Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Craft Range

Options
  • 03-07-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭

Anyone used "The Craft Range" yet?

Based in Galway, so far I have made the Cider and the Blonder larger kits. The Cider was perfect, the larger kit they gave me a stout yeast by accident, so i am waiting to brew the proper one. Even with the stout yeast it doesnt taste too bad! Some Head on it though. Wonder if its related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I made the IPA. Found it very enjoyable to sample after only a few weeks in the bottle. I am tempted to get the cider kit next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Do you mean a lager set, as opposed to a larger kit, J? Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I am waiting to put on the wheat, interested to hear any views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Can't say how good the kit is on its own but I do have a pretty fantastic smelling hacked stout kit sitting in secondary at the moment :-)

Elbow wrote: »
    Can't say how good the kit is on its own but I do have a pretty fantastic smelling hacked stout kit sitting in secondary at the moment :-)

What did you hack it with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Held 250g of chocolate malt @ 70 degrees for 30 minutes in 1L of water, added that to the kit along with a tin of dark malt extract, then siphoned 2L of wort back into the saucepan and boiled for 30 minutes with 25g cluster hops added @ 30 minutes & 20g @ 10 minutes.

2 packets of s-04 yeast

OG - 1.064

Dry hopped with the tea bag that came with the kit after a week

Dry hopped with 25g cluster after 2 weeks

Its now sat in secondary with bourbon soaked oak chips, dried cranberries and jasmine flowers

My take (albeit slightly lower ABV) on brewdogs Tokyo :D

Held 250g of chocolate malt @ 70 degrees for 30 minutes in 1L of water, added that to the kit along with a tin of dark malt extract, then siphoned 2L of wort back into the saucepan and boiled for 30 minutes with 25g cluster hops added @ 30 minutes & 20g @ 10 minutes.

2 packets of s-04 yeast

OG - 1.064

Its now sat in secondary with bourbon soaked oak chips, dried cranberries and jasmine flowers

Sounds delicious! let us know how it turns out. Currently sampling some the IPA. It is very nice I have to say even for a relatively unadulterated kit. I did however add extra hops along with the ones included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

2 packets of s-04 yeast

OG - 1.064

Bloody hell! That sounds amazing. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i have the wheat on for 9 days... had a taste from fv yesterday. WOW.
    ive made maybe 3 wheat beers before none have tasted like this one its actually like a flat warm bavarian commercial brew.
    ive made ??? beers in total not sure any have been so promising from the fv.
    hopes are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

i have the wheat on for 9 days... had a taste from fv yesterday. WOW.
    ive made maybe 3 wheat beers before none have tasted like this one its actually like a flat warm bavarian commercial brew.
    ive made ??? beers in total not sure any have been so promising from the fv.
    hopes are high.

I've had mine on the go for roughly the same time. Haven't really gone near it but its clearing quickly. Tempted to bottle now to keep it yeasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

I used the craft range of light malt extract to make a London Pride clone.
    Its still in the fermenter (about a week now) but tastes lovely so far.
    I think its really great stuff. Will definitely buy more of it thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

but the heater blanket I used usually keeps things at around 30oC?

Oh please dont, room temp in any modern house is plenty enough temperature

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't use the heater blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

I just bought a Craft Stout kit, hoping to get started early next week. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping it at the right temperature? It says it needs to be kept between 20 and 24oC, and above this the quality will be reduced, but the heater blanket I used usually keeps things at around 30oC?
    Any suggestions?

you don t need the heater blanket. If you have a coolish room in the house keep it there. Below 20 would be ideal for fermenting once you give it 2 to 3 weeks in fermenter. You could put it in bath and put some cold water in changing every night or so if your house is warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't use the heater blanket.
    you don t need the heater blanket. If you have a coolish room in the house keep it there. Below 20 would be ideal for fermenting once you give it 2 to 3 weeks in fermenter. You could put it in bath and put some cold water in changing every night or so if your house is warm.

I was thinking this yeah, but it says below 20 will take much longer, and it will stop if it drops below 15..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

but it says below 20 will take much longer, and it will stop if it drops below 15..
    It's wrong. Never read kit instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's wrong. Never read kit instructions.

First rule of kit instructions, never read kit instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

they should cut the crap and say give it 20 days . its cutting huge corners saying ...this will be ready to bottle in 10 days drink after another 10. I got a scottish heavy muntons old 3kg kit. and to be fair it says... the usual ferment for 10-14 days / bottle or keg. drink after 14 more days BUT hold for 6 months to see how much it gets better. i bottled it last friday and wont taste till santa is on the radar.

I just bottled the craft wheat beer. The FG was 1.016 which seems way too high but it had been fermenting for almost a month. I very gently stirred it with a sanitised paddle a week ago in an attempt to get yeast going again but it didn't budge from 1.016.

It tastes ok - we'll see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

I just bottled the craft wheat beer. The FG was 1.016 which seems way too high but it had been fermenting for almost a month. I very gently stirred it with a sanitised paddle a week ago in an attempt to get yeast going again but it didn't budge from 1.016.

It tastes ok - we'll see how it turns out.

you might well be grand with that, don t know much about wheat beer or what fermentables you used. If you want to be cautious, you could put the bottles in a box in case of bottle bombs if you re worried it should have gone down further. Those with more knowledge might advise a bit better.

• Advertisement

If you want to be cautious, you could put the bottles in a box in case of bottle bombs

heh, that's exactly what I did.

I just followed the kit instructions - you get one pouch of malt extract, another ingredients pouch and sachet of yeast. I batch primed with 220g of sugar too!

The pitch temp was a little high - 23c which rose to 25c when fermentation kicked off then settled at 22c after a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

heh, that's exactly what I did.

I just followed the kit instructions - you get one pouch of malt extract, another ingredients pouch and sachet of yeast. I batch primed with 220g of sugar too!

The pitch temp was a little high - 23c which rose to 25c when fermentation kicked off then settled at 22c after a few days.

220g of table sugar? its gonna give about 3.5 volumes of co2
    if it had fermented out it'll be quite fizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

We dont know his final volume though do we. 220 does sound like bittle bomb territory though

adamski8 wrote: »
    We dont know his final volume though do we. 220 does sound like bittle bomb territory though

final vol on the craft range would be no more than 22L

Tigger wrote: »
    final vol on the craft range would be no more than 22L

Not necessarily i made mine to 26L ;p

Ive made kits and know others that make say 17-19L for stronger beers too and they have turned out ok

Not necessarily i made mine to 26L ;p

Ive made kits and know others that make say 17-19L for stronger beers too and they have turned out ok

he said he followed the instructions

and yeah if you were making a kit from the kit and without subbing in lme then their nicer at 17l then 23l but its still less than 22l

the bottles will be fizzy

Tigger wrote: »
    220g of table sugar? its gonna give about 3.5 volumes of co2
    if it had fermented out it'll be quite fizzy

22L with 220g of dextrose. I want it to be fizzy - i'd usually use around half that for an ale.

I've kept them well covered just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

22L with 220g of dextrose. I want it to be fizzy - i'd usually use around half that for an ale.

I've kept them well covered just in case...

I'd be surprised if you don't have gushers if not bombs at that level.

Id seriously consider opening and rebottling depending on how long they have been in bottle. Broken bottles arent fun.

• Advertisement

Id seriously consider opening and rebottling depending on how long they have been in bottle. Broken bottles arent fun.

I'm aiming for around 3.3 vol of co2. We'll see how it pans out. I'll post an update of my success/disaster.

I think I used this as a guide.

Advertisement