Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the going rate for confirmation money (Godchild)

• 24-04-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Hi, realise this is one that has probably been done to death on here over the years, but what is the going rate for godchild dough? The godmother says she's giving €100 but it seems a bit over the top to me.

Is €50 sufficient or am I just being a tightwad? Thinking we have given €200 as a wedding present (as a couple) before to different people so €100 seems like a lot for a kids confirmation

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Prayer book and rosary beads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

€100 if it's a Godchild, €50 for a niece/nephew and €20 for the scobie down the road who happens to be in the same class as your own kid. It was in that memo you got when you became a Godparent - didn't you read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The country hasn't climbed back down from the ridiculous heights of the Celtic Tiger I see.

Madness. And in most cases, hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Give them nothing. Instead give them a stern lecture on the importance of budgeting and an appreciation of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In before tree fiddy.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

€100 if it's a Godchild, €50 for a niece/nephew and €20 for the scobie down the road who happens to be in the same class as your own kid. It was in that memo you got when you became a Godparent - didn't you read it?

We don't have "memo" over here. Round these parts if I want to tell someone a thing and they're not within roaring range I send a message in morse code using the throttle on the chainsaw while i'm cuttin a few blocks for the fire. This saves me the trouble of removing the ould Galaxy S3 from my pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

E50 is generous and LODES

Just
    Make sure it's in a cool card too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

A card with 2 all cash scratch cards in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ShinyHappy

And communion????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

A kick in the hole.

• Advertisement

We don't have "memo" over here. Round these parts if I want to tell someone a thing and they're not within roaring range I send a message in morse code using the throttle on the chainsaw while i'm cuttin a few blocks for the fire. This saves me the trouble of removing the ould Galaxy S3 from my pocket
    Thats Stihl a memo. Husqvarna give more than €50 to his Godchild. You only get to be a Godfather by splashing the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Girlfriend had to hand over 50€ ****ing euros for one of these recently. An absolute joke imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

100 euro is a bit much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Is €50 sufficient or am I just being a tightwad?
    Tightwad? FFS no.

What can you afford? If you want to exceed €50, €70/80 is extremely generous IMO. And a wedding gift, when the bride and groom have gone to a lot of expense, is hardly comparable to a present for a kid's confirmation.

€100 is too much IMO. If a person can afford it and wants to give it to their godchild, fair enough, but I personally don't see the point. Pity there's the notion that there's a "going rate".

Got £100+ in total for my confirmation in 1991. I loathe doing the "In my day..." thing like a woman of 70, and I know it's over two decades on, but I still can't help finding it absolutely staggering that it's deemed not particularly excessive for one gift to be €100 now. :eek:

People have their pride, it isn't all about pressure, but a figure somewhere in the middle is plenty.

kraggy wrote: »
    The country hasn't climbed back down from the ridiculous heights of the Celtic Tiger I see.

Madness. And in most cases, hypocrisy.
    €100 excessive? Go on ya auld softie, you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

SamHall wrote: »
    In before tree fiddy.

Aww I was going to say "tree fiddy" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Daughters making her confirmation next week. I'll batter the godparents if they hand her €100.
    €20-€50 is loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Girlfriend had to hand over 50€ ****ing euros for one of these recently. An absolute joke imo.

why had to?
    If they were genuinely religious, I might consider it
    but if they weren't
    brush up on religion, ask a few questions, if they cant answer
    nothing

The expectation of money at communion and confirmation should be discouraged, same as spending money on getting clothes for it, then it takes all the bother of that and the expense out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I'm really bitter that I only got 8 punts back in 1984 when my classmates boasted of getting over a ton. I lied and said I got 50. My nephew got 20 euro from me last week. I'm on the dole and would love it if someone would give me crisp blue 20 note.

Can't believe ppl think there is a 'going rate' for these sorts of things. Makes everything feel so 'clinical' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Hi, realise this is one that has probably been done to death on here over the years, but what is the going rate for godchild dough? The godmother says she's giving €100 but it seems a bit over the top to me.

Is €50 sufficient or am I just being a tightwad? Thinking we have given €200 as a wedding present (as a couple) before to different people so €100 seems like a lot for a kids confirmation

Thanks

Give a copy of The God Delusion and tell them to stop bothering you with this bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

A doll, a drum, a kick up the bum and a chase around the table.
    That's plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

20-50 euro is more than enough!

It depends on whether or not the kids a little fcuk

Thats Stihl a memo. Husqvarna give more than €50 to his Godchild. You only get to be a Godfather by splashing the cash.

Surely sorting out a few lads who caused hassle to your godchild will buy you a lot more godfather cred than a few bits of paper. If I owned a chainsaw factory I'd be giving more than €50 as well. Or maybe just give them a chainsaw, learn them young, a nice light one to start them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Totally ridiculous concept, major religious sacrament and people give money for it just because it's the done thing.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Totally ridiculous concept, major religious sacrament and people give money for it just because it's the done thing.

