Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theme Parks

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cedar point in ohio year after year is voted best theme park on coasterfan sites, haven't been but this looks amazing. 0 to 120mph in seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

People showing off in here, Disneyland Florida, Six Flags, Paris and even Blackpool, and all these places. When I was a kid, I got a 10p ride in Noddys car when we went to the shopping centre as a treat....:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The furious baco in portaventura and the tower of terror 2 in dreamworld are both worth the admission fees alone. Look them up on youtube. The tower of terror 2 is a lot better than it looks, the furious baco speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

People showing off in here, Disneyland Florida, Six Flags, Paris and even Blackpool, and all these places. When I was a kid, I got a 10p ride in Noddys car when we went to the shopping centre as a treat....:rolleyes:;)

And we walked to school through the fields in our bare feet. We'd drink milk out of empty sauce bottles and the bacon always tasted better then. The main difference though was that people were friendlier. They'd always say hello and stop for a chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sergeant wrote: »
    And we walked to school through the fields in our bare feet. We'd drink milk out of empty sauce bottles and the bacon always tasted better then. The main difference though was that people were friendlier. They'd always say hello and stop for a chat.

and the tap water was grand, not a bother on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

As a member of the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain and the European Coaster Club I spend quite a lot of time in Theme Parks. There are hundreds of parks worldwide worth visiting, and I'm slowly trying to visit each one!

In the UK, Alton Towers is probably the park that will most please the masses. It has plenty of good rides, one of the best steel roller-coasters anywhere in the world in Nemesis, and some rides that really pushed the boundaries of coaster design when they were built like Oblivion and Air. For kids and younger guests there is plenty to see and do also. The park itself is built on the grounds of an old stately mansion so it looks better than 99% of theme parks in the world. Also they've just put in the last piece of their brand new coaster, The Smiler, which should open in May sometime. It will hold the record for the most inversions on a coaster so if you haven't been to Alton Towers in a while, or ever, then it might be worth a visit this year.

Thorpe Park is another park under the Merlin umbrella (who own Alton Towers, Chessington, Legoland, The London Eye and Dungeons among others) but it is more aimed at the teenage market. You'll find plenty of extreme rides but the park itself isn't the nicest place to visit at times.

Most coaster enthusiasts prefer wooden coasters to their steel counterparts and I'm no different, so both Oakwood and Blackpool Pleasure Beach are worth a visit. The main selling point for Oakwood is Megafobia, one of the best wooden coasters in Europe. Ride it on a wet day (which can be quite common in South Wales!) and it is an amazing ride. They also have Speed which is decent, a few other nice rides, and a brand new area of the park is opening this year which will improve it immensely. Blackpool Pleasure Beach holds the record for the most wooden roller-coasters in a single park, having five in total. Most of those rides are classics, and while they've seen better days they're still great fun. The Wild Mouse is definitely my favourite. Strangely, given its location and climate, Blackpool also has one of the best water rides in the world in Valhalla. This ride will take you through extreme cold and heat with fire effects and animatronics throughout. It features three splashdown drops, one of which is backwards, and comes with the warning "You will get wet. You may get soaked!" which is completely true! The park is also home to dozens of unique rides so well worth a visit.

For younger kids Drayton Manor and Chessington are popular, with Thomas Land being in the former and the latter having a zoo, a safari ride, and some gentler rides. Legoland is aimed at very young kids but still a nice place to visit.

Florida is a popular destination for Irish people, it seems many of the posters on this thread have been there. It isn't the greatest place in the world for coasters however. If you're interested in coasters then Busch Gardens, Universal Islands of Adventure and Seaworld are the best to go for. If you're going for someplace that's well themed and has great attractions, rather than coasters, then Universal Studios and Disneyworld are what you're looking for. However Disneyworld is so big now that you'd almost need two weeks to see it all. As it tries to appeal to the whole family you will find a lot of attractions that won't be to your taste. Still, it still has that Disney Magic, and the Tower of Terror is worth it alone for me.

Elsewhere in the US there are hundreds of parks to choose from, and many of them have wooden coasters, which you don't find so much in Europe. If coasters are what you're after then both Cedar Point and Six Flags Magic Mountain is what you're looking for, with around 18 coasters each in both I believe. Dollywood and Knoebells are great parks to experience well run and homely parks. I try to avoid Six Flags parks in the main as their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, however they do have some good, if repetitive, coasters.

