a day or so, but most are back to themselves after that. Keep a close eye on the wound, monitor it for swelling, discharge (bloody or otherwise), gaping, inflammation etc. If she's bothering the wound, you may have to resort to using one of those 'buster' collars to prevent her from biting at the sutures.
    Can't think of anything else TBH, its a relatively straightforward and very commonly done procedure, she'll be fine!!
    Sorry for the long post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's a picture of one of ours after her 'op' to let you know what to expect (assuming the vet uses the same technique as Ruby Soho described above).

2079rae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Our girl was still unconscious when i collected her (the vet only kept her for half and hour after the op though!)

She started to come round very slowly and spent a good 2 hours hauling herself around the travel cot i had her in by the front legs unable to stand as she hadn't regained full sensation. In the end she did a poo all over herself and then somehow managed to jump out of the cot and climb on the sofa of the playroom covered in poo :rolleyes:... she was still really wobbly though and fell off the couch once or twice :D I cleaned her up, put her back in the travel cot with fresh bedding and put some water down for her and she was practically her usual self the next morning (op was at 4.30 in the afternoon)

The incision may look very raised and odd until the stitches come out, don't panic as it'll flatten out when the stitches are removed. The hair should grow back completely within a month or two.

• Advertisement

That's crazy, an animal should never be discharged after surgery until its fully conscious and alert.

That vet is crazy :D

I'm currently treating a kitten's eye with ointment for a cows udder as that's what he had to hand when i brought him an emergancy case. It's working though...

He's a large animal vet mostly, did the operation on a plywood table in his study in his own home. I had no choice, the other vet in town refused to spay her while she was nursing and she had a habit of getting preg within weeks of giving birth... in fact when he spayed her she was pregnant with 6 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

PinkTulips wrote: »
    That vet is crazy :D
    He's a large animal vet mostly, did the operation on a plywood table in his study in his own home. I had no choice, the other vet in town refused to spay her while she was nursing and she had a habit of getting preg within weeks of giving birth... in fact when he spayed her she was pregnant with 6 more.

That doesn't sound like a decent vet- it's a completely routine operation, hardly an emergency, so she should have had it in a proper operating surgery.
    I have no idea why you chose to let her have that operation. You had plenty of choice- all you had to do was just keep her away from males until she had finished nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Thanks for all the replies folks, she is going in at 9 tomorrow morning and i was told i could collect her around the 3 mark so i am guessing they will keep her until the anaesthetic wears off

Ruby solo dont worry about the long post put me at ease if anything, i might just ask them to do that pre-ga test as she has had some problems peeing in various places, she was on noroclav twice a day for a week and had an injection in the vets it seemed to ease up but she is in heat now and peeing so i dont know if it is from the heat or her other problem

Actually re-reading your post is that pre-ga test just for the breakdown of anaesthetic or can it identify kidney problems in general?

EDIT: Just rang the vets on a hunch and it turns out they cant (or wont) do it while she is in heat so i have to call again when she is out of it a few days and arrange another appointment

Magenta wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a decent vet- it's a completely routine operation, hardly an emergency, so she should have had it in a proper operating surgery.
    I have no idea why you chose to let her have that operation. You had plenty of choice- all you had to do was just keep her away from males until she had finished nursing.

If she gave any indication of being in heat that would be true but she never showed any signs whatsoever, very odd. Also, she's an adopted stray, locking her up at that time wasn't really an option as she wasn't yet used to being a house cat.

Thanks for the opinions though, always helpful months after the fact. :rolleyes:

btw, he did the op in his house as he doesn't have a surgery, like i mentioned, he's mostly a large animal vet but as the other vet in town never wants to know (i'm not the only one who has problems getting him to see my animals) i'd rather they were seen by someone than not at all.

• Advertisement

Well, the pre-ga testing is basically a general panel for kidney / liver function including blood glucose. Its gives a good overview of general organ health, but if more specific diagnoses are needed, more specific testing can be done.
    It is usually a good indicator of problems in the organs prior to the administration of certain drugs. We do these tests very frequently in my clinic before surgical procedures, primarily in older animals with whom we would expect or anticipate more systemic health problems, but more commonly in young animals undergoing routine procedures too, just in case ;)
    Elevated readings in these tests do not automatically mean that a patient has a certain life threatening disease, they can be altered due to many things, like stress, the animals life-stage, current medication whether or not the animal has eaten etc.. but, in conjunction with clinical signs and medical history, they are usually a good indicator of general health if the readings are all normal.
    Some of the tests that make up the pre-ga panel are indeed some that you would use to diagnose kidney disease or renal failure, but you would be more likely to make a diagnosis based on a series of tests over a few days, as one elevate Urea sample (AKA blood urea nitrogen) may be caused by dehydration and can be corrected with intravenous fluids. However, if over a few days on IVFT, the values are still rising then a diagnosis of kidney failure is more likely. You would always consider other symptoms and clinical signs too before making a diagnosis like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for the opinions though, always helpful months after the fact. :rolleyes:

btw, he did the op in his house as he doesn't have a surgery, like i mentioned, he's mostly a large animal vet but as the other vet in town never wants to know (i'm not the only one who has problems getting him to see my animals) i'd rather they were seen by someone than not at all.

And I suppose they're the only two vets in the country, are they? :rolleyes:

PS You're welcome!!!!!!!!! :):):)

2 vets within 20 miles of us yes, both employed contractually by the dairy and therefore hard to get to take an interest in 'just a pet cat'.

My friend has lost 2 foals because of them refusing to come out and help her horses in difficult labours :(

A sad fact of living in the country is you're treated as a weirdo for having a cat or dog as a pet instead of just rodent control... i was laughed at for asking about microchipping by one.

OP, have you heard from the vet yet? Did all go well? Hope she recovers quickly once you get her home this evening :)

Ruby thanks alot for the info i am gonna wait and see when she is out of heat if she is still peeing i will insist on the pre-ga and other kidney tests just to be sure better safe then sorry

pinktulips i am guessing you didnt see my update edit, the vet wont do it while she is in heat so i have to ring next week when she is out of heat and get her booked in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

GAAman wrote: »
    Ruby thanks alot for the info i am gonna wait and see when she is out of heat if she is still peeing i will insist on the pre-ga and other kidney tests just to be sure better safe then sorry

pinktulips i am guessing you didnt see my update edit, the vet wont do it while she is in heat so i have to ring next week when she is out of heat and get her booked in

When our two got done, the female had to wear a collar for two weeks. She went absolutely berserk for a while because she kept banging it against walls and had difficulty eating. Also, she had great difficulty cleaning herself. Luckily her brother gave her a hand.
    She also used to wake us up in the middle of the night and get us to scratch her behind her ears - she couldn't do that with the collar on y'see!

Anyway, she was fine but remember, she might seem very distressed afterwards if she has the collar on. She'll be fine the next morning though.

Some vets don't use the collar because they make the incision elsewhere apparently.

Heroditas just out of interest how did you feed and give her water? Just in case mine has to wear a collar

What a nuisance GAAman.... did they give a reson why they won't? I know my parents cat was bundled off to the vet in heat and it was done no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I never needed the collar on my female, but she was done v. early (9 wks) and the incision is a <1" cut in the belly that only needs two stitches to close it. Another advantage of early neutering.

What a nuisance GAAman.... did they give a reson why they won't? I know my parents cat was bundled off to the vet in heat and it was done no bother.

They didnt give any reason, i just rang on a hunch had a feelin the heat would cause a problem but didnt know why, the secretary didnt know so went and asked the vet and came back and said no so i am guessing there is a good reason. Anyway she is out of it today so i will ring and book her in next week

Well she is goin in tomorrow morning any last bits of advice for me folks?

Anyone who's cat had a collar how did you feed them and give them water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Best of luck with it! You'll be amazed at how quickly she'll recover, I'm sure of it!

To eat and drink with the collar on - you may need to raise the food/water bowls a bit eg. put them up on a step or on top of a brick/argos catalogue etc. You may also need to use smaller bowls than usual so that the edge of the collar goes around the edge of the bowl and she can get her face close to the grub! :D

My first cat Milly didn't have a collar and she got on fine and dandy without it. She licked her stitches the first evening so I had to keep an eye on her to ensure she didn't pull them out.

The second cat, Pippin, had a collar and she seemed much more miserable in it that Milly did without. The collar was taken off by a family member after a few days as poor Pippin couldn't clean herself properly and was really unhappy in it.

See how your girl is coping with the collar. If she is very depressed with it, I'd take it off after a few days and just watch that she isn't at her stitches too much.

tbh cats are generally fairly sensible, none of the cats i've known have had collars and none of them went at the stitches so chances are she'll be fine without it if you need to take it off.

Hope all went well :)

Hope all went well :)

Well she was back with me at 5 this evenin and it has been a slow process but she went from bein totally out of it (eyes open but glazed over type) to bein half here but only her front two legs worked so i had to watch over her and stop her from moving. She slept for like an hour and was a bit groggy when she woke but more responsive, she followed my hand this time (earlier i was worried she couldnt see she would only move her head in the direction of sounds)

Now she is walkin albeit sideways and gingerly but she is not takin food or water i have tried giving her little bits and even putting water on my fingertip (she likes yogurt this way) but not a thing. She peed a little bit on the cover i have down for her earlier i dont know if this was water she had earlier in vets or the water she had yesterday

Will stay with her tonight and stay awake just in case (with a bloody exam on thurs mornin :( ) oh had the pre ga test all clear so thats one bit of relief

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

She won't have any appetite until the morning and will be fine after a good night's sleep :)

How is she this morning?

Heroditas wrote: »
    She won't have any appetite until the morning and will be fine after a good night's sleep :)

You were pretty much right there Heroditas i took her upstairs so i could try get some sleep brought up her food water and litter and was halfway to sleep when i heard her munchin and drinkin then at around 5 this mornin she was tearin around my bedroom like normal so i brought her downstairs again and she was grand
    How is she this morning?

When i got up she was curled up in her usual spot in the livin room in her chair then she woke up shortly after and has been her normal self since, she can walk perfectly now instead of the drunken crab walk she did yesterday :) she isnt herself personality wise if you know what i mean but sure that will take time

She'll be back to herself in a day or two, my girl was playing like a kitten within days and she forgave me after about a week and caught me a mouse to make up... sadly that day i had to bring her to have her stitches out so she was even crosser afterwards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

My sister had her female cats spayed in Donegal, and they had large incisions (2 inches), and they were wiped out for literally days. They had to be minded around the clock.

We just had our male and female cats done last week. The male had no bother on him as soon as the drugs wore off. The female has an incision that is 1cm long, with 2 stitches which will dissolve, and she was really fine the next day. She seemed to sleep a bit more, but she was quite playful. We were amazed.

I think there's such a huge difference in practice from place to place.

She'll be back to herself in a day or two, my girl was playing like a kitten within days and she forgave me after about a week and caught me a mouse to make up... sadly that day i had to bring her to have her stitches out so she was even crosser afterwards :D

Took her to the vet for the stitches to be removed the other day and it was grand she didnt feel a thing, think she was more traumatised at the sight of the vets and the five dogs in the waiting room more then anything else :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement