Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just saw something really sad....

Options
  • 25-04-2013 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I was walking through Palmerstown today in a place called Glenaulin. There's a stream running through it. There was three ducks and a chick standing beside the stream. The little chick fell in and one of the ducks jumped straigt in after it, kept poking its head underwater looking for it while the other two ducks watched, they were panicking (they were the brown ones, so they were female) one of them must have been the mammy. One of the females was making hissing sounds at me as if she wanted me to look too. I walked the length of the stream a few times, but couldn't see the little fellah :( The male duck was concentrating at the part where the chick fell in but the water was running really fast. Anyhow it was sad, particularly how upset the two females looked, you could feel their pain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Just put me off my hoisin duck wrap, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

FDS !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Jesus, OP will implode with sadness after they hear about the 175 dead after a Bangladesh building collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

So you watched a mother frantically search for her drowning child and your first response was to post it on AH?

Absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

summerskin wrote: »
    Just put me off my hoisin duck wrap, thanks.

I know what I'm getting for lunch later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ducks are marvellous creatures. More character than cats in my opinion.

Its a pity they taste so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Jesus, OP will implode with sadness after they hear about the 175 dead after a Bangladesh building collapsed.

Cute duckies vs. sweatshop workers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

syklops wrote: »
    Ducks are marvellous creatures. More character than cats in my opinion.

Its a pity they taste so good.

So do cats.

....I eh, heard....from a friend. But, eh, he only did it the once and feels entirely guilty about the whole situation.

RIP mittens....or whatever the cat was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Hey, cats are pretty tasty too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cool- a see something/post something thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Hey, cats are pretty tasty too.

but ever since the new chinese opened down the road last year, the cats have all disappeared from the neighbourhood. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wandering around streams playing with the ducks?

We really need to sort out the unemployment problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

im sure if Rolph Harris was further down stream he would of administered mouth to beak.

He loves kids & animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If the duck only had one chick it was probably the last of the litter,what you saw was a negligent mother duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why was a young chicken hanging around with three adult ducks? Unlike ducklings, chicks can't swim!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

This was either gross irresponsibility or murder.

This duckling is the madeline mccann of duck society. There'll probably be a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Baby ducks can't swim?

Edit:
    Nope, they can't. Ducks produce a special oil that helps them stay afloat. Baby ducks don't produce it until they are 6 weeks old, but the mother usually covers them in oil when she is sitting on them, thus helping them to stay afloat at the start. Sounds like the baby wasn't oiled up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aww that's really sad :(

My OH grew up on a farm and one of the little ducks was called "Puff" because she had asthma and always used to trail behind all the other ducks as she was a little bit chesty and weak. So my OH always used to keep an eye on her until one day he came upon the small lake that was on their property and Puff had just been brutally raped by an angry goose who then held her under the water until she literally breathed her last. I hate geese!

What a terrible end, makes me sad to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Merkin wrote: »

My OH grew up on a farm and one of the little ducks was called "Puff" because she had asthma and always used to trail behind all the other ducks as she was a little bit chesty and weak. So my OH always used to keep an eye on her until one day he came upon the small lake that was on their property and Puff had just been brutally raped by an angry goose who then held her under the water until she literally breathed her last. I hate geese!

Whoa! That story took an unexpected turn half way through!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

:eek: Jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

that's why geese never make it into children's stories. I mean we have the Little Red Hen & The Ugly Duckling.

The Horny Rapist Goose doesn't have the same appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

dan1895 wrote: »
    Whoa! That story took an unexpected turn half way through!

ah nature's law about survival of the fittest

weed out the weak ones so the species grows stronger

the goose did the duck's species a small favour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Puff, the asthmatic duckling lived on a farm,
    And frolicked in the autumn mist and never came to harm,
    But angry Jimmy Savile, he had his eye on Puff,
    He raped him in his panto suit and did all sorts of nasty stuff.

Puff, the asthmatic duckling lived on a farm,
    And frolicked in the autumn mist and never came to harm,
    But angry Jimmy Savile, he had his eye on Puff,
    He raped him in his panto suit and did all sorts of nasty stuff.

Brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

that's why geese never make it into children's stories. I mean we have the Little Red Hen & The Ugly Duckling.

The Horny Rapist Goose doesn't have the same appeal.

AFAIK,that one who laid the golden eggs was fairly pleasant and not at all rapey. Mother goose was quite nice too i believe, very maternal. I'm not too sure about goosey goosey gander - i hear he had some issues with drugs and gambling - but that could be just rumours i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever feeling sorry for itself. -D.H. Lawrence

• Advertisement
Advertisement