Catholicism. Serious business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Give what you can afford, however, if you can give the 50 don't go over it. That is more than enough, however, posts like yours show the type of pressure than can be put of people around these events.

My own view is not to hold out on the child, but you should not give more than you can afford and if that is a fiver, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

€100

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I gave my Godson a watch for his confirmation. Less than €30! He was thrilled with it. His first "proper" watch - just in time for secondary school. I didn't include any cash!

I gave my Godson a watch for his confirmation. Less than €30! He was thrilled with it. His first "proper" watch - just in time for secondary school. I didn't include any cash!
    "Yeah, thanks Unk BigBagofchips, I'm thrilled, so I am"

"Did you see the shyte that Bigbagofchips gave our little Johnnie? The miserable b0llix"

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

He has no idea how much it cost - and his mother was with me and picked it out!!
    I got off light there!

Had I been giving cash, I would have given €50!!

(he got plenty of cash - he only got 1 watch!!)

He has no idea how much it cost - and his mother was with me and picked it out!!
    I got off light there!

Had I been giving cash, I would have given €50!!

(he got plenty of cash - he only got 1 watch!!)
    I'm only skitting, I'd be mean enough as well, sorry, careful.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Im sponsor for my niece in a couple of weeks im going to give her 50 euros id say that should be enough for a sponsor to give like

"Yeah, thanks Unk BigBagofchips, I'm thrilled, so I am"

"Did you see the shyte that Bigbagofchips gave our little Johnnie? The miserable b0llix"

The bolded bit

Said by the parents and not the child, interestingly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Give them a copy of the God Delusion

My youngest did his Confo a few weeks ago. The Godparents gave him €300, Aunts/Unks were allowed away with €100/€200. Anyone bearing less than €50 could feck right the feck off. He ended up with €3k. Proper order. I don't scab their kids, don't come here scabbing mine. It's a question of respect. I don't just expect it, I demand it. It's a Loreal thing.

• Advertisement

My youngest did his Confo a few weeks ago. The Godparents gave him €300, Aunts/Unks were allowed away with €100/€200. Anyone bearing less than €50 could feck right the feck off. He ended up with €3k. Proper order. I don't scab their kids, don't come here scabbing mine. It's a question of respect. I don't just expect it, I demand it. It's a Loreal thing.

Did you have a charge in to the bouncing castle?

Loreal.. pleb.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Did you have a charge in to the bouncing castle?
    No, I got one for free. He was honoured to be able to give me one for the day. Actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Ok I feel validated and am going to give €50 in a really nice card

No, I got one for free. He was honoured to be able to give me one for the day. Actually.

Should have had an entry fee in for each of the guests, you missed a trick there...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

bonkers. What's a kid going to do with that sort of money anyway.

Borrow it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Start of loan sharkin at 2 points above the vig.

Sheesh

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Madam_X wrote: »
    Tightwad? FFS no.

What can you afford? If you want to exceed 50, 70/80 is extremely generous IMO. And a wedding gift, when the bride and groom have gone to a lot of expense, is hardly comparable to a present for a kid's confirmation.

100 is too much IMO. If a person can afford it and wants to give it to their godchild, fair enough, but I personally don't see the point. Pity there's the notion that there's a "going rate".

Got £100+ in total for my confirmation in 1991. I loathe doing the "In my day..." thing like a woman of 70, and I know it's over two decades on, but I still can't help finding it absolutely staggering that it's deemed not particularly excessive for one gift to be 100 now. :eek:

People have their pride, it isn't all about pressure, but a figure somewhere in the middle is plenty.

In my day a funt up the hole was the going rate. For the trouble you put your parents through making them go away from the farm and having to drag you to church and buy you clothes that cost a week's food but they bought it anyway for the sake of the family's reputation

Kichote wrote: »
    In my day a funt up the hole was the going rate. For the trouble you put your parents through making them go away from the farm and having to drag you to church and buy you clothes that cost a week's food but they bought it anyway for the sake of the family's reputation
    Ye were posh. My parents couldn't even afford to give us a kick in the hole.

Talk to siblings and parents and buy the kid a family pass for the zoo together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You should offer them a choice. 100 euros or the contents of a 'mystery box'.

Valuable life lessons will be learned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Akrasia wrote: »
    You should offer them a choice. 100 euros or the contents of a 'mystery box'.

Valuable life lessons will be learned

... by the OP when the kid takes the €100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Boombastic wrote: »
    Prayer book and rosary beads

Couldn't agree more. What the hell has money got to do with. I'd love to hear the bull**** from the parents though. "The scabby bastard!"- it would be a great litmus test on how important religion actually is to them.
    I don't who I resent more; cultural Catholics or the real ones.

Liamario wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. What the hell has money got to do with. I'd love to hear the bull**** from the parents though. "The scabby bastard!"- it would be a great litmus test on how important religion actually is to them.
    I don't who I resent more; cultural Catholics or the real ones.
    O.M.G, people will just keep dragging religion into absolutely everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement