Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark 4's

• 13-12-2013 5:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭

Notice that the generator in the DVT on the Mark 4's is being shut down at nights. Assuming to save fuel, its being long overdue and should of being happening years ago.

Are they easy to start as they would of being the reasons they were not shut down before so have IE developed some way to start them quickly. Not sure if its happening in Cork but it has being in Dublin. All the sets that I have saw shut down have being without the 201's attached.

Is it only a matter of time before the 201's are shut down at nights and started again for service in the mornings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're modern generators, I wouldn't imagine they're particularly hard to start at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Notice that the generator in the DVT on the Mark 4's is being shut down at nights.
    I'm sorry... WHAT? They were running as is? Good grief. No wonder IE reduced the number rostered "to save money".

Is it only a matter of time before the 201's are shut down at nights and started again for service in the mornings.
    When VIA Rail refitted their EMD 645 powered F40PH a start/stop system was added, and they have much colder weather to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dowlingm wrote: »
    I'm sorry... WHAT? They were running as is? Good grief. No wonder IE reduced the number rostered "to save money".

Yep they used to be running 24/7 like the old Mark3's. Would love to see the costs involved!

Why would they leave them running all night?! Seems daft.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Why would they leave them running all night?! Seems daft.

Who knows, operational convenience? but its IE here and this wouldn't be the first daft thing to be done!

I could understand it maybe in exceptionally cold weather like that absolutely freak winter a few years ago, but otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

They should have sockets on the platforms / sidings for power when the train is parked for long stays too. It should be possible to connect a major 400V three phase supply to the power car or The DMU sets for the 22000s to provide heat and light for cleaning and storage without having to burn diesel.

Cheaper and more eco friendly to use mains power possible.

Shouldn't be very complicated as Irish trains use normal mains voltages and frequencies for everything on board. Its similar to hooking up a portacabin etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

dowlingm wrote: »
    When VIA Rail refitted their EMD 645 powered F40PH a start/stop system was added, and they have much colder weather to deal with.
    I wonder what the bill is for running the engine block heaters on those things.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I could understand it maybe in exceptionally cold weather like that absolutely freak winter a few years ago, but otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

They should have sockets on the platforms / sidings for power when the train is parked for long stays too. It should be possible to connect a major 400V three phase supply to the power car or The DMU sets for the 22000s to provide heat and light for cleaning and storage without having to burn diesel.

Cheaper and more eco friendly to use mains power possible.

Shouldn't be very complicated as Irish trains use normal mains voltages and frequencies for everything on board. Its similar to hooking up a portacabin etc

They don't even need a mains connection, the trains are cleaned more less after the last service while the 22's cut power and fuel burn 20 minutes after being stopped and automatically shut down engines. Walk in Heuston station after a 9 at night and any 22 that's not operating a service will have none or a max of 1 engine running and it's almost silent while they are being cleaned. The fuel being wasted would probably be less than a mains cost.

They have even put the doors on the 22's on timers to close as it's supposed to save fuel. Now I can't see how it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

They have even put the doors on the 22's on timers to close as it's supposed to save fuel. Now I can't see how it does.

Heating I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

MGWR wrote: »
    I wonder what the bill is for running the engine block heaters on those things.
    Probably a variant of this system:
    http://www.getransportation.com/resources/doc_download/17-aess-brochure.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Probably adds to the cost of maintenance of the doors, my experience at Docklands with 22ks is that the door closes to the platform ends up closing and opening multiple times before departure as people arrive to the train.

Advertisement