In Europe the easiest parks to get to are probably Gardaland in Italy and Port Aventura in Salou, Spain. Both are excellent parks and well worth visiting. If you can at all get to Europa Park in Germany. It's a park hardly anyone in Ireland has heard of, but it is only second to Disney in terms of size worldwide, and it has a huge array of rides, themed lands, excellent food and best of all it's run with German efficiency!

There are loads of other parks spread out throughout Europe too, especially in Scandinavia, and most are worth a visit if you happen to be nearby.

If anyone is interested in theme parks and would like to visit a few more then it might be worth joining either the RCCGB or the ECC . Membership of either club gets you discounts on most of the UK theme parks and then either the US or European parks depending on which club you join. They also run trips to the major UK parks each year, as well as a USA Trip with the RCCGB and European trips with the ECC. On the club trips the big perks are ERS, Exclusive Ride Sessions where the club rents out a coaster or two for an hour where only club members, and not the general public, can ride. For example the RCCGB do a two day trip in November taking in both Alton Towers and Drayton Manor. On that we get an hour each on four separate rides, as well as early entry to the parks. So you can ride most of the major rides before lunchtime, something you'd never get to do as a normal visitor.

Anyway I'll shut up now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

In Europe the easiest parks to get to are probably Gardaland in Italy and Port Aventura in Salou, Spain. Both are excellent parks and well worth visiting. If you can at all get to Europa Park in Germany. It's a park hardly anyone in Ireland has heard of, but it is only second to Disney in terms of size worldwide, and it has a huge array of rides, themed lands, excellent food and best of all it's run with German efficiency!

I have nowhere near your experience, but have been to both Disneyland Paris and Europa Park with my family. We enjoyed Europa Park just as much as Disney, and the food was far superior. I would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

the only two i-ve been to are walibi world and the efteling both in the Netherlands which I though t were pretty decent,well compared to Ireland anyways......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For younger kids Drayton Manor and Chessington are popular, with Thomas Land being in the former and the latter having a zoo, a safari ride, and some gentler rides. Legoland is aimed at very young kids but still a nice place to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mahoosive fan of Theme Parks, but never have the money to go anywhere. Splashed on a 10 night holiday in Orlando in Sept '09 after the schools went back. Got the flexi-ticket, so got SeaWorld, Universal Studios & Island of Adventure, Aquatica, Busch Gardens and Wet n Wild.

SeaWorld was amazing, literally spent 10 to 11.30pm in there on the second day. Legs were in bits, and scalded alive, but brilliant day. Still not enough time in the day to do everything, and the then missus was a mad animal fan, so done all the animal shows. Manta and Kracken were brilliant, with Manta just tipping it for being better, just because you felt like Superman!

Univeral Studios was equally brilliant, Duelling Dragons (now the Triwizard Tournament Dragon Challenge) was pretty cool, and was savage to see the other coaster coming towards you. Hulk was alright, the fast start was good but the rest was only ok. The Rip-Ride-Rockit was cool, picking your own song to play as it zoomed in and out of buildings was nice. Special mention to the Simpsons ride, was very, very well done for a stationary "coaster".

Island of Adventure was more water based, but still had some savage rides in it. Loved Popeyes one, got soaked! Initially wondering why there was a section in the middle of the giant ring for you to put your valuables in to stop them getting wet! Also another mention for the Spiderman ride, while old it was still pretty good (overshadowed by the Simpsons ride, as it's really the same thing).

Aquatica was excellent, made me fall in love with Water Parks, and each tube/slide was brilliant in its own right, one of them even has an underwater section where, with the right timing, you see dolphins outside!

Wet n Wild seemed good, but she was on the blob so didn't get to experience it properly.

And my favourite, Busch Gardens. Half Theme Park, half Zoo. Some great coasters in it, SheiKra has 2 savage drops (one was 110 degrees, but now it's only 90?). Gwazi is an old school wooden coaster, and was the scariest of the lot, if only because you felt like ti was going to fall apart and was crazy loud! Kumba was great fun, and you get 3 seconds of weightlessness in it which was savage. Any my favourite of the whole holiday: Montu - savage fast, legs dangling, loads of loops, just a savage coaster. Went on it thrice!

