Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello boiler system losing heaps of water.

Options
  • 28-01-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there guys,
    Im looking for advice.

I have a riello boiler system heating just 5 rads in a house we have just bought.
    Every day i need to bleed the rad nearest the boiler.

It got so bad that the boiler stopped working. I opened the boiler to have a look. I had to release the top bleed tap on the boiler and wait for a very long time (5 minutes!) until hot water came out. Its working fine now again.

Obviously water is getting out/air is getting into the whole system.
    There is no obvious signs of water leakage from visible joints.

Would you guys have an idea on what i should do/ where to look so to fix this?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
    Dtm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Pull the burner out, and look in the chamber for any sign of water. Often a leak here is burnt away before its seen.

Where is the boiler located - outside ? Check the attic for header tank, see if its filling all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dtm

thanks for the reply mate.
    i have found a leak on the boiler water output (going into the radiators) so i have changed that today.

Im now bleeding the system again (with the quarter turn plastic fob thingy towards the top of the boiler)?) and hopefully it should be A OK.

Will let ye know!
    cheers
    dtm

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

dtm wrote: »
    thanks for the reply mate.
    i have found a leak on the boiler water output (going into the radiators) so i have changed that today.

Im now bleeding the system again (with the quarter turn plastic fob thingy towards the top of the boiler)?) and hopefully it should be A OK.

Will let ye know!
    cheers
    dtm

That would be the pressure release valve (PRV) Do you always bleed your system using this? I ask this because when these are opened manually they don't always re seal when closed and this could be the source of your leak. Is your system pressurised or do you have a small tank in the attic?

Advertisement