Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights HD

Options
  • 05-10-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this on the marketplace yet? Thought it as out today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Found it in the A-Z section but when I clicked it gave an error message. Must have been a kerfuffle at XBLA HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Hopefully they are in the process of putting it up, that and medal of honor beta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone should get this game. I have the saturn original and its so good getting a perfect chain. One of the saturns best which is saying something considering how many good games were on that system. Classic Sega blue skies stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This coming to PC?

Think its coming to the PC, dunno any confirmed release date.

Am torn right now, have 800 MSP spare and have to choose between this, JSR HD or Fez!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just had a go there, this game has aged spectacularly well. Such a wonderful sense of momentum and grace to the movement. The HD remake allows the colours and levels to really shine. The ground graphics look their age, but what the hell are you doing on the ground :pac:

This is one game I've always wanted to own since I was young and living in a PS1 house. Nearly two decades on and I finally get to play it, and I'm not disappointed :) Buy it. It's, if you'll excuse the punnage, dreamy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The controls are just so good an fluid that it's a joy just flying around the levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Wow. I'm amazed how well this still plays all these years later. This is just a gem of a game, love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Downloaded the demo there, still have original on the Saturn at home. Feels great to play it, not quite as nice as the Saturn's (bespoke) controller but the rush of nostalgia is fantastic!! Leaderboard for those chains is must!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I read over a week ago on Siliconera that Nights HD includes the Christmas Nights levels. Just to let yee know, I love the idea of that, just a pity no other games have bonus levels for holidays. None that I know of anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sonic adventure 2's out too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sonic adventure 2's out too :pac:

I just can't do it. The music on those Shadow levels was bad enough the first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have the saturn version too. It's a great game that many will have never played. I don't have an xbox, no PC release date :(

I just can't do it. The music on those Shadow levels was bad enough the first time around.

I'd be more worried about the fact that the game is kind of crap.

I see Jeff Gerstmann hates Nights on giantbomb cast. He has to have the worst taste in games for a games journalist :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They fairly ripped into it on Rebel FM too. Nights and jet set radio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Polygon aren't too fond of it either: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/2/3446338/nights-into-dreams-hd-review-troubled-sleep

I really think the core gameplay and mechanics still impress. Obviously there's a few rough edges (the more vertical tracks are weird) and the first level or two are confusing until you figure out what's happening (it's ultimately not very complicated). But it's still is a very distinctive and immensely playable game, with a design and atmosphere unlike any others. Certainly compared to a lot of games from that era this holds up remarkably well.

Well from reading that review they completely misunderstood how the game is meant to be played. It says the game isn't a race and players should take their time which is absolutely wrong. You need to be fast and to keep your chain meter up to do well. No wonder the reviewer didn't like it when he didn't grasp the basic concept of the game. And then they gave out about the bosses saying it's hard to understand how to beat them? They are some of the easiest bosses going, have gamers been coddled that much that they can't work out how to beat a simple boss with out the game telling them exactly what to do despite it being pretty obvious.

I get the feeling the reviewer gave this a 20 minute blast before making up his mind considering the amount of mistakes and inaccuracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Oh nostalgia is powerful stuff.

One go of the trial on xbox live and I already bought it.

It was the super happy, incredibly corny but entirely enjoyable music.

Agree with retro that the reviewer has completely missed both the point and the charm of nights.

On a side note even in the trial version you can see the game at it's upmost corniness by going into options and selecting credits.

It will actually play the credits from the original game (with added thank you at the start to players of the original) but it's not what you see that cracks me up. It's the isanely over the top power duet.

Which if I remember correctly if you complete the game fully you get the even more painful version which has children singing the song :D

but to me this is always my favourite moment in the game both gameplay and audio (only those who played know why this works so well)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

You could play music from the game as a music CD in any normal cd player. Those two kids singing was rather cute I thought, well before the days of autotune!!

• Advertisement

I was actually suprised the 360 and PS3 can run this (and JSR HD), thought their GPU's were solely quartered off into "Brown", "Black", "Grey" and "Bloom effect" quadrents!

And I really like Dreams Dreams too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Actually looking forward to playing this because I've never played the original. I did play the Wii version which was mind numbingly dull however.

Advertisement