Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't change DNS name servers, HELP!

Options
  • 14-07-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

I have terrible problem and I'm totally desperate.
    Need to change DNS name servers for my .ie domains, bought at register365.ie to host them at JustHost.
    Was doing all they ask me to do, but I receive an email:

"Dear customer,

There were problems redelegating monologue.ie to the following
    nameservers:

ns1.justhost. com
    ns2.justhost. com

The error message received from the registry/registrar was:

Parameter value policy error. No authoritative answers obtained

You may re-attempt this procedure with different nameservers by logging
    into your account at admin.register365.com

When I ask them via support ticker, what's going on, receive that information:

"We have looked into this further for you and believe we have found why the IEDR are rejecting this change.

On the justhost nameservers your domain holds the following ns records:

ns1.rafalwepa. com.
    ns2.rafalwepa. com.

As the desired nameservers are showing themselves as not authoritative for your domain name it is causing the whole process to fail.

So in this case Justhost are wrong in saying the zone file is set up correctly as the ns records should actually be:

ns1.justhost. com
    ns2.justhost. com

Please contact Justhost and request they correct this record prior to changing the nameservers.

Please note that our services are making the correct changes, and due to a miss configuration on the Justhost nameservers the IEDR are rejecting the change."

Then I ask JustHost what's going on and they answer:

"I am sorry for the problem you have experienced. We understand that you are having problem updating monologue.ie nameserver to

ns1.justhost. com (74.220.195.45)
    ns2.justhost. com (69.89.16.126)

So where did you register this domain from? You need contact them to change nameserver. If same error keeping happeneding to you, please take a screen shot to illustrate the problem."

And I'm helpless. My clients are angry, I can't use my emails and I basically stuck in the middle.
    Could someone please tell me what I should do now?
    I will be grateful for all constructive comments, thanks.

Rafal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Rafaello wrote: »

And I'm helpless. My clients are angry, I can't use my emails and I basically stuck in the middle.
    Could someone please tell me what I should do now?
    I will be grateful for all constructive comments, thanks.

Rafal.

even when you get it sorted out, it might take a day or two for the dns's to take heed

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rafaello

gctest50 wrote: »
    even when you get it sorted out, it might take a day or two for the dns's to take heed

Yes, I know but nothing works. I just can't change those name servers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It might be easier to use Register 365's name servers, and point the MX and A records to JH's IPs. Tjhis is generally more redundant and quicker to setup with less downtime.

Then once all that's done, change the name servers.

With that set up all emails are blocked, and it doesn't work either.

When we try to change those names we have nice message on 356's site, something like: " thank you, plead allow 12 h to blah blah blah..." and then after a minute we receive error message via email (in my first post).

So there is nothing I can do probably. Or they are amateurs or they wants to force me to buy their hosting packages.
    In both cases I loose money and reputation and won't leave that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd bet that the MX for your domain is not supposed to point at the nameservers.
    It doesn't accept port 25 traffic (as a nameserver shouldn't).

It should be pointing at the mail server / filter that accepts mail for your clients. Is this still reg365?

Check with reg365, but a browse of the support pages suggests that this was meant to be left pointing at mx1.reg365.net and mx2.reg365.net.
    http://www.register365.com/knowledge/customer_guides_reference/technical_reference/control_panel/930-changing_the_dns_settings_for_my_domain_name.html
    nslookup
    > server 8.8.8.8
    > monologue.ie
    Server: [8.8.8.8]
    Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: monologue.ie
    Address: 162.144.83.95

> set type=any
    > monologue.ie
    Server: [8.8.8.8]
    Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    monologue.ie
    primary name server = ns0.reg365.net
    responsible mail addr = support.reg365.net
    serial = 2014070901
    refresh = 28800 (8 hours)
    retry = 3600 (1 hour)
    expire = 604800 (7 days)
    default TTL = 86400 (1 day)
    monologue.ie MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = ns2.justhost.com
    monologue.ie nameserver = ns1.reg365.net
    monologue.ie nameserver = ns0.reg365.net
    monologue.ie nameserver = ns2.reg365.net
    monologue.ie internet address = 162.144.83.95
    monologue.ie MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = ns1.justhost.com

• Advertisement

The MX records are for the mail server, as another poster said, I don't think it's right to have these set to the name servers. I suspect that it may be mail.monologue.ie based on your other records. It's probably best to contact them and ask, hence why you cannot receive emails.

Don't forget the SPF records.

http://who.is/dns/monologue.ie

ressem wrote: »
    I'd bet that the MX for your domain is not supposed to point at the nameservers.
    It doesn't accept port 25 traffic (as a nameserver shouldn't).

It should be pointing at the mail server / filter that accepts mail for your clients.

I have port 26 here.

I have port 26 here.

