Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump causing Airlock?

Options
  • 29-01-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

We have a 2 bar positive head Grundfos pump, seated on the ground in our downstairs hotpress, beside the hot water cylinder. Cold water tank is up in attic. The pump pressurises all water supplies in the 3 bathrooms, incl toilets. We only use the pump for filling the bath/ shower.

The problem: after having a shower, it is very difficult to get water to flow in the taps upstairs. To solve it, we have to go to downstairs bathroom and turn on mixer tap in the sink and when the pump kicks on, turn off the pump (switch) and this usually allows water to flow upstairs. All taps in house are mixer taps, shower head is connected to the mixer tap of bath (only 1 shower in house).

My internet research is pointing back to lack of surrey flange, is this correct. From what I can see, it is only a regular connection at top of cylinder feeding the pump.

Has any of you seen this before, or do you need more of a description?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

It sounds more like a supply issue. How many water tanks do you have in the attic? What size are they? Is everything in the house supplied by the tank(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

There is one tank in attic, which I assume supplies everything except the kitchen sink cold tap. The house was built 8 years ago, if that indicates anything about best practice at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Hi, I'm still having problems with this pump set up, if anyone would know a good plumber who could possibly sort this out I would appreciate it, just PM me the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi, I'm still having problems with this pump set up, if anyone would know a good plumber who could possibly sort this out I would appreciate it, just PM me the details.

You'll need to post your location in order for somebody to reccomend a guy

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

hi we are in the same boat, only thing is we have problem with shower, our builder said the plumber needs to feet some king of return water stopping as when the down shower is on it pulls the water from the top shower aswell so it dries, so we left it for a while so have issue only some times , when it will get to nerves we will get it fixed

• Advertisement
Advertisement