If i ever win the lotto, i'm going on a worldwide Theme/Water Park tour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Yawns wrote: »
    Anyone know if they charge for the rides inside Legoland or is it just the gate price & once in everything is free to get on. Was thinking about bringing the kid over for a day in a few months.

Try this for an answer...

https://www.google.ie/

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

krudler wrote: »
    I much prefer rollercoasters to stuff like waltzers, can't stand Funderland type rides, being spun around on the spot isn't my idea of fun. anyone in Disneyland ever go on the Finding Nemo rollercoaster? went on it thinking of this will be grand, its for kids like, my arse it is, you go sideways down a huge incline in a car thats made like a giant turtle shell that spins on it own axis, the kid in the car we were in was in hysterics afterwards :pac:

I went on this last month. We talked our 7 yr old daughter into coming on it with us, ok so we lied blatantly to her. She still hasn't really got the colour back in her face and still isn't really talking to us. So worth it for the look on her face though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Islands of Adventure for Spiderman and Harry Potter. The wet rides are quite good too but it is more fun squirting people on the bridge when they think its all over.:p

Aquatica for the lazy river. I'd spend all f**kin day in it!

My favourite ride ever is Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios. Shame there is feck all else in that park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Thorpe Park was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Roll on September as im going to Ferrariworld Abu Dhabi !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

New ride that's nearly finished being built at Alton Towers this year.

562384_10151651482538185_1533440166_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

rossie1977 wrote: »
    cedar point in ohio year after year is voted best theme park on coasterfan sites, haven't been but this looks amazing. 0 to 120mph in seconds

I was there, the coasters are amazing but that's about it. Just went for an afternoon and that was plenty of time to get everything done.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Only ever been to Canobie Lake in Boston... it's safe to say Funderland or the amusements in Courtown just don't make the cut

http://www.canobie.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not big into theme parks, but Six Flags in Illinois was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Been to DisneyWorld Orlando as a kid and as an adult and Space Mountain will always always be my favourite ride! Wow.

Went to Eftling in the Netherlands (based on the Brothers Grimm which has a sinister new feel to it now since have seen the tv show Grimm!) and it was great especially since my kids were little and really enjoyed it.

Also went to Parc Asterix not far from Paris. Based on Asterix de Gaulle it is a good wee theme park too for anyone who is holidaying in France and wants something different to Disney.

Best Theme Park ever though was Las Vegas! Loved the rides on top of Stratosphere and also the rollercoaster in New York New York although thought it was a bit tame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Was in Universal Orlando in October, stayed in the Hard Rock Hotel. It was a complete blast.

The Simpson's ride is great as is the Harry Potter one. The Harry Potter village is not that great. Looks amazing but the queues for some of the "shops" were really long and not worth the wait unless you were really into Harry Potter and a patient child. Spiderman was cool.

The best part was they have a series of fright nights over Halloween. Special fright houses were set up and there are tons of actors running around dressed as zombies etc... There was cheap beer as well.

SeaWorld had a cool Manta Ray ride and was pretty good but it was so hot when we were there that it made it hard to relax.

Will go back again and stay in the Hard Rock, probably one of the best hotels I stayed in by having the right combination of being relaxed but no scumbags about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I love theme parks been too

Alton Towers - was great loved the ride called Air.
    Islands of Adventure (orlando) - Loved the Hulk, dueling dragons
    Disneyland (orlando) - Wasnt a favorite but loved the Aerosmith rollercoaster.
    Disneyland (los Angeles) - Actually liked this better than Florida, Loved the Indiana Jones ride.
    Universal Studios (Los Angeles) - Love the Jurassic Park ride and back to the future.
    Wet n Wild - water park in Orlando, loved the bomb bay slide. :)

Really want to go to six flags magic mounatin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was actually in Thorpe Park a few weeks ago, was pretty good. Best part was that there weren't any queues, so we were on whatever we wanted to do within minutes for the most part. Better still, having paid via a 2for1 voucher, because two of the rides were closed, we were given complimentary tickets to come back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Been to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Six Flags in New Jersey and Disney Sea in Tokyo.

