Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects: minimum number of hours

Options
  • 06-09-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Anyone know the minimum number of hours required for teaching different JC subjects per week?

For example, my understanding is that one class period (40 mins? one hour?) is allotted for CSPE per week and history can be taught based on a minimum of 3 periods (3 x 40 mins?). I can not for the life of me remember where I saw that written down. Do correct me if I am wrong.

What about Irish, Maths? Art?

Anyone know where exactly the amount of time to be given to all JC subjects are written down?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

This is changing with the new JC. Link here has info:

http://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Policy-Reports/A-Framework-for-Junior-Cycle-Full-Report.pdf

But basically it is 240 hours minimum for Irish, English, Maths over the three years and 200 hours minimum for the rest of the subjects. Short courses are to be 100 hours minimum over 2/3 years with a max of four short courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Try NCCA website. Iirc it should be in each subject curriculum handbook...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK there are recommendations, but I don't think anything is set in stone. For example with Hist/Geog, there are still some schools where the timetable reflects the long Geography/short History courses of the 70s.

I know from going round schools myself there are huge variations in the hours alloted to subjects. I have seen History with 3 periods a week in some schools and with 5 in others. The level playing field. We can't even standardise a length for classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

theLuggage wrote: »
    This is changing with the new JC. Link here has info:

But basically it is 240 hours minimum for Irish, English, Maths over the three years and 200 hours minimum for the rest of the subjects. Short courses are to be 100 hours minimum over 2/3 years with a max of four short courses.

Thank you.

Are these figures relating to the present JC subjects? If they are, where did you get that info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I don't think so, for the present ones it would be as the above posters say. NCCA website as Armelodie has said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

theLuggage wrote: »
    I don't think so, for the present ones it would be as the above posters say. NCCA website as Armelodie has said.

Thanks.

Yes, did check NCCA but I could not find anything on the hour allocation. I don't think it is in syllabus or guidelines either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We did a lot of work on this last year in our school as we were changing our timetable and it's not written in stone for a lot of subjects. It's not even written in ink. When various subject teachers contacted the Dept they weren't able to get a straight answer.

It's 240-270 for JC Science, that is in the science syllabus. The 240 for English/Irish/Maths sounds familiar but it's not my area. I have a feeling that there was a figure given of 200 hours for history and 190 for Geography.

One or two other subjects had recommendations for 180 hours minimum. Having said that because we couldn't find hours for most subjects and many JC subjects are in subject blocks, the hours are kind of moot. All subjects in a block are timetabled the same, so we took 180 as minimum for all other subjects.

Advertisement