Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help please. Indicators gone nuts

Options
  • 20-12-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

My evil little bike has decided to annoy me again. Less than 24 hours after getting it back from repairs there are problems with the indicators. At random, either the left or right indicators don't work whilst driving. They seem fine when I'm stationary. Sometimes there is also a 1-2 seconds delay befor they activate.

What's unusual, is that it only ever effects the indicators on one side at any given time. So the left indicators will not work, but the right indicators will. A few minutes later and it's vice versa. At other times, they all work perfectly fine.

So I'm in a situation where I can't depend on my indicators to work at all, so I'm using hand signals (just today).

Any ideas?

Oh, and it's one of those terribly unreliable Gilera DNA 180's if that is of any help. I'm soooooo close to buying a cage right now :D

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I'm soooooo close to buying a cage right now :D

hey remember that time you marhsalled and i shot you by mistake :pac:

dont buy a cage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Well I guess I'll just try bringing the bike to my parish priest and ask him to perform an exorcism on it.

And weeder, yeah...a mistake....really...I believe you :p

Cheers to everyone who read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Schmowen

Do all the bulbs light up .

Sounds like you might need a new relay . They're not expensive .

I used to work in a bike shop/workshop and generally indicator problems were either or a combo of loose connections , faulty relays , faulty bulbs(or different wattage) , needed restrictors (led indos only) . Indos can be a pain in the arse at times but the solution is usually a simple one .

I hated the dna's . Used to give awful grief . Would you not progress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

^^^ I didn't work in a bike shop so I'm not so sure.

But if it's left working, then right & vice versa I'm thinking you may have some sort of loose connection if works when you are stationary (i.e. you have front wheel pointing straight ahead).

Probably not the problem but worth putting it up on the stand and checking if its got anything to do with turning the handlebars as then you can rule in or out a loose connection.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I noticed today that when the indicators (left or right) weren't working, that if I gently pressing either brake it would 'fix' them.

Really really weird.

The bulbs were only replaced about 6 months ago (one went, so I just had them all replaced due to their age). I've no idea what the relays are, where they are or how to test them. I'm kindof a noob when it comes to bike maintenence to be honest. I know just enough to keep it running.

Oh, and regarding 'Do all the bulbs light up", I'm not 100% sure what you mean. They don't turn on when they are meant to....sometimes. Also, and possibly unrelated, if I drive with my alarm connected, the indicators sometimes get stuck in a state where all 4 are blinking at once and won't turn off. I just disconnect the alarm before driving now...I think the alarm has a fault.

I know the DNA's are nothing but hassle, but if I were to buy a new bike it would be a full bike. That means going through the hassle of getting a new licence (including driver theory test) since my current full licence is restricted to automatics. I'm torn between sticking with the DNA, getting another bike, or getting a car (which would help transporting bulky airsoft equipment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

hows youre headlight?
    is it weak and gets brighter as you rev the bike?
    if it is i'd say youre battery's knackered

jambofc wrote: »
    hows youre headlight?
    is it weak and gets brighter as you rev the bike?
    if it is i'd say youre battery's knackered

The headlight is constant so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks for your post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

then its crossed wire somewere start from the rear brakelight trace it back to where the indo wires connect and check that out first,possible connector block or home diy connections(ie taped together)

Advertisement