Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda fleet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jesus. wrote: »
    The Guards have been given 20 new Insignia Estates. 2.0 CDTI Bi-turbo with 195 nags (& 295 torques).

That's a bit more like it compared to some of the under-powered sh1t heaps they have to chase crims in.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/garda-traffic-corps-get-20-new-opels-in-2015-30925585.html

Even if they gave them Lambo's, without proper training and a plan to stop a car it will end in carnage or the Keystone Cops version with 8 or 9 garda cars chasing a car directly behind it resembling a Paddys Day Parade like we have seen on Youtube so many times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Are our Plods less trained than other Country's, Atlantic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That's a bit more like it compared to some of the under-powered sh1t heaps they have to chase crims in.

Takes a fair amount of horsepower to catch up with a 2 day head start alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Realistically a single brand solution probably wont work.

The m50, m7 and m1 would benefit from a bmw 540i / 550i touring.

Regional units in remote areas would be best served by subaru forresters or similar

City runarounds could do with something volvo s40 like , big focus on safety especially for pedestrians

Undercover units could do with something sleeper like with excellent handling , petrol 2.5-3.0 litre but looks just like a family saloon

Really rural , mountain type areas could use a few pajeros / landcruisers at their disposal

This business of unifying on ford or toyota or whoever is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Realistically a single brand solution probably wont work.

The m50, m7 and m1 would benefit from a bmw 540i / 550i touring.

Regional units in remote areas would be best served by subaru forresters or similar

City runarounds could do with something volvo s40 like , big focus on safety especially for pedestrians

Undercover units could do with something sleeper like with excellent handling , petrol 2.5-3.0 litre but looks just like a family saloon

Really rural , mountain type areas could use a few pajeros / landcruisers at their disposal

This business of unifying on ford or toyota or whoever is nonsense.

They have all of the above believe it or not. I think there were even ST220's in the Mondeo fleet. There's at least one Focus ST somewhere around the border last time I saw it.

As regards the Ford / Toyota business, you'll find that certain TDs etc have connections to certain dealerships which influence tenders etc etc. The usual Irish carry on.

But as has been said, unless these cars are deployed in the right hands with the right training and not cherry picks by the old hands in the station as its the 'new car' then this is pointless. Also, the very best of luck going up against anything even remotely quick. Stock a Golf GTI or Clio 197 has more under the hood, and that's before you start to consider the S3, 353d, M3's etc.

Looks good, means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,009 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think I seen new Hyundai's up here in Donegal, probably i40s?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

NIMAN wrote: »

Yea they have them everywhere and i don't know what they except to catch with them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,009 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Daaryl wrote: »
    Yea they have them everywhere and i don't know what they except to catch with them :pac:

Maybe Criminals in Hyundai i30s?:D

Maybe Criminals in Hyundai i30s?:D

More like the i20's :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

All the Mondeo's are gone from Castlebar and have been replaced by Hyundai i40 estates. I haven't seen any Opel's based in mayo for at least 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

toyota avensis , landcruiser, yaris , hyundai, ford mondeo / focus all here in cavan what will the get in a yaris ill never know

mossy50 wrote: »
    toyota avensis , landcruiser, yaris , hyundai, ford mondeo / focus all here in cavan what will the get in a yaris ill never know

There's a video of a lad drifting around a roundabout in a skyline and a gaurds in a yaris trying to chase him lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

At least the scruffs can sit in comfort now. Lord knows they need it the poor things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I was passed by an unmarked A6 yesterday, so not all of them are slumming it in Hyundais!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

ironclaw wrote: »
    As regards the Ford / Toyota business, you'll find that certain TDs etc have connections to certain dealerships which influence tenders etc etc. The usual Irish carry on.
    Given the public sector procurement and tendering processes in place now are very tightly controlled, I personally could not accept any notion that a some flat cap TD can come along cynically bypass these. Past days maybe, but definetly not now.

If this were the case, why are Hyundai's appearing in modest enough numbers? Probably because these vehicle's specifications meet the requirements of the role at the most cost effective price for the numbers purchased. In other words, they are cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

BMJD wrote: »
    I was passed by an unmarked A6 yesterday, so not all of them are slumming it in Hyundais!

