Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost licence… Passport out of date...

Options
  • 30-01-2015 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭

As above, I discovered last week that my licence is lost/stolen etc, no idea where it is, and have searched high and low for it.

Anyway, I cannot use my passport as this is over a year out of date (never renewed as I have no money to travel!!!)

I have been onto the NDLS site and I can't make out if I need photographic identity, as I'm replacing a current licence, and I have no idea where my long version birth cert is!

Any help greatly received!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

deportation looming for sure. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Deport me back to my ma's gaf?

Please do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#where-you-are-applying-for-a-replacement-for-a-lost-stolen-or-damaged-licence-you-must-submit
    Where you are applying for a replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged licence, you must submit:
    •A fully completed NDLS Application Form for a Driving Licence D401
    •The appropriate fee
    •You must ensure the Garda Declaration on page 2 of the application form is completed
    •Photographic ID. In the case of a damaged licence alternative ID will be required
    •Documentation to verify your PPSN
    •A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case. Only required for a replacement if there has been a change in medical fitness since your last application.
    •Evidence of address dated within the last 6 months is required where there has been any change in your address since your last application
    According to the above you'll need photo ID as you have lost rather than merely damaged your licence. A Public Services Card would do if you have one.
    Don't sign the form until you have a Garda there to witness you signing it.

Never had a public services card thanks be to G! Looks like I'll have to renew my passport to get a driving licence… Such rigmarole!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Never had a public services card thanks be to G! Looks like I'll have to renew my passport to get a driving licence… Such rigmarole!
    It's always worth talking to them directly, they already have your picture on file so there may be some leeway. No harm trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vologda69

You simply need to download an NDLS identity form from their website, stick a photo on it and get it stamped (details on the form). A long version birth cert can be ordered online from Births, deaths and marriages website. Not exactly a hugh amount of effort required. And much cheaper than a passport. The two together form your photo ID and proof of residency. Alternatively apply for the free photo public services card (nothing shameful about possessing one!) and use that with your long form birth cert. Proof of your PPSN (and change of address if applicable) is also required. Full details are available in the Checklist that comes with the application form that you can print out from the NDLS website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So what if its out of date ?
    It's still you in the pic.

It only needs to be in date to travel somewhere. .

You're assuming they read them anyway. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks for all the replies folks, I have the info I need now, I just didn't find the NDLS site useful or easy to navigate anyway.

Appreciate the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

galwaytt wrote: »
    So what if its out of date ?
    It's still you in the pic.

It only needs to be in date to travel somewhere. .

You're assuming they read them anyway. ...

An Irish passport out of date no more than a year is acceptable
    Vologda69 wrote: »
    You simply need to download an NDLS identity form from their website, stick a photo on it and get it stamped (details on the form). A long version birth cert can be ordered online from Births, deaths and marriages website. Not exactly a hugh amount of effort required. And much cheaper than a passport. The two together form your photo ID and proof of residency. Alternatively apply for the free photo public services card (nothing shameful about possessing one!) and use that with your long form birth cert. Proof of your PPSN (and change of address if applicable) is also required. Full details are available in the Checklist that comes with the application form that you can print out from the NDLS website.

MAKE SURE the Guard fills your name in twice in block capitals at the bottom. You would be surprised how many Certs of ID aren't filled in correctly by the Guard and it has to be fully filled out (but a Garda stamp isn't actually necessary :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Never had a public services card thanks be to G! Looks like I'll have to renew my passport to get a driving licence… Such rigmarole![/QUOTE
    Could be wrong but even though its out of date, the passport is still a valid form of ID

• Advertisement

9935452 wrote: »
    Never had a public services card thanks be to G! Looks like I'll have to renew my passport to get a driving licence… Such rigmarole![/QUOTE
    Could be wrong but even though its out of date, the passport is still a valid form of ID
    Only if it's less than 12 months expired. A passport that has expired by more than 12months is not valid ID for NDLS.
    https://www.ndls.ie/documents-that-will-not-be-accepted.html

Advertisement