Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the going rate for confirmation money (Godchild)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My cousin did hers last week and the amount of envelopes handed over was unreal. I just got her a €20 voucher. I didn't want to get anything but felt I had to. I just don't understand why you're expected to give money . For what reason?

In my church you might a bible from your godparents as a gift but no money, and no big parties afterwards. I chose not to make mine as it's done when you 're a bit older and by then I had no interest. I thought about getting my cousin a bible just to see what would happen but decided against it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I got £10 and a Cross pen for mine from my sponsor in 1988. I thought Cross pens were only ever handed out as consolation prizes in Where in The World/Murphy's Micro Quizzm :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I got €0 from my godmother. Not even a card

Living up to your username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

nothing >.>. I hated giving money then, and I hate it now. talk about the easiest money kids ever make :/. and they supposed to be all believing and religious.

I laugh at parents, who swear their kid isn't doing it just for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Godchild=£100.
    Relatives=£ 50.
    Workmates Kids=Card & £20.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

ruthloss wrote: »
    Godchild=£100.
    Relatives=£ 50.

Out of interest what do you give friends as a wedding present- €350??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

ruthloss wrote: »
    Godchild=£100.
    Relatives=£ 50.

why would anyone come looking for money off their workmates for a childs communion or confirmation?
    Do parents actively look for money for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

How much is acceptable for a nephew these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I don’t think you’re allowed buy children anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Honestly €50 to €100 I'd say.

Maybe if you were very close or felt like he dissevered something extra you could do that.

Also if you couldn't afford €50.

€20 would be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

How many godchildren do most of you have to make this such a big deal? I always assumed most people will have one godchild, often a niece/nephew, so there are only a few events (Communion, 18th Birthday & maybe Graduation) throughout their life where some exceptional gifting comes into the equation.

Anyway, it will probably depend on how close you are to your godchild and their parents and on your financial resources. If you are close with your godchild and can afford it I would think 100 would be a nice amount. If you somehow are not close to the Godchild and don't see her/him regularly then I would say 50.

I personally never gave money, but instead booked activities for the two of us to enjoy. Got us concert tickets for his confirmation, had a fun weekend away for his communion and went for a trip abroad for his 18th. It was never about the money, but about the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Give them nothing, and that'll teach them an invaluable life lesson: you don't always get what you expect!

Advertisement