Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering Wheel Position in Test - Important to do 10 & 2?

Options
  • 31-03-2013 8:52pm

Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to driving. Did a few lessons. Have a couple of hours experience on my own, don't quite feel ready to be doing the test just yet (few things I need to work on, mostly observation) but something I do a lot (ie; all the time) is drive with my hands low on the wheel.

Instructor (who, to be fair, has been great) insists on the 10 and 2 o clock position (upper left and right of wheel). I can drive like this, but I find it very uncomfortable and it doesn't take long until my arms start to feel 'heavy' on the wheel.

When I'm alone, I drive with my hands at ever so slightly lower than 8 and 4 o clock (low enough down). I find this more comfortable, more controlling and it also leaves me with ample opportunity to reach to the top of the wheel should I need it for tight turns, parking, etc.

However, I assumed it was an instant fail in the test itself?

I did a little Google (boredom) and came across a lot of stuff saying that "10 and 2 is years old and has been replaced with 8 and 4".

This video for example;

So I just thought I'd ask on here if anyone knows if I'm okay to be lower down on the steering wheel, or if I should be trying to be staying up at 10 and 2 for the test itself?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Personally I drive at 9 and 3, and was generally told that as long as your hands don't go past 12 or 6 when turning the wheel you're ok.

However, I think if you drive with your hands that low on the wheel, the tester may see it as a bit... arrogant almost on your part. I know you're not trying to be arrogant and it's just more comfortable for you, but what I guess I'm trying to say is that on the day of the test you're going out to fullfill the testers criteria, and if you get someone who doesnt like deviations on the norm, you might predispose them to being harder on you.

Is it possible perhaps that you don't have the seat adjusted properly for your reach? They say that if you can rest your palms on the top of the wheel without lifting your shoulders off the seat, then you are in a good position for your arms to fall naturally around the 2 and 4 positions.

I don't really think the video you posted should sway you to drive in a certain way to pass a test in Ireland, as it's for the american culture, and if I'm not mistaken they are encouraged to do the hand over hand steering method in everyday driving; something else which i believe is frowned upon here.

As always though, your ADI should give you the definitive answer on this :)

Here's something i found useful

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

left hand at 9 and right hand at 3 would be ok.
    Some cars have adjustable steering wheels, which go up/down and in/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I was told when I did lessons last year that 9 & 3 is now the standard position you should use rather than 10 & 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... 9 & 3 is now the standard position ... .
    At 9 & 3 or 10 & 2 the stalks for indicators, wipers, etc are within easy reah od your fingers without moving your hands from the wheel.

I use 10 & 2 because I'm old. I find from those hand positions by turning the wheel from my shoulders I can go lock to lock (well almost) without moving my hands from the wheel

Advertisement