Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of gaming right here!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope it isn't. Walk around your room looking like a complete bellend vs. relaxing on the couch or in front of a PC. Also most people that stuff like, I don't know, furniture in their rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope it isn't. Walk around your room looking like a complete bellend vs. relaxing on the couch or in front of a PC. Also most people that stuff like, I don't know, furniture in their rooms.

Indeed. A merging with this and a controller, with head tracking and other possible optional physical movements would be pretty fantastic. And for the very energetic, couple this with the Battlefield 3 simulator that the Gadget Show made and it'd be quite amazing.

All things considered though, you can't deny that this is pretty incredible tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's impressive, very much so. Mind you, how are they going to convert life-motion to screen-motion? As judging by the video, the only way you progress in-game is to actually cover the distance in person, which is going to be impractical for most consumers, as not everyone owns an island to walk around.

The only immediate compromise I can see is something similar to Kinnect, with interpretive-movement, such as walking on-spot and whatnot, and we already have one of those, and in that case, all this really adds is more motion, a visor and a few unflattering mocap straps. It'd be wasted on me anywho, I'd just use my avatar to sit down and play something with an actual controller.

I can see it having more of an immediate future as a theme-park/amusements thing than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It wont work without a multi-directional threadmill - which would very easy break bones and cause all sorts of nastiness.

One step closer to startrek's holodeck though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

I wont work without a multi-directional threadmill - which would very easy break bones and cause all sorts of nastiness.

One step closer to startrek's holodeck though :)

Just imagine the lawsuits from when you are playing a game such as Super Street Fighter.

A loved one has just walked into the room. You are standing still with your VR Display headset on and using the above tech, A fight is about to start.
    You can not hear or see anything other than the game. The fight starts and you begin kicking just as said loved person enters range.

This would be so much worse than just sending a wii remote through the window:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think with the Wii, Kinect, this yoke, the oculus rift, we're setting out on to a diversification of how games are played rather than one tearing off into the distance.

Playing Starcraft 4 in 15 years time will still be enjoyable with the mouse and keyboard, just the same as I still enjoy playing pool.

I think it's also part of the normalisation of computer games. They're not just for nerds any more, so it makes sense that we have different ways of engaging in them for different kinds of people.

And obviously within that diversification we'll end up with a few spurious gimmicks that won't last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'd get about 3 weeks of enjoyment out of this by making the character on screen **** non stop. Then it'd go in the wheelie bin next to the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

brings us that bit closer to VR which is always a good thing :D what we need is a VR headset with some sort of mind controller

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'd get about 3 weeks of enjoyment out of this by making the character on screen **** non stop. Then it'd go in the wheelie bin next to the Wii.

I'm impressed that after 3 weeks of non-stop **** you can still raise your arms high enough to throw something in a wheelie bin. You must be the Rocky II of masturbation - kudos, sir!

Can't see this getting too popular in a home environment but for teaching - be it for learning shadow puppets, guitar or heart surgery - it'd be magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So this is what it looked like for The Plague in the film Hackers? Hack The Planet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its cool, but it is not a future of gaming.

Most likely such stuff might be used in CGI movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've seen better CGI in decade old films tbh, i want my holodeck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I've seen better CGI in decade old films tbh, i want my holodeck!

its not what i mean. i mean they will be able to use proper actors for movement and acting with this technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The head tracking & vr feel to it I love. Walking around in real time/real space though...no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Headset and control pad....that is the limit, then you could still sit and play.

I have seen powered multidirectional treadmills but not the type of thing you'd sprint on.

The idea needs to grew a bit and become mainstream, with everyman pricing. Oculus Rift, but just with the head tracking it lacks would be perfect.

Button bashing gets tiring playing SSFII, Your arms would get so mullered if you actually had to punch the punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Why are controls that involve MORE movement deemed the future? If anything I see controls that require less movement far more interesting and practical.

Who would want to genuinely play a game where your real life actions are 1:1 with whats happening on screen? Aside from most of us not being able to actually do that for any real length of time its simply impractical. Its akin to saying "here is the future of books, a new style of book that you must always read out loud and in character to be able to make use of it" ... while it may involve its silly and no one will do it for serious recreation. Its the mechanical sense of involvement.

Games are a realm of the mind, of imagination and fantasy. Realizing and controlling things and situations that could only otherwise exist in your head....and thats where it needs to move. The first logical step would be control of a game using your mind. The speed, accuracy , flexibility and work load that would afford would open huge possibilities. How many gaming ideas went to the bin as it would have simply been too complex to try and perform with a controller. If we are to control a world with no limits we need an interface with none also.... the mind.

Work in the field is infantile at best right now but promising.

Link: http://emotiv.com/

Advertisement