No, SMTP is on port 25. Ask Just Host what the MX server is and then set it up on Register 365's side.

If you have your own mail server, put in the IP of it there instead. Definitely not the name servers (ns1, ns2)

I have port 26 here.

External company wants to deliver a mail to you.
    Their Outlook / thunderbird client will submit the mail using RPC or SMTP-submit port 587.
    Their company mail server will accept this.

Their server will get the domain name bit of the email address @yourclient.com
    It'll do a nameserver lookup of the domain's MX record for the server handling mail delivery for your client.
    (the value set for your client currently points to the wrong machine.)

Their server will try to deliver the mail to your clients server on port 25 (SMTP-MTA). If you've moved this to 26 then it's not going to know this; it's going to see a closed port 25 and assume that your server mail has shut off, and it'll retry in a few hours, after which it'll give up.

But the primary question is what company is receiving, storing and providing access to your clients mails. At the moment they are being queued on the servers of the originating senders, ready to be bounced permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

The best way to do this is to let Register365 manage the DNS records.

Simply point the A record on your Register365 control panel to your hosting server in JustHost.

There's nothing to be gained by having JustHost manage the DNS records.

• Advertisement

Kinet1c wrote: »
    The best way to do this is to let Register365 manage the DNS records.

Simply point the A record on your Register365 control panel to your hosting server in JustHost.

There's nothing to be gained by having JustHost manage the DNS records.

As I wrote before this is what I did first. It's not working.

As I wrote before this is what I did first. It's not working.

Create a new MX record on the Register 365 Control Panel:
    1. Type: MX (Mail Exchange)
    2. Server/IP/Host: mail.monologue.ie
    3. Level/Priority: 5
    4. TTL: 300
    5. Save Changes

Then delete the 2 MX records ns1.justhost.com and ns2.justhost.ie

This should work. I suggest you put the priority as 5 because this will be higher than the ns1.justhost.com and ns2.justhost.com entries which are at 10. It is also probably faster to register with other DNS servers. I would set the TTL (Time To Live) as 300 (5 minutes) so if this happens again the downtime would probably be about 5 minutes or so.

Having TTL as a day is not recommended. Just Host have it that long to try to reduce the number of requests they receive I think.

Sorry Rafaello. Is repairing the email setup the primary priority for you?

1. Identify to what server do the clients laptops connect to collect their email.

Is this pop3.reg365.net / Imap.reg365.net?

If so, then based on the reg365 support page listed earlier, you need to go to the reg365 control panel then

"Domain Names"> "DNS and Transfer Options" > "DNS Settings"
    The bottom of that is mail exchange records
    and the result should be set to
    mx1.reg365.net
    and
    mx2.reg365.net
    as displayed in the screenshot.
    http://www.register365.com/knowledge/customer_guides_reference/technical_reference/control_panel/930-changing_the_dns_settings_for_my_domain_name.html
    at the bottom of the page.

2)
    If the clients are set to retrieve mail from mail.monologue.ie and you have created the new email accounts with justhost.com then the mx set in the reg365 control panel should be mail.monologue.ie.

ressem wrote: »
    Sorry Rafaello. Is repairing the email setup the primary priority for you?

1. Identify to what server do the clients laptops connect to collect their email.

Is this pop3.reg365.net / Imap.reg365.net?

If so, then based on the reg365 support page listed earlier, you need to go to the reg365 control panel then

"Domain Names"> "DNS and Transfer Options" > "DNS Settings"
    The bottom of that is mail exchange records
    and the result should be set to
    mx1.reg365.ie
    and
    mx1.reg365.ie
    as displayed in the screenshot.
    at the bottom of the page.

2)
    If the clients are set to retrieve mail from mail.monologue.ie and you have created the new email accounts with justhost.com then the mx set in the reg365 control panel should be mail.monologue.ie.

I assumed the OP's web and mail hosting is with Just Host and that he/she used Reg365 to register the domain name as it was a .ie domain.

Hence why I suggested using mail as the MX record. By the way to the OP, you can just set the MX record to mail or 162.144.83.95 instead of mail.monologue.ie (whatever floats your boat).

Mr. G wrote: »
    I assumed the OP's web and mail hosting is with Just Host and that he/she used Reg365 to register the domain name as it was a .ie domain.

Hence why I suggested using mail as the MX record. By the way to the OP, you can just set the MX record to mail or 162.144.83.95 instead of mail.monologue.ie (whatever floats your boat).

You're right, based on the OPs post. And I left enough typos in my last post (preserved in the quote) to make things worse. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Switching DNS servers shouldn't be an issue.

If the new provider's DNS does not pass the IEDR's tech check then their DNS servers aren't configured properly, so I'd wonder what else wasn't setup correctly ..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Guys, this topic's banned in the forum charter. Thread closed. OP, contact your ISP's tech support people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement