Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Oligarchy?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Conas wrote: »
    I even had Fox News on with someone who never watched it before, and straight away they said to me 'turn off that one sided, biased rubbish'. True story.

That's because it's a biased station and the average age of a Fox news viewer is 60-something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jank wrote: »
    Yet in the same breath complain about the power of money in swinging regulation and legislation in favour of special interests that you are not ideologically sympathetic to. Do you only complain therefore when it swings not in your favour but favour it when it does? Therein lies the problem of American politics.

I'd be a hell of a lot more happy if no one was allowed buy influence, be it union or corporation. I am not happy with the current situation, but see the influence of unions as a positive force in the current paradigm.

It makes me happy when things change in a direction I like. Terrible isn't it?

Unions good, Corporations bad,…. regulations….. b-b-b-better? Do I have that one right?

In general, but as with everything it depends.

The South is the new power house of American auto industry and has been before the GFC. This is because in union dominated states like Michigan one is mandated (yes forced by law) to be a member of a union and pay for that 'privilege' in order to take up a job in said industry. This is one of the most authoritarian pieces of labour legislation's in the western world. Why should the state force anyone to join a group and pay to be a member if they do not wish to do so if they don't want to?

Some history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_the_United_States#1990s_and_2000s

http://www.newgeography.com/content/00107-the-south-rises-again-in-automobile-manufacturing

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2008/12/big_three_meet_the_little_eight.html

http://wardsauto.com/politics/new-michigan-law-swings-vehicle-production-right-work-states

This one is an interesting read.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/04/16/the-uaw-having-stripped-detroit-bare-looks-to-the-south/

One of the main reasons why the Auto industry is booming in the south is become of the right to work laws. Now even Michigan has seen the light and has enacted similar laws in an effort to protect what is left of the auto industry there

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21568430-anti-union-legislation-home-car-industry-now-michigan

Still the unions are not happy and are trying to get their hands on the new auto industry in the south but the workers are wise to their tricks it seems. They want to keep their own industry strong.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/21/us-vw-uaw-tennessee-idUSBREA3K0GG20140421

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-15/us-organized-labor-humiliated-after-volkwsagens-tennessee-workers-vote-against-union

So, yes there is strong evidence to suggest that unions destroyed the auto industry in Detroit.

As for inner city public schools, well have a look at the history of 'No child left behind' (unions against it), school vouchers (unions against it) and the documentary called 'Waiting for Superman'.

Loads of links to opinions you agree with, I haven't the energy to refute every one of them. So I suppose you win.
    You want to increase the influence of government in the economy yet you are unhappy with special interests running they country. Seriously, step back and think about that for a minute. So, yes its youthful naivety.

I've stepped back, looked at it and it's not what I said.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Unions demanding higher wages in the Australian auto industry have forced the manufacturers to leave the country altogether due to the cost of labour.

Is this the direction you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Brian? wrote: »
    I'd be a hell of a lot more happy if no one was allowed buy influence, be it union or corporation. I am not happy with the current situation, but see the influence of unions as a positive force in the current paradigm.

So you would be 'More' happy if nobody could buy influence but accept the status quo so play the game and back a side. Hmmmm... You mentioned earlier you were aspirational for more government control. Well that you are not, you are more pragmatic than you think. It is those of a libertarian world view that are actually aspirational. However, if you are 'more' happy if nobody had influence than surely we should be of the same mindset and call out BOTH unions, special interests and corporations influence with government.

Loads of links to opinions you agree with, I haven't the energy to refute every one of them. So I suppose you win.

In fairness, its more than mere opinion (the economist article for example) and is stating the facts on the ground regarding the American auto industry and its relationship to unions and its dissadvantages.

sin_city wrote: »
    Unions demanding higher wages in the Australian auto industry have forced the manufacturers to leave the country altogether due to the cost of labour.

Is this the direction you like?

I love that it's the unions fault here and not the corporations.

It's the employees fault for being greedy and looking for better working conditions.

The corporations have no choice to up sticks and move somewhere cheaper? The need to keep the wolf from the door? The poor souls.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    So you would be 'More' happy if nobody could buy influence but accept the status quo so play the game and back a side. Hmmmm... You mentioned earlier you were aspirational for more government control. Well that you are not, you are more pragmatic than you think. It is those of a libertarian world view that are actually aspirational.

That's nonsense. We can both be aspirational you know? We aspire to very different things. I can also be pragmatic at the same time, having the brain capacity for more than one idea.

However, if you are 'more' happy if nobody had influence than surely we should be of the same mindset and call out BOTH unions, special interests and corporations influence with government.

Call out how? This is a debate forum. Unions were being attacked and I defended them as I felt was right.

I haven't been making the point that unions should be allowed buy influence. I've been defending their actions within the current paradigm.
    In fairness, its more than mere opinion (the economist article for example) and is stating the facts on the ground regarding the American auto industry and its relationship to unions and its dissadvantages.

I'll digest and respond later.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Which auto manufacturers have left Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Out of interest, how many people actually read the paper referenced in the OP?

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gilens%20homepage%20materials/Gilens%20and%20Page/Gilens%20and%20Page%202014-Testing%20Theories%203-7-14.pdf

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Scofflaw wrote: »

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gilens%20homepage%20materials/Gilens%20and%20Page/Gilens%20and%20Page%202014-Testing%20Theories%203-7-14.pdf

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Does watching their Daily show interview count?

Although I'm reading another interesting source, The Unwinding by George Packer, which has a similar central thesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well some of have tried. Does that count? But it doesn’t take a boring paper capable of being understood by about 5% (at most) of the population to realize the economic and business elites who are connected into the political scene control our government policy for the most part, and the average citizen has little, if any, influence because they choose not to, regardless of how they feel and their self-interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Which auto manufacturers have left Australia?

Ford, Toyota and GM(Holden) have announced they will be leaving Australia in 2016 and 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

An interesting article that contends that the US is indeed no longer a democracy and is in fact an Oligarchy.

A study, to appear in the Fall 2014 issue of the academic journal Perspectives on Politics, finds that the U.S. is no democracy, but instead an oligarchy, meaning profoundly corrupt, so that the answer to the study’s opening question, "Who governs? Who really rules?" in this country, is:

"Despite the seemingly strong empirical support in previous studies for theories of majoritarian democracy, our analyses suggest that majorities of the American public actually have little influence over the policies our government adopts. Americans do enjoy many features central to democratic governance, such as regular elections, freedom of speech and association, and a widespread (if still contested) franchise. But, ..." and then they go on to say, it's not true, and that, "America's claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened" by the findings in this, the first-ever comprehensive scientific study of the subject, which shows that there is instead "the nearly total failure of 'median voter' and other Majoritarian Electoral Democracy theories [of America]. When the preferences of economic elites and the stands of organized interest groups are controlled for, the preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy."

To put it short: The United States is no democracy, but actually an oligarchy.

The authors of this historically important study are Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page, and their article is titled "Testing Theories of American Politics." The authors clarify that the data available are probably under-representing the actual extent of control of the U.S. by the super-rich:
    Economic Elite Domination theories do rather well in our analysis, even though our findings probably understate the political influence of elites. Our measure of the preferences of wealthy or elite Americans – though useful, and the best we could generate for a large set of policy cases – is probably less consistent with the relevant preferences than are our measures of the views of ordinary citizens or the alignments of engaged interest groups. Yet we found substantial estimated effects even when using this imperfect measure. The real-world impact of elites upon public policy may be still greater.
    Nonetheless, this is the first-ever scientific study of the question of whether the U.S. is a democracy. "Until recently it has not been possible to test these contrasting theoretical predictions [that U.S. policymaking operates as a democracy, versus as an oligarchy, versus as some mixture of the two] against each other within a single statistical model. This paper reports on an effort to do so, using a unique data set that includes measures of the key variables for 1,779 policy issues." That’s an enormous number of policy-issues studied.

What the authors are able to find, despite the deficiencies of the data, is important: the first-ever scientific analysis of whether the U.S. is a democracy, or is instead an oligarchy, or some combination of the two. The clear finding is that the U.S. is an oligarchy, no democratic country, at all. American democracy is a sham, no matter how much it's pumped by the oligarchs who run the country (and who control the nation's "news" media). The U.S., in other words, is basically similar to Russia or most other dubious "electoral" "democratic" countries. We weren't formerly, but we clearly are now. Today, after this exhaustive analysis of the data, “the preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy.” That's it, in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

eire4 wrote: »
    To put it short: The United States is no democracy...

