Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River fishing with a 9ft 6/7 wt rod

Options
  • 28-02-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I'm a beginner to fly fishing. Bough a 9ft 6/7 wt airflo kit there last year to get me started. It has 7wt weight forward floating line. I've done some fishing on stocked lakes and enjoyed it. I'd be interested in trying out fishing on a river but I'm not sure am I wasting my time with such heavy gear? If I moved down to a 6 would there be any suitable rivers in an around Dublin for a beginner with this set up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

matt realisticly you need a lighter rod for rivers (around Dublin). Your 7wt will see you grand for a while. Two main issues, during the summer months when small dries are required - size 18 and smaller you could end up spooking too many fish. Having said that a lighter rod in the hands of a bad caster could do the same. Try to get your line to land to land as softly as possible. The second issue your enjoyment - pulling in .5lb brownies on a 7wt is not much craic you'd be better with a 3/4wt.

I reckon you should try your rod on whatever river is available to you and see how you get on. Early season is mostly nymphs/streamers so your current setup whilst heavy will be ok.

You'll naturally end up getting a lighter rod if you stick to the river angling. Where in Dublin are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Cheers for the reply whelzer. That makes sense. I'm in north county Dublin so the Boyne, Nanny aren't too far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

river fishing is a different discipline from stillwater or lough fishing so a seven weight will be too heavy for the river, especially in summer when water low and clear you will need a more delicate lighter line as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I think this has been addressed several times here, try searching the forum..

In short for a river get your self a 9ft 4/5wt for wets/streamer and some dry fly fishing..get yourself a reasonable quality floating line, fluorocarbon from 2-4lb...

If you are going dry fly fishing, make some tapered leaders from different size mono, again this has been discussed in detail.

What i would recommend is using a dry dropper setup.. a beaded nymph under a dry fly...

tipton_double_1.jpg

nznymph.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 carlspackler

I think if you switch to a 6 weight line you would be fine for rivers. Especially the Boyne. I used a 9ft 6 weight line growing up, I found it a good all rounder on many different rivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 carlspackler

I think this has been addressed several times here, try searching the forum..

In short for a river get your self a 9ft 4/5wt for wets/streamer and some dry fly fishing..get yourself a reasonable quality floating line, fluorocarbon from 2-4lb...

If you are going dry fly fishing, make some tapered leaders from different size mono, again this has been discussed in detail.

What i would recommend is using a dry dropper setup.. a beaded nymph under a dry fly...

tipton_double_1.jpg

nznymph.jpg

Thanks for that. I have read that it might be better to put the dry on a dropper rather than tying the nymph off the dry hook. Apparently some fish may be lost off the dry. I haven't done much New Zealand style fishing so I'm not in a position to disagree or not. Just thought it was interesting.

Cheers for the replies. I wouldn't mind trying out a few rivers but don't want to have to buy a whole new set up. Does anyone know if any of the clubs on the Liffey or the Boyne let you spin for trout ( If the treble is replaced with a single barbless hook). I understand spinning can be effective earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Jeez Matt, you are going backwards if you want to spin for trout on the rivers, where's the challenge in that!!!...

Sure just get out and use what you have on the rivers and see how you get on.. as a young lad I had the worst of fly gear and I caught trout on 'ol well beaten wet flies.

Personally I wouldn't be recommending spinning!

Jeez Matt, you are going backwards if you want to spin for trout on the rivers, where's the challenge in that!!!...

Sure just get out and use what you have on the rivers and see how you get on.. as a young lad I had the worst of fly gear and I caught trout on 'ol well beaten wet flies.

Personally I wouldn't be recommending spinning!
    I dunno I personally enjoy spinning. I spin for bass in the sea, why not for trout in the river? Anyhow, each to their own. Cheers for the reply though

I'm gonna head be out in the Leixlip direction over the weekend and will have the day free to do some fishing. Can anyone recomend a stretch of water on the Liffey that would be suitable for a beginner such as myself with my set up and where I could get a day permit? I have waders if necessary. I will try not to scare off all the fish permanently with my 7 wt and bad casting!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

when can i start dry fly fishing in rivers heard is not till may

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Wha?

Caught on dries 2 weeks ago on the Liffey. Was a great little rise for about 5 mins around 11:30 to LDOs. If the fish are rising you can (and should ;)) fish a dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

anthonyos wrote: »
    when can i start dry fly fishing in rivers heard is not till may

with the warm weather we're having I've been fishing dries only since the start of May

Advertisement