Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn between 2 Motorhomes

Options
  • 07-10-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

We are currently shopping for an upgrade. Have found 2 in our price range, both have features we want, but neither has all of them:D For those of you with experience, what would be deciding factors when looking for a MH?

Both MH have low mileage and fully serviced. Its coming down to layout. One has U lounge with 3 double beds, bike rack, roof box, the other has no U lounge, bike rack or roof box but large garage, bunks, 2 doubles and a single bed. We have 2 small kids so bunks are handy. And 2 dogs so garage is handy.

I know its a personal choice but would just like to hear some opinions on your preferred layouts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

My advice (for what its worth) is that you should decide on the layout that you want/need and go with that......its a whole lot easier/cheaper to add the extras (eg bike rack) than it is to redesign the layout.

Good luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

look at as many vans as you can to check out their layouts.
    If it was me, I would look for a fixed bed. Its great not having to pull apart the bed every morning especially if eveyone does not get up at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For choosing the right layout I always find it best to imagine a cold, wet and dreary weekend with everybody slightly pissed off.

Pick the layout that most likely doesn't make you want to kill your children or dogs :D

U-lounges for example are very nice for people in brochures who happily sit around the big table playing board games together...when's the last time your kids played board games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

if you have it down to 2 id say let missus decide because if you decide and some thing go,s wrong she can say i told you we should have went for the other one :)

best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Bike rack and roofbox can be retro fitted . I'd suggest bunks.. We haven't sold hardly any U lounges in the last 3 years .. and some manufacturers don't even make them new any more .

Other factors are the quality of the Body , the running condition , and if you have any comeback afterwards if there are problems... You say fully serviced...what does that mean ? Most of the ones I see here "fully serviced" , have had the oil and filters changed , and the lights checked . Fully serviced in my eyes is the Fridge serviced , the boiler and other gas appliances checked and a Gas leak test performed , the 12v and 220v charging systems checked , and the water pump tested ...only then do you move onto the oily bits . If its a Ducato from the mid nineties , you MUST check ALL the brake pipes , front to back , and the Front cross member .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

peasant wrote: »
    For choosing the right layout I always find it best to imagine a cold, wet and dreary weekend with everybody slightly pissed off.

Pick the layout that most likely doesn't make you want to kill your children or dogs :D

That is quite honestly the best advice anyone could ever give . I'm not joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

peasant wrote: »

U-lounges for example are very nice for people in brochures who happily sit around the big table playing board games together...when's the last time your kids played board games?

We play a lot of board games when away, in fact my two kids have me cleaned out at poker :)
    I agree with everything above. Our current MH has bunks which was the main reason for choosing it. The hastle of converting a bed to a table for breakfast didn't appeal to us after our first MH. The garage space is very practical for storage. For additional living space I'd recommend a safari room.
    Another benefit of bunks is when I go on a "boys" weekends to matches etc, we thankfully don't have to share double beds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

When we go for another van,if I don't convert myself ,It'll be bunks every time. Biggest thing against a u lounge for us would be lack of seatbelts.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

U Lounge is a must for anyone with kids in Ireland.

Great for having a few over for dinner also if the weather is crap!

Have a Dethleffs Advantage 6 berth with a fairly big U-Lounge and would not change this feature for bunk beds - bunk beds are a waste of space when your not sleeping.

Go for 4 seat belts in rear if possible - very handy.

Try get doors on both sides for rear garage/ boot.

Also for the missus - go for a camper where it is possible to walk past the kitchen without the person cooking having to move out of the way. Major fault in picking our first wagon. Corridor from front table to rear U lounge is narrow.

My 2 cents

Advertisement