Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where/What is "Clonydonnin"

Options
  • 17-11-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭

So I was watching the live status page of the Dublin-Galway Train (someone is coming to visit) and I notice (after) Clara, the train arrived/Departed Clonydonnin. Don't recall a station of that name, is it a passing loop of some kind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Clonydonnin is a passing loop half way between Clara and Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are two remote passing loops on the Galway route:

Clonnydonnin as per above and Geashill between Portarlington and Tullamore.

The Westport route has one at Knockcroghery between Athlone and Roscommon, and Sligo has one at Killucan, between Enfield and Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is also Dromkeen between Limerick and Limerick Junction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

are they at former stations and are they used much? odd aspect I had never realised about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

corktina wrote: »
    are they at former stations and are they used much? odd aspect I had never realised about

They generally are at old stations or at least the site of their signal cabins controling a block post and yes they can be used quite a lot, depending on how busy a line is.

Knockcroghery was retained both as a fringe box for CTC and in ETS days as a rendevous for ballast trains for Lecarrow which collected a subsidary train staff in the good old days of ETS operation.

There is also a loop at Carraig on Shannon outside the station and Enfield is one other point on the Sligo line that allows for crossing. Woodlawn is a crossing point on the Galway line while Limerick Junction has one on the Limerick side; it was long used for goods trains to be bypassed but I doubt if it sees much use these days. Thomastown was used till a few years ago on the Waterford line before it was moved to Ballyhale to save waiting times on crossings.

I gather than Cobh Junction has a loop of sorts on the Midleton branch; perhaps somebody may be able to clarify the arrangement down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Lets not forget Galway Loop, which is just outside Galway Station on the bridge at Lough Atalia, used by many services to pass. Quite frustrating place if you are coming from the east, you are just about in Galway, can see the city centre, but have to wait for a departing service!

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Lets not forget Galway Loop, which is just outside Galway Station on the bridge at Lough Atalia, used by many services to pass. Quite frustrating place if you are coming from the east, you are just about in Galway, can see the city centre, but have to wait for a departing service!

Far less trains use Galway loop since the last timetable change when Oranmore opened.

You could then also add Sligo loop, which is outside the station, along with Carrick-on-Shannon and Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

No loop there this long time, sadly. The nearest ones are Rosslare Strand and Enniscorthy.

Wexford does have a loop!!!

It's just north of the station.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Wexford does have a loop!!!

It's just north of the station.

Gadzonks; I forgot about it, LXflyer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Woodlawn loop is also a station, just to point that out.

The loop just at Galway is even more frustrating if you're heading east, you're only barely out of the station and you're sitting there unmoving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Wexford loop must get the prize for being the most underutilised...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a passing loop at Clara as well.

Niles wrote: »
    Wexford loop must get the prize for being the most underutilised...

Indeed - but if there was a failure or there is a ballast train then it can be needed.

Better to have than to have not I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

lxflyer wrote: »
    Indeed - but if there was a failure or there is a ballast train then it can be needed.

Better to have than to have not I would suggest.

Absolutely, no harm in long term planning. I believe there is/was also a runround facility in the yard, the Waterford cement would have used it going back 10 years or more.

Advertisement