Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cabinet / switch / patch panel

Options
  • 07-10-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

I'm installing a new cabinet / switch / patch panel in the office.

I'm going with a 24 port patch panel and 24 port switch.

Getting slightly confusing re. physical size of cabinet to get. Ideally, I want the most compact cabinet available as the only other equipment in there will be the router. (With 24 ports I am allowing for 100% expansion which is unlikely)

If anyone in the know knows of a compact cabinet that would work, please let me know! Ideally a 24 port / patch panel over 2 levels would work best (ie. 2 x 12 patch panel) as keeping the cabinet as narrow as possible will help. - And reliable switch to go with it.

I'll keep shopping in the meantime, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

You're looking at at least a 4u rack(1u switch, 1u 12 port patch x2, 1u space for router).

What's your budget?
    Do you care more about it being narrow than being cheap?
    Do you want to wall mount it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheNileEffect

It's unlikely the switch you have selected will fit in a 450mm deep rack unit. The switch is 440mm deep, leaving almost no space for either the power cable at the rear, or the network cables at the front. Also note that the mounting brackets in a rack unit are typically 40-50mm recessed inside the front door. You should really look for at least a 600mm deep unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's unlikely the switch you have selected will fit in a 450mm deep rack unit. The switch is 440mm deep, leaving almost no space for either the power cable at the rear, or the network cables at the front. Also note that the mounting brackets in a rack unit are typically 40-50mm recessed inside the front door. You should really look for at least a 600mm deep unit.

It says: Product Dimensions 20 x 44 x 4.4 cm

I thought it'd make sense that it's 20cm deep x 44cm wide x 4.4cm high - This would make sense from the pics - looks about half the depth of the width. Are these cabinets a universal width?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheNileEffect

Aha, sorry I misread the dimensions, in such as case I think you're good to go :) (The racks are a universal width- usually measured as 19 of those old inch things).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

JohnCleary wrote: »
    .....looks about half the depth of the width. Are these cabinets a universal width?

yip 19 inch

you can get 10 inch cabinets,switches & patch panels though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers guys. I suspected they were pretty much universal width, but I do remember seeing different sized cabinets in the future.

I'm a networks person, not an electrician / fitter, however i've been tasked with sourcing hardware for this particular job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

JohnCleary wrote: »
    .....looks about half the depth of the width. Are these cabinets a universal width?

yip 19 inch

you can get 10 inch cabinets,switches & patch panels though

& 13 inch switches

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

These guys here can help you with all the stuff you need.

Ask them for advise,tell them what you have and they will assist you in a friendly way !
    IF you are Dublin based i can assist you with installation with "boardsie" discount.

Have fun !

Advertisement