Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which garmin for on screen mapping?

Options
  • 05-04-2014 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Have a garmin edge 305...brilliant piece of kit works great with strava and provides great customizable onscreen data.
    Have the cadence and heart rate sensors aswell.
    Thinking about upgrading to something that i can see maps on to try different routes(apparently you can load routes onto the 305 but I don't think it would be its strong point as it wouldn't overlay a map)

So what should I look at??..or should I keep the 305 as it records and displays everything I want and use my iphone with it??
    Is there a waterproof/mount to do this?(I always carry it with me anyway in case of emergency)
    Cheers,
    Marty
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Edge 705 (older version) upwards does proper maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Oregon and Dakota also

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I have the 810, the maps are pretty good. I installed the OpenStreetMaps by following the instructions from DcRainmaker.

The navigation, on the other hand, is really ****ty and inconsistent.
    I setup a few courses and rode them;
    • I was following one, but a road was flooded, so I had to reroute. The Garmin didn't like that, it kept telling me to make U-Turns to go back to the point I left the course at. When I rejoined the course it was all OK again. But I had to go 16km out of the way.
    • I set it to ride the MIL mt. Temple Circuit, here in Athlone, but it pointed me straight to the end point and stopped navigating. But it did mark out the available course in grey on the screen.
    • I set out to ride to Glassan, with the start point of the course at one end of my car park, and the end point at the other end of the car park. It just kept telling me to make U-Turns to go back to the start.
    • I was kinda lost in the countryside of Westmeath, I used the "Loop to Start", after it tried to send me back to Longford, it copped on and started routing properly.

Still though it's useful. I set up a page with four items on it,
    • Distance to next turn.
    • Current Speed.
    • Cadence.
    • Distance to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers all for replies..some food for thought...feeling il stick with what i have though as its not missing enough to justify the expense.
    Just need to look at the map a bit better before i hit out :)
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheers all for replies..some food for thought...feeling il stick with what i have though as its not missing enough to justify the expense.
    Just need to look at the map a bit better before i hit out :)
    Marty.

Have a look at garmin etrex range, no cadence etc but good for long distance and you can bring spare batteries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have a look at garmin etrex range, no cadence etc but good for long distance and you can bring spare batteries

Or a smartphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    Or a smartphone?

That's what I use but for 15-20hr rides where you need or might need phone a stem mounted etrex ticks a lot of boxes in unkown country?

You've changed your tune.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83228746&postcount=27

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ford2600 wrote: »
    That's what I use but for 15-20hr rides where you need or might need phone a stem mounted etrex ticks a lot of boxes in unkown country?

You've changed your tune.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83228746&postcount=27

:D

I dont even down load the bread crumb trail to the 500 now. Just wing it and use the phone when i get lost (which I have done plenty of times!)

I thought the suggestion was to use the garmin etrex range as well as the edge 305 which seemed pointless as most people have gps on their smart phone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have the 810, the maps are pretty good. I installed the OpenStreetMaps by following the instructions from DcRainmaker.

I setup a few courses and rode them;
    • I was following one, but a road was flooded, so I had to reroute. The Garmin didn't like that, it kept telling me to make U-Turns to go back to the point I left the course at. When I rejoined the course it was all OK again. But I had to go 16km out of the way.
    • I set it to ride the MIL mt. Temple Circuit, here in Athlone, but it pointed me straight to the end point and stopped navigating. But it did mark out the available course in grey on the screen.
    • I set out to ride to Glassan, with the start point of the course at one end of my car park, and the end point at the other end of the car park. It just kept telling me to make U-Turns to go back to the start.
    • I was kinda lost in the countryside of Westmeath, I used the "Loop to Start", after it tried to send me back to Longford, it copped on and started routing properly.

Still though it's useful. I set up a page with four items on it,
    • Distance to next turn.
    • Current Speed.
    • Cadence.
    • Distance to end.

You do know this feature can be switched on or off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

I setup a few courses and rode them

Using a 800 with openstreetmaps myself haven't used the mapping a whole lot but has been a bit iffy. Am wondering is the navigation any better with garmins own maps? The maps themselves are good.

When I tried using the navigation that involves back roads it may suggest a much longer route. Was on the Mulingar road near Ballymore one day and stuck in Moate and it was suggesting going via Athlone, When I turned down a side road towards Mount Temple it recalculated the direct route.

Only tried out the courses once bit iffy first 10k or so kept suggesting I do a u turn when I passed a waypoint then would recalculate after a minute and be fine. It then started working properly and navigation back to course if I left it worked fine. The course it self is very visible on map and easy to read so even if prompts don't work it is easy to follow the onscreen map.

The mapping is handy but I don't normally need it usualy check out map before I head to a new area and I have a fairly good sense of direction. Will be handy though for following a specific route so will use it for the Easter fleche. Did notice it is a lot harder on the battery when navigating so will need to carry a backup battery and charger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement