Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s & s opt out money...

Options
  • 04-09-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I see the money we have to pay back to the Dept for opting out of S & S started to come out of our pay checks today...Anybody know how long it will be for? Is it a permanent deduction on our payment slips???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

how much are you down after the tax man gets his share and is it worth it? I think I would consider it now if I had a choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

My salary stayed the same after all the deductions...there were other deductions for FEMPI too....Don't know how my net amount didn't change, but thank God it didn't..Might be 5 euro or so out but that's all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I see the money we have to pay back to the Dept for opting out of S & S started to come out of our pay checks today...Anybody know how long it will be for? Is it a permanent deduction on our payment slips???

It's permanent - until you retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm still appalled that the unions allowed that to slip through so easily. One of the main claims the government made over Haddington was that there was no pay cut and they could almost claim that that was true when they were just forcing us to do work without being paid for it rather than actually reducing our pay. By allowing people to take a pay cut and opt out, there was no longer any kind of case for them to claim that it wasn't a pay cut and yet the unions almost claimed that that was some sort of victory rather than them bending over when they had the chance to apply pressure themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

RealJohn wrote: »
    I'm still appalled that the unions allowed that to slip through so easily. One of the main claims the government made over Haddington was that there was no pay cut and they could almost claim that that was true when they were just forcing us to do work without being paid for it rather than actually reducing our pay. By allowing people to take a pay cut and opt out, there was no longer any kind of case for them to claim that it wasn't a pay cut and yet the unions almost claimed that that was some sort of victory rather than them bending over when they had the chance to apply pressure themselves.

The members had their say and voted for it. That's not quite what I would refer to as something that was slipped through. I honestly think most teachers don't pay enough attention to these discussions and don't make their voices heard enough.

No disrespect to the OP but s/he doesn't even know if their pay cut is permanent!! We should all be involving ourselves more with our unions and familiarising ourselves with the things that have an effect on us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

The members had their say and voted against it twice .The third time the leadership sold them out with 'secret meetings' with govt/dept , visiting staff rooms canvassing against their own CEC's recommendation and God knows what else ,but there were maybe 5-15% Yes voters in our school and people have similar stories around the country .
    People pay unions handsomely to protect them without being asked to run them themselves also .The TC and ASTI are vile organisations creating a facade to justify the salaries of their officials .I wonder how much the TC are paying Ryan Tubridy to host their 'sideshow' in the RDS next month ? Probably more than some teachers have earned this year .And what exactly do Cornmarket give the unions anyway for their decades of exclusivity ? Meanwhile the latest ASTIR publicizes an ICTU NQT 'job' that pays cents above minimum wage -on which you can earn credits towards TC ' accreditation' .No doubt this is all just 'rabble rousing ' on my part- shoulders to the wheel everybody !
    That Ill fated day in December was the end for teachers' rights in Ireland .But it should be clear they were in dire straits long beforehand .God help us if /when we end up like the UK/USA .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

By the way I'm down about 60-75 for last month or two as they're deducting twice the amount due monthly till Christmas to cover their inefficiency in not taking it from start of the year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Ho hum- Sept 2014, you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

doc_17 wrote: »
    The members had their say and voted for it. That's not quite what I would refer to as something that was slipped through. I honestly think most teachers don't pay enough attention to these discussions and don't make their voices heard enough.

No disrespect to the OP but s/he doesn't even know if their pay cut is permanent!! We should all be involving ourselves more with our unions and familiarising ourselves with the things that have an effect on us

Completely agree. The pay cut to higher earners is promised to be restored,however the pay cut [which is exactly what it is] for opting out of a draconian amount of S&S,is permanent,regardless of how low down on the pay scale a teacher may happen to be.

I cannot believe that the OP was not aware of this in advance of last December's re-ballot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

acequion wrote: »
    Completely agree. The pay cut to higher earners is promised to be restored,however the pay cut [which is exactly what it is] for opting out of a draconian amount of S&S,is permanent,regardless of how low down on the pay scale a teacher may happen to be.

I cannot believe that the OP was not aware of this in advance of last December's re-ballot!

Well look, at least they are seeking info. which is better than most who don't care at all. Sure, we should all be up to speed and we have a responsibility to the greater good. How many of us here can say for certain we know the whole ins and outs of the union negotiations for the last few decades?

It was mentioned a few times on here last year that folk would be posting enquiring about the very changes they voted for. And there will probably be a few more to come.

Its like the 18hrs paid for 22hr thread... shouldnt we all know exactly what we (and our colleagues) are entitled to.. I thought I did but im not so sure now!

It's like when that student who has messed for the last five yrs decides they want to learn now in 6th year. What do you do? berate or educate.. despite the fact others have been effected by their actions. I share the same sentiment..

Maybe its time to draw a line under it and motivate people positively to go back to their union meetings and demand real action... not lunch time flippin protests.

• Advertisement
Advertisement