Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Thermostat

Options
  • 29-12-2014 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All, Im trying to figure out If a nest thermostat will suit my house, from what I have read I will need two? Its a standard 3 bed 2 story semi detached house, oil burner outside with thermostat (dial type) in it (gerkos boilers) the only controls inside the house are a switch for upstairs and downstairs and a timer unit (push pin type) in the kitchen, one pump for downstairs fitted in a corner press and one up near the hot-tank, So what I was thinking is the nest thermostat will replace the push pin timer - and the heatlink will be fitted inside near the boiler to bypass the existing thermostat within the burner?? but then upstairs Im presuming I need to wire it to the pump in the hotpress and have the nest thermostat in the hall??? or do I have the above all wrong?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you take off your old one and put on the nest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Hi All, Im trying to figure out If a nest thermostat will suit my house, from what I have read I will need two? Its a standard 3 bed 2 story semi detached house, oil burner outside with thermostat (dial type) in it (gerkos boilers) the only controls inside the house are a switch for upstairs and downstairs and a timer unit (push pin type) in the kitchen, one pump for downstairs fitted in a corner press and one up near the hot-tank, So what I was thinking is the nest thermostat will replace the push pin timer - and the heatlink will be fitted inside near the boiler to bypass the existing thermostat within the burner?? but then upstairs Im presuming I need to wire it to the pump in the hotpress and have the nest thermostat in the hall??? or do I have the above all wrong?

Heat link replaces your push pin timeclock , thermostat stays on the boiler as is . You will only need 1 nest as you will need to operate your zones as always via the switches . If the zones were interlocked back to the boiler then you would need 2 nests , but it dsnt sound like they are .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bluebeard99

I got given a Nest for Christmas. I could probably install it myself but it would be less hassle if I could find a contractor who is familiar with installing these - any suggestions here?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Two nests should be able to work with your system if you use relays. If you have no existing room thermostats and no easy access to get wires in then you will probably have to plug it in and put the nest on the wall directly above a socket or get the Nest stand (€35) and have it sitting on your kitchen counter or a bookshelf.
    I got given a Nest for Christmas. I could probably install it myself but it would be less hassle if I could find a contractor who is familiar with installing these - any suggestions here?

There is a list of Nest installers on their website https://nest.com/ie/thermostat/installation/#pro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Top Corner

MESSAGE DELETED ...ADVERTISING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DB Supplies

OK looking for someone in the know...
    My current set up is
    2 channel T/C (heating and hot water) with standard room stat (fed with a 5 core cable) in the hallway.
    My question is, Will I retain independent timed and remote access control of my hot water as well as the the expected heating control ?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

OK looking for someone in the know...
    My current set up is
    2 channel T/C (heating and hot water) with standard room stat (fed with a 5 core cable) in the hallway.
    My question is, Will I retain independent timed and remote access control of my hot water as well as the the expected heating control ?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Yep. Nest looks after your heating requirements and your hot water is controlled as it is now

Hi egass13

Thanks for your input, can I ask is your answer supplied due to experience (have you had it installed or even better are you an installer) ?

Thanks

Dave.

Hi egass13

Thanks for your input, can I ask is your answer supplied due to experience (have you had it installed or even better are you an installer) ?

Thanks

Dave.

I'm an installer, I misread your question , you won't have remote access to your hot water unless you already have it. Nest has no control over your water

Perfect, so basically Nest will replace all my existing controls and still provide me with same setup but better,

Thanks again

Dave.

• Advertisement

Ahh right, I currently have climote ! do i need to retain climote ?

Ahh right, I currently have climote ! do i need to retain climote ?

Ah , yeah if you want to keep remote control of hot water then yes, you have to keep it .

Fair enough, Don’t see why nest couldn’t add a second channel ! Seems like it wouldn’t have been a big deal. Just not designed with us Irish in mind, them bloody Yanks ;-) .

Thanks for all your help.

Dave.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Control your hot water with timer and cylinder stat, which you seem to already have. Use the nest to control your heating. If you already have a room stat for your heating, then a cheaper option would be to control your heating with a wifi switch. I use the wemo.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Control your hot water with timer and cylinder stat, which you seem to already have. Use the nest to control your heating. If you already have a room stat for your heating, then a cheaper option would be to control your heating with a wifi switch. I use the wemo.

Yeah, thats an option alright but would have liked to use nest as a stand alone setup, Climote works well for me so all considering I might just stick with it, nest was really just another gimmicky Gadget for me,

Thanks for you idea though ,

Dave.

Depending on your budget , give the honeywell evohome system a look.

Egass13 wrote: »
    Depending on your budget , give the honeywell evohome system a look.

yeah Ive seen that system alright, maybe just out reach with my budget ! ;-)

yeah Ive seen that system alright, maybe just out reach with my budget ! ;-)

Best thing about it is its modular , start off with the base pack and build it as funds allow , thats what im doing in my own house

Advertisement