When was it supposed to be a democracy?

FISMA wrote: »

Go on.......

The USA has never been a true democracy. Senators from Alaska and California have the same political influence despite the huge disparity in votes it takes to win each seat.

The house is far more democratic but it's destroyed by the election cycle being so short. Members of the house are constantly campaigning.

they/them/theirs

Go on.......

The USA has never been a true democracy. Senators from Alaska and California have the same political influence despite the huge disparity in votes it takes to win each seat.

The house is far more democratic but it's destroyed by the election cycle being so short. Members of the house are constantly campaigning.

The fact that senators from tiny population states like say Wyoming or Maine have the same political say as the senators from California or Texas is a very valid point. I agree with you about the constant campaigning of the house members as well.

Both very valid points.

Can you elaborate on the point your trying to make there? I am genuinely not sure exactly where your going with that.

Can you elaborate on the point your trying to make there? I am genuinely not sure exactly where your going with that.

Surely, you understand that the United States of America is a republic and not a democracy and the differences therein.

Surely, you understand that the United States of America is a republic and not a democracy and the differences therein.

I am merely interested in the points your looking to make and was looking for you to elaborate.

The US is a democratic republic as the constitution can be changed by the government. That's my understanding anyway.

they/them/theirs

I would say Democracy is struggling to stay afloat in America...
    An interesting article that contends that the US is indeed no longer a democracy...
    I am merely interested in the points your looking to make and was looking for you to elaborate.

The premise of your statement is wrong. Generally speaking, that does not bode well for the conclusion.

Personally speaking, I would not continue to read a paper in which the author was so fundamentally wrong. When an author is that ignorant of the fundamentals, how likely are their conclusions to be valid?

Would you not agree?

If you picked up a paper that started with a statement saying that "the moon in fact is not made up a cheese, but matter called lmnop's..." Aside from wanting a good laugh, would you continue reading?

That was my opinion of the source you cited and your original quote. If you fundamentally do not understand that the US is a republic, that went out of its way to avoid democracy, I would question the ability to draw a valid conclusion.
    The US is a democratic republic

Like the People's Democratic Public of Korea or the Democratic Republic of the Congo?

You are fundamentally mistaken here Brian?. This topic is well covered in American history and the founding fathers clearly were against a democracy and in favor of a republic.

A good basic book of American history would help. If you do not have time you should read the Federalist papers (#10 and 63). They will give you good insight in to what the founding fathers were thinking at the time of the ratification of the Constitution.

Hope I did not come off to harsh lads, not my intention. The two systems may appear close, however, in reality, are very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

What odds on a Bush vs Clinton presidential race in 2016?

The premise of your statement is wrong. Generally speaking, that does not bode well for the conclusion.

Personally speaking, I would not continue to read a paper in which the author was so fundamentally wrong. When an author is that ignorant of the fundamentals, how likely are their conclusions to be valid?

Would you not agree?

If you picked up a paper that started with a statement saying that "the moon in fact is not made up a cheese, but matter called lmnop's..." Aside from wanting a good laugh, would you continue reading?

That was my opinion of the source you cited and your original quote. If you fundamentally do not understand that the US is a republic, that went out of its way to avoid democracy, I would question the ability to draw a valid conclusion.

Like the People's Democratic Public of Korea or the Democratic Republic of the Congo?

You are fundamentally mistaken here Brian?. This topic is well covered in American history and the founding fathers clearly were against a democracy and in favor of a republic.

A good basic book of American history would help. If you do not have time you should read the Federalist papers (#10 and 63). They will give you good insight in to what the founding fathers were thinking at the time of the ratification of the Constitution.

Hope I did not come off to harsh lads, not my intention. The two systems may appear close, however, in reality, are very different.

I do indeed understand that the USA is not designed to be a pure Democracy where the people decide everything directly or a complete representative democracy where those elected by the people make the decisions. The USA is in fact a constitutional federal republic. As the CIA says though the US has a strong democratic tradition. This is what I was focusing on. Those aspects of the US system of government are indeed being eroded in my opinion as the country seems to be controlled more and more by a powerful elite in otherwords becoming if not already an Oligarchy.

Do you think the founding fathers were in favour of the government becoming an Oligarchy?

I would not say you came over as harsh no, more like pedantic.

Advertisement