Six flags is probably the best, Kingda Ka is crazy (for the 5 or 6 seconds it lasts)! Disney sea was great although the rides were in Japanese and it had easily the longest queues, about 2 hours in the queue for the first ride I went on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Univeral Studios was equally brilliant, Duelling Dragons (now the Triwizard Tournament Dragon Challenge) was pretty cool, and was savage to see the other coaster coming towards you. Hulk was alright, the fast start was good but the rest was only ok. The Rip-Ride-Rockit was cool, picking your own song to play as it zoomed in and out of buildings was nice. Special mention to the Simpsons ride, was very, very well done for a stationary "coaster".

Island of Adventure was more water based, but still had some savage rides in it. Loved Popeyes one, got soaked! Initially wondering why there was a section in the middle of the giant ring for you to put your valuables in to stop them getting wet! Also another mention for the Spiderman ride, while old it was still pretty good (overshadowed by the Simpsons ride, as it's really the same thing).

The Simpsons ride is brilliant, it was only being built when I was in Orlando last but I got to go on it in the LA Universal a few years later, its funnier than the tv show has been the past few years as well.

They've closed down Jaws since as well, its a very dated ride so I can see why but it was fun all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

rossie1977 wrote: »

Yeah, It would be an experience to visit that place. Pity, it's out of the way a bit in the middle of flyover country.
    Busch gardens is the best one I have been to, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

been to Fry's fun fair (the rides are terrifying because your afraid bolt will come loose), tramore amusement park (basically just funderlands dumping ground), Oakwood (when I was 3 year old would love to back though), and some place down in portugal I forget what's it called but it has dolphins, seals, a small roller coaster that goes around in circles,pirate ship, and ferris wheel. Oh I was also in this place down in the south coast of france its like funderland/tramore amusement park except on steroids. It has that one ride like in Oakwood where your dropped 1000 feet in the air and you sway back and forth. Also it has a big ball that shoots you up in the air.
    A number of years ago there was this theme park in Ireland called "stab city" great craic people died from the excitement in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So excited. Just booked to go back to Orlando in August. Haven't been sine 2009 which was the year BEFORE the first section of the Harry Potter Experience opened. As a MAJOR Harry Potter fan that was a little disappointing, especially as I had know idea when or if I'd get a chance to visit it. But myself and my best mate both turn 30 this summer so we were like f it we are going. The excitement :) Also gonna go on down to Busch Gardens, cos we didn't visit that the last time we were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I really enjoyed Busch Gardens in Tampa. Not a huge fan of Disney (been to 2 of them)...too commercial or something! Great for kids though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

As mentioned above the Simpsons ride in Universal was great! Was on it in LA about 6/7 years ago

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    So excited. Just booked to go back to Orlando in August. Haven't been sine 2009 which was the year BEFORE the first section of the Harry Potter Experience opened. As a MAJOR Harry Potter fan that was a little disappointing, especially as I had know idea when or if I'd get a chance to visit it. But myself and my best mate both turn 30 this summer so we were like f it we are going. The excitement :) Also gonna go on down to Busch Gardens, cos we didn't visit that the last time we were there.

The main Harry Potter Ride in the castle is nothing short of fantastic! The queues in August will be bananas. Use the single rider queue to get it in a few times.

There is also lots of new stuff on International Drive if you're staying there plus they've finally got an Applebees!!! :D

There is also lots of new stuff on International Drive if you're staying there plus they've finally got an Applebees!!! 

I am staying on i-drive. delighted to hear they finally have an Applebees

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Disney World in Florida and Sea World. Both good but Disney had the edge. This was way, way back in 1990. Universal hadn't opened back then.

Would love to check out Alton Towers. Tayto Park is the closest thing Ireland has to a theme park but it could do with a couple of roller coasters.

Universal Islands of Adventure is just fantastic.

Spider-Man is my favourite ride, transformers close behind (that might be in the studios park). Harry Potter world is class.

No rollercoaster is ever *quite* fast or scary enough for me, but there's one in Busch Gardens which almost winded me, that theme park would come a very close second to universal.

I bloody well love rollercoasters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm trying to squeeze a couple of days in Orlando into our honeymoon plan for early May. I have a need to visit universal again. I thought Disney land was rubbish as a 16 yr old so in no hurry to go back at double that age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Alton Towers is superb.