A Ministerial car I'd say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The Guards have been given 20 new Insignia Estates. 2.0 CDTI Bi-turbo with 195 nags (& 295 torques).

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/garda-traffic-corps-get-20-new-opels-in-2015-30925585.html

Is it me or is 295NM quite low for a bi-turbo diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

This is most probably a fire chief whose personal car is modified with blues for response,. Guarentee not Garda car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

bear1 wrote: »
    Is it me or is 295NM quite low for a bi-turbo diesel?
    I'd say that's more likely the lbs/ft figure, which would equate to 400NM. Given the 163bhp single turbo is 350NM, that's the most likely case.

Also, I like this sentence... "Manual handbrakes replace the normal electric handbrakes for operational effectiveness reasons."

Operational effectiveness! Must try that one out some day! :D

There is a completely unmarked 2010 Skoda Octavia Estate on the Nass Road quite regularly. Also, I'm fairly sure its not D reg, so the times of D reg only are starting to end I feel.

• Advertisement

Sligo used have an unmarked Alfa 156 2.5 V6 and an unmarked IS200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The problem with the whole Toyota/Hyundai fleet scenario seems to be - from what I can see - that they will look to buy big numbers of cars in one go - say 150/200/300

And they will then do the deal for ALL of them with one manufacturer - rather then having separate tenders for traffic corps or other sections.

My understanding is that the power of the Insignias puts them in a higher category in terms of Garda driver training - Advanced car is the term used from what I understand from reading threads in the emergency services forum here on boards.

Meaning you need more training to be allowed drive the Insignia bi turbos - then you do to drive a Hyundai.

Someone mentioned ST220s - I think I saw mention that there was 3.0 Ghia/non ST Mondeos in the old (2006/07 era) Mondeo fleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Old diesel wrote: »
    The problem with the whole Toyota/Hyundai fleet scenario seems to be - from what I can see - that they will look to buy big numbers of cars in one go - say 150/200/300

And they will then do the deal for ALL of them with one manufacturer - rather then having separate tenders for traffic corps or other sections.

My understanding is that the power of the Insignias puts them in a higher category in terms of Garda driver training - Advanced car is the term used from what I understand from reading threads in the emergency services forum here on boards.

Meaning you need more training to be allowed drive the Insignia bi turbos - then you do to drive a Hyundai.

Someone mentioned ST220s - I think I saw mention that there was 3.0 Ghia/non ST Mondeos in the old (2006/07 era) Mondeo fleet.

the idea of needing new training to drive a sub 200bhp fwd tractor around says an awful lot about this country and its attitude to motoring

the idea of needing new training to drive a sub 200bhp fwd tractor around says an awful lot about this country and its attitude to motoring

Id imagine the role that the cars are used for dictates the extra training.

In other words - a 2.0 195 ps Insignia is intended to do a different role then a 1.7 diesel Hyundai - that's where the training requirement comes from I imagine.

Anyway - I don't know - that's just what I recall reading over on the emergency services forum.

Id imagine the role that the cars are used for dictates the extra training.

In other words - a 2.0 195 ps Insignia is intended to do a different role then a 1.7 diesel Hyundai - that's where the training requirement comes from I imagine.

Anyway - I don't know - that's just what I recall reading over on the emergency services forum.
    They should all get extra driving instruction anyway for entry to the gards. The standard test in this country is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

They definitely had ST220's. I was in one!

A kindly Garda took me for a quick, pun intended, spin in one about 7 years ago. Made me promise not to tell anyone. Fairly shifted to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Sligo used have an unmarked Alfa 156 2.5 V6 and an unmarked IS200.

How old is the Alfa 156 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

They definitely had ST220's. I was in one!

A kindly Garda took me for a quick, pun intended, spin in one about 7 years ago. Made me promise not to tell anyone. Fairly shifted to be fair.

Well, now everyone knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Made me promise not to tell anyone.

Thanks for telling us:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Doesn't surprise me in a country where you now have to do training to lift a box at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Doesn't surprise me in a country where you now have to do training to lift a box at work.

