Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Edward Norton FIlm ???

Options
  • 12-03-2005 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

What do you think is the best ever Edward Norton film

Best Norton Film 100 votes

American History X
    0% 0 votes
    Fight Club
    39% 39 votes
    25th Hour
    45% 45 votes
    Red Dragon
    10% 10 votes
    The Italian Job
    0% 0 votes
    Primal Fear
    2% 2 votes
    The Score
    4% 4 votes
    Frida
    0% 0 votes
    The People Vs. Larry Flint
    0% 0 votes
    Keeping The Faith
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,787 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmmm... he's in some great films.

For me.. it's a dead tie between American History X and Fight Club. Cos his performance in both are brillant. Although 'Primal Fear' was an amazing performance also..

But in all honesty, he never really puts in a poor performance (OK... The Italian Job!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Oh please, its fight club, how can that not be obvious?

I am jacks disbelief.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Fight Club but he puts in a brilliant performance in "American History X" - it's just the movie isn't quite as good (if this was a poll based on performace, I'd have voted "American History X").

He normally has good moments in all his movies (fair enough, I ain't seen "Death to Smoochie") and who can forget the classic Monty rant from "The 25th Hour":

Monty Brogan: Fuck me? **** you! **** you and this whole city and everyone in it. **** the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back. **** the squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a ****ing job! **** the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores, stinking up my day. Terrorists in ****ing training. SLOW THE **** DOWN! **** the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35. **** the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English? **** the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in cafés, sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you ****ing came from! **** the black-hatted Hasidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds! **** the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother ****ers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron assholes to jail for ****ING LIFE! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that ****? Give me a ****ing break! Tyco! Worldcom! **** the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst ****in' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, 'cause they make the Puerto Ricans look good. **** the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, their St. Anthony medallions, swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos. **** the Upper East Side wives with their Hermes scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart! **** the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the **** on! **** the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust! **** the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. **** the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, **** JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in ****in' Otisville, J! **** Osama Bin Laden, Al Qaeda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist assholes everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal Irish ass!

Nice call on that truly brillant quote there, ixoy!

How about this one?

"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends" - Monty Brogan, 25th Hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭[InsertHandle]

Loved american History X but had to vote Fight club .. what a film

Makes me want to get up off my ass, throw my 'puter through the window and run naked down the street cos life's too short

but i'm gettin tired ... maybe tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I have to say that my most favouritest Ed Norton movie is:

DEATH TO SMOOCHY

Seeing as it's not on the list, I'll have to go with 25th Hour.
    Very under-rated movie... one of my favourites.

That poll is flawed... someone add Death to Smoochy!

BTW, Rounders is also missing from the poll, but that's a crap movie so it's ok ;)

BTW, Rounders is also missing from the poll, but that's a crap movie so it's ok ;)
    Have to disagree with you there.. 'Rounders' is a great film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Boltblack

Hiya sorry those films are missing from the poll, I was only allowed select 10 options and havent as of yet seen rounders or death to smoochie so did'nt know
    if they deserved to be mentioned here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

American History X without a doubt. Fight club second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

for me its gotta be Primal Fear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

It's called Death to Smoochy

not Smoochie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Without a doubt 25th Hour as its also by one of my favourite directors Spike Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

ioxy, that monologue makes no sense without the final line;

"No, f-ck you."

Any reason you left it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

although it isn't the best film out of the list, his best performance by far was in Primal Fear... each time i see it i still don't think it's gonna end the way it does.... then BAM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

The best film Edward Norton is in? Or the best performance he gives in a film?

Fight Club is easily the best film he's done, but his best performance to date has to be American History X followed by the 25th Hour.

What does everyone think of his new films coming out? He has a small part I think in Kingdom of Heaven. Then Down in the Valley where he plays a guy who thinks hes a cowboy, then Motherless Brooklyn where hes a detective with Tourette's Syndrome. But I think the best film in his new batch will be the Illusionist, he plays a magician in Vienna. Not sure what era its set in but I doubt its modern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

25th Hour for me. The monologue is really good and there's lots of excellent dialogue. Really good script and a very underrated film as Kêrmêttê said.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

the best performance from him and best movie in modern movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

MadsL wrote:
    ioxy, that monologue makes no sense without the final line;

"No, f-ck you."

Any reason you left it out?
    It makes no sense without the context either. He's staring at the mirror when he said all that. And it's something like "No, f*** you Monty Brogan (his character). You had it all and you f***ed it up" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

ixoy wrote:
    Fight Club but he puts in a brilliant performance in "American History X" - it's just the movie isn't quite as good (if this was a poll based on performace, I'd have voted "American History X").

pretty much sums it up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

25th Hour and American History X for me! Great movies. Although in fairness its really a matter of picking the best of the best, they are all great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

american history x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dr.Pain

Come on people don't let Fight CLub win this thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

American History X, not only because the acting and story was top notch, but it had one of the very few scenes in a film that actually made me squirm, and that is where I think it was the older brother got the black kid to bite the kerb *shivers*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

American History X then fight club, i think fight club will win because more people saw that movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

More people would have seen Primal Fear than Fight Club and American History X put togeather...

1) Fight Club
    2) Primal Fear
    3) American History X

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

American History X hands down over FightClub any day. Whilst its' good, FightClub is over-rated. Very over-rated in fact.

American History X is one of those films that you just pick up out of curiosity and then "wham" it hits you.

The cut scenes, whilst not horrific, are morally repugnant and - I felt - harrowing. The treatment of a destitute old black woman by Furlong's "friends" in the film left me with tears in my eyes. It was just sickening to watch, despite there being much more ugly things done in the film.

Advertisement