Disney Paris is good but because it's disney it is packed with 3 yearolds to trip over.

I found it a little weird as the French are fiercely proud of being French...... all that forced americana seemed to rile some of them......

what we REALLY enjoyed was Parc Asterix which is French, run by the French and full of French folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Been to Alton Towers quite a bit. Nemesis is still the king, Oblivion is great, Rita is okish, Air is fine, you'd miss the Black Hole, and they ruined the haunted house by making it a shooting game (still love the walk through the house at the beginning though).

I loved AT but I haven't been since I was 18 so....... Corkscrew was still there last time I went :/ I am overdue a trip.

Last time I went to Disney Spoace Mountain was closed :mad: I also got a MASSIVE (and I mean MASSIVE) migraine halfway round MK so had to cut it short and missed a whole section.

I spent most of my time in SeaWorld and in Universal DRENCHED. Between Journey to Atlantis in SeaWorld and Jurrasic Park, Jaws (RIP), Dudley DooRight's Ripsaw Falls and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barge!!!!!!! I remember getting off Journey to Atlantis the first time and I was walking like a cross between someone who'd crapped themselves and a cowboy who'd been on his horse too long I was that soaked. Fella came up behind me laughing (he was only half as wet as me - front row sucker here) and said you need a hairdryer!!!!

I LOVED IT THOUGH. Seriously excited right now.

I loved AT but I haven't been since I was 18 so....... Corkscrew was still there last time I went :/ I am overdue a trip.

Last time I went to Disney Spoace Mountain was closed :mad: I also got a MASSIVE (and I mean MASSIVE) migraine halfway round MK so had to cut it short and missed a whole section.

I spent most of my time in SeaWorld and in Universal DRENCHED. Between Journey to Atlantis in SeaWorld and Jurrasic Park, Jaws (RIP), Dudley DooRight's Ripsaw Falls and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barge!!!!!!! I remember getting off Journey to Atlantis the first time and I was walking like a cross between someone who'd crapped themselves and a cowboy who'd been on his horse too long I was that soaked. Fella came up behind me laughing (he was only half as wet as me - front row sucker here) and said you need a hairdryer!!!!

I LOVED IT THOUGH. Seriously excited right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What do posters think of Tayto Park? Is it any good? I've been thinking of taking a couple of kids there.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Six Flags in New England was great, if there is anything to knock a hangover from the night before after being on the beer in Boston out of you, the Superman roller coaster will do the job!

The Shiekra roller coaster in Busch gardens in Tampa is probably the best rollercoaster I've ever been on, must have got on it about 6/7 times in the day I spent there, was class.

Honorable mention to Islands of Adventure/Universal in Orlando, particularly the Hulk and the main Harry Potter ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

JupiterKid wrote: »
    What do posters think of Tayto Park? Is it any good? I've been thinking of taking a couple of kids there.

It's more of an activity park really. Great for kids in terms of exercise. They're actually building a roller coaster there atm but it would be nothing in comparison to the popular theme parks in Europe / US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

From my own experience I can suggest Europa park (Rust, Germany) and Phantasialand (near Cologne, again Germany) as the best ones in Europe. Europa Park will get you everything, it's massive. Phantasialand is smaller but adorable and easy to reach. My little girl likes Phantasialand so much that we have been there 3 times. She likes it better than Disney Land in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

hdowney wrote: »

Seriously jealous!

I have been to Disneyland Paris 3 times with my sister and we both loved it. We never got to do any of this stuff when we were younger so we didn't even really care about the kids everywhere, it was just heavenly. When we walked in first the parade was on (I think it's usually on at midday), we were still trying to read our map etc so didn't even realise what was going on. You get totally caught up in the magic and can't stop smiling. We had sore faces from the smiling and laughing after the first day.
    The one thing that annoyed us was local brats skipping the queues and pretending they didn't understand us giving out to them but after the first few times it happened and the staff did nothing about it we just learned to ignore it and not let it bother us, otherwise you'll get very grumpy.
    We loved Space Mountain obviously and the Aerosmith rollercoaster, however, the first time we went on it for some reason the music never came on so it definitely wasn't as good without the music. The Tower of Terror was incredible - we wanted to go on that all day! Also loved the Cars ride and the Finding Nemo ride (although it was closed the last time we were there - there was a child having a full on tantrum about the ride being closed, I don't know about you but I would prefer the ride be in working order before I get on it :rolleyes:)
    The Toy Story one is very childish but we still went on it loads of times because it's fun shooting things.
    Oh and the haunted house ride, on the left hand side when you walk in first, is fun but not as exciting as the other rides.

