Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In over my head?

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello all,

I'm currently looking for a change in career..completely different actually.
    I'm currently in retail management and do not enjoy it at all but it's paying the bills and all that.

For the last few years I have dabbled with learning a bit of web development, but only recently got into it seriously, all self thought using youtube, teamtreehouse, books and anything i can get my hands on.

I've a good basic understanding of a fair few languages now like html css javascript and bits and pieces using php python along with a bit of knowledge with photoshop and illustrator and that sort of thing although the design side doesn't appeal to me a huge amount I love the coding.

Am I mad to think with a few months more practice and building sites /programs /projects that I could apply for a junior position or anything at all to get me going in a job?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

Not mad at all. I'm delighted any time I hear someone is becoming a developer. Just keep making things, and put them up somewhere for the world to see such as GitHub, a personal website... anywhere at all really. Even writing about your experiences can be extremely useful.

Post like you're posting now with questions or if you're looking for feedback on anything. People here are a friendly bunch and would only be happy to answer questions or offer advice. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That's the key to being a Software Developer. Keep learning and working with new Technologies. Do you have a particular favourite or Technology you prefer to work with. Have you got a github account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

To be fair, in order to get a decent job you'll need a 3rd level qualification and that's a fact.

I, much like you learned some of my skills via online and so on but I was always interested in development. I managed to blag my way into an internship last year and without being big headed, I've kicked ass in the job I'm currently in. I've gone ahead of the other one developer that's in the place and for what I do, I'm very good at it.
    Apply as I might for the last 6 months I can't get a job anywhere else because I don't have a 3rd level qualification. I can't even get past HR in most places - just wasting time with recruiters.
    The guy I did the internship for wanted to hire me as a senior software developer in his company and pay me 24K a year, and since I'm not getting any younger I said I can either bite the bullet and go back to college or resign myself to the fact that I'll never really get out of that sort of pay bracket. I'm 33. The way I look at it is, if I can come this far in the time that I've been here, imagine what I could do with a proper education and a strong team around me.

I start college tomorrow week.
    Without a qualification you will need to know someone before you can even get an interview in this day and age and you will need to be exceptional at what you do.

Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

In regards to a third level qualification - does it make difference if the degree is a level 7 or level 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cppbutler

To be fair, in order to get a decent job you'll need a 3rd level qualification and that's a fact.

I, much like you learned some of my skills via online and so on but I was always interested in development. I managed to blag my way into an internship last year and without being big headed, I've kicked ass in the job I'm currently in. I've gone ahead of the other one developer that's in the place and for what I do, I'm very good at it.
    Apply as I might for the last 6 months I can't get a job anywhere else because I don't have a 3rd level qualification. I can't even get past HR in most places - just wasting time with recruiters.
    The guy I did the internship for wanted to hire me as a senior software developer in his company and pay me 24K a year, and since I'm not getting any younger I said I can either bite the bullet and go back to college or resign myself to the fact that I'll never really get out of that sort of pay bracket. I'm 33. The way I look at it is, if I can come this far in the time that I've been here, imagine what I could do with a proper education and a strong team around me.

I start college tomorrow week.
    Without a qualification you will need to know someone before you can even get an interview in this day and age and you will need to be exceptional at what you do.

Just my opinion

Do you really think it's necessary though?

I don't actually know but what I've seen with job descriptions on job sites not many require a degree just the certain skills. Obviously some might say it, but definitely not all.

I would have thought having a portfolio and just proving you can do these things would be much more important than having a degree that could be very broad etc.

Just a thought I've no experience going for these types of jobs yet OP. But I'm on a similar boat to yourself.

• Advertisement

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    In regards to a third level qualification - does it make difference if the degree is a level 7 or level 8?

Not really. Most companies only look for it as part of a checklist.
    cppbutler wrote: »
    Do you really think it's necessary though?

I don't actually know but what I've seen with job descriptions on job sites not many require a degree just the certain skills. Obviously some might say it, but definitely not all.

Yes I do. I wouldn't be spending 3 years in college if I didn't.
    True some jobs won't explicitly declare that they require a degree, but if its a company directly doing the hiring HR will filter the list down and bin those that don't have a qualification before starting so don't expect a response.
    Recruiters are no different. They waste your time with jobs and in all my time I've only managed to get one interview and one phone interview.

I would have thought having a portfolio and just proving you can do these things would be much more important than having a degree that could be very broad etc.

Just a thought I've no experience going for these types of jobs yet OP. But I'm on a similar boat to yourself.

Once you get past HR and the application goes forward, they will then look at your portfolio of work and that's where being able to prove your skills and abilities comes in, so yes - this is important and can give you an advantage. Don't expect HR or recruiters to have a bulls notion of what it is you do, because they won't. They try to sound clever sometimes with their questions, but they have no more understanding of the concept of MVC frameworks than I do about nuclear physics. They're generally only there to filter out the duds and chancers from the list of applications beforehand

That's not to say that it can't be without a qualification, because it can - but your options are severely limited as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 22 c1ans7even

Not really. Most companies only look for it as part of a checklist.

Yes I do. I wouldn't be spending 3 years in college if I didn't.
    True some jobs won't explicitly declare that they require a degree, but if its a company directly doing the hiring HR will filter the list down and bin those that don't have a qualification before starting so don't expect a response.
    Recruiters are no different. They waste your time with jobs and in all my time I've only managed to get one interview and one phone interview.

Once you get past HR and the application goes forward, they will then look at your portfolio of work and that's where being able to prove your skills and abilities comes in, so yes - this is important and can give you an advantage. Don't expect HR or recruiters to have a bulls notion of what it is you do, because they won't. They try to sound clever sometimes with their questions, but they have no more understanding of the concept of MVC frameworks than I do about nuclear physics

That's not to say that its impossible to do without a qualification, because it isn't - but your options are severely limited as a result

****, well that's slightly ruined my hopes and dreams haha

What course it is you're doing?

I actually wouldn't mind going to college for it but I don't have the money nor the time unfortunately especially with the kids and my other half working nights its just not feasible even an evening course which I've looked into before which is why I'm doing it the way i am

• Registered Users Posts: 22 c1ans7even

Itzy wrote: »
    That's the key to being a Software Developer. Keep learning and working with new Technologies. Do you have a particular favourite or Technology you prefer to work with. Have you got a github account?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm sure it's better to pick something you particularly like and master that skill yes?

I do have a github account now, no idea how to use it or what to even put on it but I'm sure ill get there thanks :P

c1ans7even wrote: »
    ****, well that's slightly ruined my hopes and dreams haha

What course it is you're doing?

I actually wouldn't mind going to college for it but I don't have the money nor the time unfortunately especially with the kids and my other half working nights its just not feasible even an evening course which I've looked into before which is why I'm doing it the way i am

Degree in Software Development

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, if you have spare time try to contribute to open source projects to build your CV and gain some experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

c1ans7even wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm sure it's better to pick something you particularly like and master that skill yes?

I do have a github account now, no idea how to use it or what to even put on it but I'm sure ill get there thanks :P

It is good to pick something you like and master it, before moving onto something else. I would suggest obtaining a Degree. Otherwise, you'll meet an awful lot of barriers to employment, as you'll be competing against graduates and the more experienced.

As for learning how to use Github, Google is your friend and will continue to be useful well into employment.

Advertisement