Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Provisional License

• 15-03-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey i be getting my provisional license and i read that you are not aloud to drive by yourself while holding it but i often see people driving around town with L`s and no one with them i was wondering if there is some way you can drive around my area by myself while having provisional license

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hey i be getting my provisional license and i read that you are not aloud to drive by yourself while holding it but i often see people driving around town with L`s and no one with them i was wondering if there is some way you can drive around my area by myself while having provisional license

You legally cannot drive on your own without a person who holds a full license for a minimum period of 2 years.

However, many people flaunt this law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

The person driving the car may be sharing the car with the learner and indeed themselves have a full license.

I drove for afew years w/o my plates up and never got stopped once, but in fairness the handiest thing to do is just book the test and some lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Learning to Drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The person driving the car may be sharing the car with the learner and indeed themselves have a full license.

I drove for afew years w/o my plates up and never got stopped once, but in fairness the handiest thing to do is just book the test and some lessons.

this 100%

it costs way more to get insured as a provisional. loads of people get insured as a provisional and drive around on their own. a friend of mine thought he was the business last year when he got insured and was on the road, mammy and daddy paid mind. he then couldnt afford to go to college and is now sitting on the dole.

dont chance driving alone on a provisional. the risks outweigh the reward

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arifshirvani

alright thanks or the help guys. juts one more question if i be driving with my dad (he has full license) do i need to be added as a additional driver to insurance ? or its just for no claims bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

alright thanks or the help guys. juts one more question if i be driving with my dad (he has full license) do i need to be added as a additional driver to insurance ? or its just for no claims bonus
    Absolutely. You must be added to the insurance as a named driver. It's illegal to driver in a public place without insurance. Once insured you can then build up your no claims discount as a named driver

With respect, you really need to talk to a Qualified Driving instructor and the pop down to the Garda station while your at it, ask for the Traffic Corp. They'll answer all your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hey I have a question:

After passing the theory test you bring your form they theory test gives you into the local licensing authority. Is it true you need an eye test??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What your application or renewal should include
    A completed application form ( D201,PDF), which can also be obtained from your local Motor tax office.
    • Two passport-type photographs (signed on back)
    • Your current or most recent driving licence (if you hold a driving licence or held one within the previous 10 years) and/or:
    • your current/most recent learner permit (if you hold a current learner permit or held one within the previous five years – unless your most recent learner permit has been superseded by the issue of a driving licence)
    • The appropriate fee
    The following may also be required:
    • An original birth certificate/passport
    • An original certificate of registration
    • A completed medical report D501 form (if your are downloading the Medical Report form you must print it back to back)
    • A completed eyesight D502 form
    • Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
    • Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you havr not sat a driving set in the last two years
    • Lost licence declaration
    • Theory test certificate
    Taken from here.

Shane St. wrote: »
    Hey I have a question:

After passing the theory test you bring your form they theory test gives you into the local licensing authority. Is it true you need an eye test??

Yes. Its €20 in SpecSavers (And others) from memory. Very stupid test. Literally follow a pencil etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

what is the Eye test like, i see there was a brief explanation in the comment above but can someone who has done it recently give a bit more detail? my eye sight is grand its just my long-sight wouldnt be that great and i hope i dont have to fork out 100 odd quid for glasses..just wondering if it would be that hard to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

deand21594 wrote: »
    what is the Eye test like, i see there was a brief explanation in the comment above but can someone who has done it recently give a bit more detail? my eye sight is grand its just my long-sight wouldnt be that great and i hope i dont have to fork out 100 odd quid for glasses..just wondering if it would be that hard to pass

Hi,

The official standard required
    The person shall have a binocular visual acuity, with corrective lenses if necessary, of at least 0,5 (6/12) when using both eyes together. The horizontal visual field should be at least 120 degrees, the extension should be at least 50 degrees left and right and 20 degrees up and down. No defects should be present within a radius of the central 20
    degrees.

The same standard as in the UK where the examiner requests the applicant prior to the driving test to read a number plate at 20 meters.

So you can give yourself a rough long-sight check. Can you read a number plate at 20 meters ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Absolutely. You must be added to the insurance as a named driver. It's illegal to driver in a public place without insurance. Once insured you can then build up your no claims discount as a named driver

A lot of companies now see named driver insurance as having your own insurance and will get the same quote/no claims discount as someone who had their own insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Well it's definitely more than 'follow a pencil' if you go somewhere reputable :rolleyes:

If you don't wear glasses atm though and don't have any trouble in this regard in day to day life you should be fine. I don't have 20/20 vision and I'm a bit 'borderline' as to whether not I need glasses, but told I was fine for driving. So long as you tell them it's for a driving test I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really struggling day to day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I had to do it last year. It is definitely a lot more involved than simply following a pencil. I was in there for 10-15 mins. Short vision was tested, as was long vision, as was my peripheral vision in each eye. Thinking your eye sight is grand for day to day vision is one thing. Having it be ok when you are in control of a two ton vehicle traveling at high speeds is something else entirely.

If your long vision is not fairly decent, you won't be able to see road sighs and markings in time for you to decide in time which lane you need to be. Which leads to last minute veering across lanes to get into the one that you need to be in, all because you only saw the sign at the last minute. That can be incredibly dangerous, especially if you are traveling at high speeds on a motorway. No one (myself included) is ever thrilled when they are told that they have to shell out money for glasses, but if you need them and you don't drive without them, you are a danger to yourself as well as others.

Advertisement