Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Underground Night Tube from 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

TBH I think the real story is this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25025888

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

TBH I think the real story is this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25025888

I do see your point now. This is very disappointing.

I didn't realise that the cuts in LU were going to be this severe. However, it is good for the workers to have flexibility as the job cuts aren't permanent. The employees can come back at a later stage if LU decides to have them back. But the issue of job security is a major one to be addressed. I don't know the company will do that.

I do like the idea of having the service expanding into other areas with newer trains (although are the new trains actually needed at all?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How come there's no circle line operating during the Night Tube?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

shutting booking offices is inevitable now it is so easy to use the ticket machines and pay on line via Oyster etc.

Personally I was amazed the tube didn't already run 24 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

You could ask the same of the Bakerloo, District, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Waterloo & City?

I wonder how 24 hour running is going to affect an already highly restricted maintenance schedule? It will be interesting to see if the infrastructure is up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They're opening a limited network on Fridays and Saturdays. I would assume it's a case of let's see how this works before they consider extending it.

The reason there is the wait until 2015 is for the Northern upgrade to be completed. They didn't wants he Victoria to be the only north/south line.

GBOA wrote: »
    You could ask the same of the Bakerloo, District, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Waterloo & City?

I wonder how 24 hour running is going to affect an already highly restricted maintenance schedule? It will be interesting to see if the infrastructure is up to it.

It is only Fridays and Saturdays - that still leaves five nights per week for maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

lxflyer wrote: »
    It is only Fridays and Saturdays - that still leaves five nights per week for maintenance.

Yes, but with only 4-5 hours a night (depending on line) for maintenance, that's going mean to mean a weekly reduction of up to 26% in time available to do the same amount of work.

GBOA wrote: »
    Yes, but with only 4-5 hours a night (depending on line) for maintenance, that's going mean to mean a weekly reduction of up to 26% in time available to do the same amount of work.

True but other metro systems such as Berlin and Barcelona manage to cope - is there something unique about the LU that would prevent them from doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

only 4-5 hours a night

More like 2-3 hours if you're lucky, depends on late current, distance from depots humour of the TAC and lots of other factors. We have a up to a dozen crews out every night on LU and despite the short hours you can still get a lot done but at huge cost.

Hanging around waiting for the last train to go on a Friday night is always amusing watching the drunks miss their last train (well mostly, it's sometimes downright scary!). At least they won't have to worry in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

True but other metro systems such as Berlin and Barcelona manage to cope - is there something unique about the LU that would prevent them from doing so?
    I think London has specific maintenance issues caused by system age and topology (flooding) that maybe some other cities don't suffer from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mainly the age of the system, that's why it needs so much maintenence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

its crazy they dont have it now or that its not going to be happening until 2015!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Any Londoner will tell you it's bad enough waiting all day for one of those yokes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine it is down to cost. Underground stations need to be staffed when they are open. This way, they give some level of service to lots of people with as few of the underground stations open as possible.

Advertisement