When you come off Space Mountain for the first time it takes you a while to find your bearings again and you really are buzzing with adrenalin, you feel like you could do anything! You kind of feel like it's difficult to keep your feet on the ground or something.
    The night after our first day at Disneyland we both kept feeling like we weren't grounded or something.
    It was amazing :D

No rollercoaster is ever *quite* fast or scary enough for me, but there's one in Busch Gardens which almost winded me, that theme park would come a very close second to universal.

I bloody well love rollercoasters!

Shiekra in Busch Gardens? The first time it hung me over the 1st drop I nearly lost it. Kraken in SeaWorld is quite hard. As with most rollercoasters sit near the back to feel the most g's.

The worst/hardest roller-coaster I was ever on was some super hero thing in Great Adventure New Jersey. I think its called the Green Lantern now. We got on it, down the back, right before the park closed and were the only people on it. I assume that's why it was so fast. We got lashed out of it. My poor brains got a serious pounding. :p

My absolute favourite ride of all is Tower of Terror in MGM Studios (I still refuse to call it Hollywood :D). Its a shame the rest of the park isn't that great.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd like to go to theme parks more often but only if I was a celebrity or person with the power to skip the queues because they're truly unbearably. Even when you get the tickets for the shorter lines you usually end up waiting ages. Being able to rent out the entire park and bring some friends would be absolute bliss.

I'd like to go to theme parks more often but only if I was a celebrity or person with the power to skip the queues because they're truly unbearably. Even when you get the tickets for the shorter lines you usually end up waiting ages. Being able to rent out the entire park and bring some friends would be absolute bliss.

With Orlando, just dont go June-August and avoid weekends and bank holidays if you can. Thats not so easy with kids though! May and September are still roasting, less rain than July/August and its way cheaper to get and stay there.

Seriously jealous!

I have been to Disneyland Paris 3 times with my sister and we both loved it. We never got to do any of this stuff when we were younger so we didn't even really care about the kids everywhere, it was just heavenly. When we walked in first the parade was on (I think it's usually on at midday), we were still trying to read our map etc so didn't even realise what was going on. You get totally caught up in the magic and can't stop smiling. We had sore faces from the smiling and laughing after the first day.
    The one thing that annoyed us was local brats skipping the queues and pretending they didn't understand us giving out to them but after the first few times it happened and the staff did nothing about it we just learned to ignore it and not let it bother us, otherwise you'll get very grumpy.
    We loved Space Mountain obviously and the Aerosmith rollercoaster, however, the first time we went on it for some reason the music never came on so it definitely wasn't as good without the music. The Tower of Terror was incredible - we wanted to go on that all day! Also loved the Cars ride and the Finding Nemo ride (although it was closed the last time we were there - there was a child having a full on tantrum about the ride being closed, I don't know about you but I would prefer the ride be in working order before I get on it :rolleyes:)
    The Toy Story one is very childish but we still went on it loads of times because it's fun shooting things.
    Oh and the haunted house ride, on the left hand side when you walk in first, is fun but not as exciting as the other rides.

When you come off Space Mountain for the first time it takes you a while to find your bearings again and you really are buzzing with adrenalin, you feel like you could do anything! You kind of feel like it's difficult to keep your feet on the ground or something.
    The night after our first day at Disneyland we both kept feeling like we weren't grounded or something.
    It was amazing :D

I was the same as you when I went to Disney in '09, grinning like a Cheshire cat from the sheer joy of FINALLY being in Disney. And we went on everything sad sods that we were, even the kiddy Dumbo ride!!! Can't wait to try Space Mountain though.
    With Orlando, just dont go June-August and avoid weekends and bank holidays if you can. Thats not so easy with kids though! May and September are still roasting, less rain than July/August and its way cheaper to get and stay there.

Ooops, we are going in August!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If I had a theme park the theme would be queuing for hours on end.

Advertisement