Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time Person of the Year

• 14-12-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭

Time Magazine have a yearly person of the year which is the figure that has had greatest impact. The selection this year is The Protester,

summarizing mass actions against dictators in the Middle East, anti-drug cartel sentiment in Mexico, marches against unaccountable leaders in Greece, the America-spawned Occupy movement, and dissent from the Putin regime in Russia — that appeared on Time’s 2011 Person of the Year cover

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45657166/ns/today-today_celebrates_2011/t/time-magazine-reveals-its-person-year/#.Tuj9uzWfcy-

Good choice imo power to the people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

didn't a load of people on boards complain about every protest in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Eh- I think they forgot to mention the protestors in their own back yard!!!
    So in the end, it was the image of The Protester — summarizing mass actions against dictators in the Middle East, anti-drug cartel sentiment in Mexico, marches against unaccountable leaders in Greece, the America-spawned Occupy movement, and dissent from the Putin regime in Russia — that appeared on Time’s 2011 Person of the Year cover.

What about the protest against Wall street??? Maybe that would'nt boost sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Eh- I think they forgot to mention the protestors in their own back yard!!!

What about the protest against Wall street??? Maybe that would'nt boost sales!
    "the America-spawned Occupy movement", no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Makes an improvement from when they gave it to the likes of GWB and Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Makes an improvement from when they gave it to the likes of GWB and Obama.

It's not like an "award" for the best/most accomplished person of the year. Recipients have included Hitler, Stalin and Ben Bernake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

cornbb wrote: »
    It's not like an "award" for the best/most accomplished person of the year. Recipients have included Hitler, Stalin and Ben Bernake.

Bush fits right in then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

20Cent wrote: »
    Time Magazine have a yearly person of the year which is the figure that has had greatest impact. The selection this year is The Protester,

summarizing mass actions against dictators in the Middle East, anti-drug cartel sentiment in Mexico, marches against unaccountable leaders in Greece, the America-spawned Occupy movement, and dissent from the Putin regime in Russia — that appeared on Time’s 2011 Person of the Year cover

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45657166/ns/today-today_celebrates_2011/t/time-magazine-reveals-its-person-year/#.Tuj9uzWfcy-

Those people are admirable (except the Greeks) - so unlike the wasters in Dame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Good loser wrote: »
    Those people are admirable (except the Greeks) - so unlike the wasters in Dame Street.

Occuppy Wall Street were called wasters hippies crusties commies etc at first as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Occuppy Wall Street were called wasters hippies crusties commies etc at first as well.

America is a tough country. You wouldn't thrive there.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    America is a tough country. You wouldn't thrive there.

Did pretty well when I lived there thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

didn't a load of people on boards complain about every protest in Ireland

A lot of people on boards complain about everything. Doesn't mean it's representative of how the majority of people on boards actually think.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

With the exception of the Arab Spring (and even then I'm not too sure), the examples you have posted all failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Valmont wrote: »
    With the exception of the Arab Spring (and even then I'm not too sure), the examples you have posted all failed miserably.
    But everyone knows about them. That's why they're mentioned. As said before, Hitler was chosen one year, and he didn't succeed, thankfully. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The greek rioters???

Who cares? almost as tripe as their time 100 tripe.

I(me) was the time "person of the year" in 2006 FFS. explain that.

Poor quality biased magazine still trying to pretend it is relevant to the modern world with this tosh.

If current trends contine it will be out of business soon in print anyway
    I believe newsweek is failing and was recently brought , TIME will follow the same path.

bit of craic from the onion news network

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Power to the people my ass! If you think that any of these orchestrated uprisings or astroturf movements are going to liberate the common man then you are very very naive.

In a few years time, the Time magazine person of the year will be "the slave".

The first person to reply to this post using the "Tinfoil hat" line wins a flatscreen tv!!!!!

Malpaisian wrote: »
    Power to the people my ass! If you think that any of these orchestrated uprisings or astroturf movements are going to liberate the common man then you are very very naive.

The first person to reply to this post using the "Tinfoil hat" line wins a flatscreen tv!!!!!

Worked in Egypt, Libya and the Occupy Wall Street movement have changed the whole debate and issues for the upcoming US elections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What do YOU think people should do? Sit around moaning and predicting dooms day scenarios on internet forums? Propagate wild conspiracy theories that are nowhere near as bad as the actual truth?

I don't think these movements will liberate the common man, but they could well give civil liberties back to people who have been robbed of them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This thread does not have long to live if it becomes a rehash of the Occupy thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

call me old fashioned but should not person of the year be a person

I would have to give it to gaddafi(he did kill 50,000 people in a war) or the tunisan dude that burned himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.'re talking about?
    [/LIST]

Worked in Egypt, Libya and the Occupy Wall Street movement have changed the whole debate and issues for the upcoming US elections.

Naive nonsense! Lets wait and see what awaits the people of Egypt and Libya. It does not matter what chatter goes on in advance of the US elections. The fact remains that the US is fast becoming a fascist police state.

What do YOU think people should do? Sit around moaning and predicting dooms day scenarios on internet forums? Propagate wild conspiracy theories that are nowhere near as bad as the actual truth?

Yeah, you're bang on and it's good to know that you have aquainted yourself with the "actual truth". I think you are going love the "actual truth" in the years to come.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

Yeah, you're bang on and it's good to know that you have aquainted yourself with the "actual truth". I think you are going love the "actual truth" in the years to come.
    refresh my memory . what was "the Actual truth" again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Don't really think its an accolade to be all that proud of...After all Adolf Hitler once won it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

refresh my memory . what was "the Actual truth" again and what has it got to do with Lady GaGa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

The Russian protests got a lot of democratic shake-up in the system done although they were generally filled with Nazis, hipsters and Communists. Regional governor elections were brought back, I guess.

But they were led by a bunch of populist morons like Navalny. I don't think a lot of people realise how radicalised Russia is, and how important Putin is in keeping it together...oh well.

Advertisement