Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC only working correctly on VPN

Options
  • 21-10-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I first noticed this behaviour when in India, the internet was far more reliable when using a VPN.

I put this down to their network trying to cache files for performance reasons and/ or record all traffic, but since they didn't have sufficient hardware investment, the network was unstable.

After getting UPC, I've noticed a lot of issues especially with google services, but in general, a lot of dropped connectivity on many sites for short and long periods.

Using a VPN results in full internet service restored (despite UPC's [ludicrous?] T&C's).

Anyone surmise if this is bad network configuration on UPC's part or something more sinister or both?

Posting here first because the act of taking the potentially long and frustrating time out of my life to wrangle a (unsatisfactory?) solution or explanation from a large telecoms provider is something I can and will put off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Try changing your DNS servers to Google's servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 2 McLoop

Yeah, boringly enough, DNS servers seem to have sorted my UPC connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

You should use open dns instead of Google's servers

Advertisement