Health & Safety , gone mad !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Yiikes

Daaryl wrote: »
    There's a video of a lad drifting around a roundabout in a skyline and a gaurds in a yaris trying to chase him lol

youtube.com/watch?v=VqXjsi97OWg

Yiikes wrote: »
    youtube.com/watch?v=VqXjsi97OWg

That was in a private estate and the lad got permission to be fair :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I hope they've had a new tendering process for the servicing and maintenance of the squad cars.

Same with the fuel.

they seem to have stuck with the renowned 'priciest' garage in my local town for fuel/servicing

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I hope they've had a new tendering process for the servicing and maintenance of the squad cars.

Same with the fuel.

they seem to have stuck with the renowned 'priciest' garage in my local town for fuel/servicing

The garage might have done a better deal for the gardai on the servicing.

Is it a main dealer????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

The garage might have done a better deal for the gardai on the servicing. Is it a main dealer????

More likely the owner is the brother in law of the Super ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Same with the fuel.

Isn't the fuel bought from the distributor, fuel card type thing?

The garage might have done a better deal for the gardai on the servicing.

Is it a main dealer????

Pretty sure, at least it was the case, it was all done in house in the Phoenix Park (Servicing that is)

Fuel is on a fuel card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Pretty sure, at least it was the case, it was all done in house in the Phoenix Park (Servicing that is).

Servicing of all cars in the Park hasn't been done in several years. It is done by selected garages across the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

'Selected' garages indeed

same with buying the fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Not sure about the car choice.

Would these be as quick and reliable as the Fords? 1.6 diesels..
    garda.jpg

10606417_10152972870323001_4100555890891408438_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

In before the hyundai bashing.

Given the gardai's needs, i'd say they'l do fine.

Congrats to whoever plasters the right side lower corner with an AA sticker. Might seem trivial but the entire windscreen should be clear.

Also, where are the tax discs? :P

But seriously, Gardai don't need 'fhast' cars. No training and poor driving from the vast majority means its a receipe for disaster. Keep the higher end stuff in the hands of those that can use it properly.

mitsubishi_lancer-evolution-x-police-2008_r16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hyundai i30's? Fair enough. I can't comment on the reliability stakes, but surely they are appropriate for city driving.

And I was driving from Cavan to Kells last week, and a Traffic Corp one went passed me (I think it was a Hyundai anyway) like I was stopped, so they can shift as well.

5 year warranty too, don't know if that applies to fleet cars, but still. Hyundai must be confident enough to offer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hyundai i30's? Fair enough. I can't comment on the reliability stakes, but surely they are appropriate for city driving.

And I was driving from Cavan to Kells last week, and a Traffic Corp one went passed me (I think it was a Hyundai anyway) like I was stopped, so they can shift as well.

5 year warranty too, don't know if that applies to fleet cars, but still. Hyundai must be confident enough to offer it.

Yeah but they are not going to keep up with a quick getaway car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Congrats to whoever plasters the right side lower corner with an AA sticker. Might seem trivial but the entire windscreen should be clear.

Five years unlimited mileage warranty and (5 years) membership of AA Roadside Assist comes when you buy a new Hyundai in Ireland so I'd say the distributor put those stickers on the windscreen.
    Also, where are the tax discs? :P

Not required unless the vehicle is on a public road and even then, the discs on official cars will have 'exempt' as the amount paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

OSI wrote: »
    They must be laughing at the poor suckers in the UK stuck with Subaru Imprezas, BMW 530ds, Jaguar XFs, Range Rovers and Mondeo STs

Yeah, and the astra 1.7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

That is what the helicopter is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And the Mondeo/Avensis/whatever you're having yourself is a sportscar now?

They're decent cars, hopefully gotten at a good price, and will (hopefully) be maintained.

Christ, if they were kitted out with RS4's, people would still be whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Christ, if they were kitted out with RS4's, people would still be whinging.

tax payers money... recession... gardai driving m3's...

I can see the comments now. The hyundais were a sensible purchases!

• Advertisement
Advertisement