Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gatso van ...no licence

• 18-03-2013 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hey guys i bought a car,its in my name .
    im waiting to get my licence which i wont be able to get for 2 months (due to my age) ...
    my mate needed a lift home ,live in a rural area and its only up the road so i give him a lift as he was badly stuck.
    so on the way back i seen a gatso van think i was over the limit by aprox 20kmh if i was what do you suggest i do?thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

NORMALLY:

You'd get the fine and points like any other driver.

When you can't send your licence, you'd be prosecuted for Failing to Produce and you'd be served with a Summons to appear in court to explain your story to a Judge.

HOWEVER:

If you go down to your local Garda station and explain the situation to whoever comes out to speak with you, they might have a more informal way of doing things due to your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

hey guys i bought a car,its in my name .
    im waiting to get my licence which i wont be able to get for 2 months (due to my age) ...
    my mate needed a lift home ,live in a rural area and its only up the road so i give him a lift as he was badly stuck.
    so on the way back i seen a gatso van think i was over the limit by aprox 20kmh if i was what do you suggest i do?thanks

Did you not post recently about driving before you were road legal? I seem to remember lots of replies warning against it and the possible consequences.
    You said it was for a job if I'm not mistaken, wonder how good this friend going to be, you seem to be determined to drive illegally no matter what GOOD reason you find for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Did you not post recently about driving before you were road legal? I seem to remember lots of replies warning against it and the possible consequences.
    You said it was for a job if I'm not mistaken, wonder how good this friend going to be, you seem to be determined to drive illegally no matter what GOOD reason you find for it

Bang on Motor -Ed "Hey , basicly i got a job offer which i badly need ,im 16 and its after school hours and its very good money. our family are badly stuck for money and could really do with the extra cash. i would have no way of getting there and im not 17 for 3 months so cant apply for a licence yet. i have my own car. i live in the countryside... there is tax and NCT on the car and the previous owner left the old insurance disc in the window which says theres another 6months insurance (policy is cancelled) i would have everything on the window.
    i know its stupid but we really need it.its a family car and im not a mad driver so wouldnt act the clown.
    what would happen if i get caught?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

[QUOTE= "
    i know its stupid but we really need it.its a family car and im not a mad driver so wouldnt act the clown.
    what would happen if i get caught?"
    [/QUOTE]

We'll I think driving 20kms over the speed limit as a very inexperienced driver disproves that statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Hmm...16, no licence, no insurance and 20kmph over the speed limit. I hope you see the inside of a cell, but that's highly unlikely. Best the rest of the road users can hope is that the car is taken off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There is no good outcome to this. Knowing that you had no licence and no insurance but your family was financially dependent on your being able to drive under the radar, so to speak, you drove at 20 kph over the speed limit. In the name of God, why? The success of your strategy crucially depends on your not attracting the attention of the authorities to what you're at, so why behave like this? If you set about demonstrating why young people are considered too immature to make the judgments necessary to be trusted behind a wheel, you could hardly have done a better job.

There is nothing you can do. Your best hope is that the van, for whatever reason, did not register you driving over the limit. If you go voluntarily to the station and admit to driving under age, without a licence, without insurance, displaying an invalid insurance disc and speeding, I don't see them dealing with this informally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

i need transport as my hobby relies on it
    Job or hobby, OP, which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you need transport then take the theory test, do ibt, pay for tax and insurance and get a moped you are going to end up killing yourself and someone else. There is no excuse for what you are doing. :mad::mad:
    You can legally drive a moped and if you can't afford one get yourself a bicycle and cycle like everyone else your age, I used to cycle 10 miles to work every day so if i can do it so can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Can minors get records here?
    And can points be put on a ghost licence like if you get caught spreeding in the uk with a roi licence?

OP don't hold out on getting insured when you turn 17 anymore!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0038.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

You are tooty fruity.
    There are laws in place exactly to stop people like being on the road.
    Under age, no licence, no insurance.
    But still you took a car out on the road knowing all this?
    Your mate was badly stuck but only lived up the road. Bull
    Your mam is a driving instructor apparently according to one of your previous posts?
    Jasus - don't let her teach anyone if you are to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

You deserve never to be on the road.

In the immediate situation though...

1. Was the speed limit legal? I've seen plenty of those vans hanging around places where the speed limit is illegal. Illegal?? Yes, illegal. Speed limit changes cannot be too great, that's why if you're on a stretch of 100kmph road approaching a town, it'll go to 80, then 60, then 50. They can't reduce it from 100 to 50 directly. There's a change like this at the red cow and plenty of those vans hang out there. A friend of mine "sped" past it (at a safe speed, but still above the illegal limit), but was never issued with the fine. Which brings me to point 2.

2. Sit tight. Nothing may ever happen.

3. If you were caught, tough ****. You deserved to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

the unfortunate thing is that tooty fruity wont see the inside of a court house, let alone a jail cell.

JLO scheme, and a stern talking to,
    that'll be all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

pa990 wrote: »
    the unfortunate thing is that tooty fruity wont see the inside of a court house, let alone a jail cell.

JLO scheme, and a stern talking to,
    that'll be all
    I asked an adi what would happen. He said that he'd get an endorsement on any future license and penalty points later too.

Hopefully they'll be waiting for him.

Advertisement