Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with lip piercing..

Options
  • 09-10-2014 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, got my lip pierced at the side last Saturday, was healing up lovely, not too sore or swollen, doing all the after care as per instructions. But last night I must have done something to it in my sleep because the inside is swelling up like mad to the point where the flat disk part looks almost imbedded into the tissue and I'm terrified it'll heal over it! I've been sucking ice cubes to try bring the swelling down, trying not to fiddle with it too much just cleaning and pushing it in so it doesn't have a chance to heal over. it's definately not infected as its still not that painful and not really red. Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't heal over the back of it? I'm not going to be able to get to a piercing shop till the weekend to get a longer bar (was already done with a long enough one).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Here's a picture if it gives a better idea! It's just the inside affected it looks perfect from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

From the looks of things a longer bar should sort you out. If it suits your circumstances, take some Nurofen Plus to combat any swelling until you can see your piercer.

I'm going to head in and get the longer bar tomorrow. Can't take neurofen unfortunately but a combo of sucking ice cubes, drinking calmolile tea and doing sea salt soaks dramatically reduced the swelling. Still a bit embedded though so I'll get the longer bar to be safe :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

Hi folks, got my lip pierced at the side last Saturday, was healing up lovely, not too sore or swollen, doing all the after care as per instructions. But last night I must have done something to it in my sleep because the inside is swelling up like mad to the point where the flat disk part looks almost imbedded into the tissue and I'm terrified it'll heal over it! I've been sucking ice cubes to try bring the swelling down, trying not to fiddle with it too much just cleaning and pushing it in so it doesn't have a chance to heal over. it's definately not infected as its still not that painful and not really red. Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't heal over the back of it? I'm not going to be able to get to a piercing shop till the weekend to get a longer bar (was already done with a long enough one).

Usually if it wont heal its better to dump it and go for another spot

It's all good now, got the longer bar in to compensate for the swelling and it's healing perfectly :) Piercer said they pierced it with a 10 when they should have used a 14 (or something along those lines, can't remember the exact numbers) but it's all perfect now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

My friend with a lip ring...who is sitting right next me...says....
    OMG SHE NEEDS A LONGER BAR...
    But you already know that!
    She also says....
    YOU NEED TO PLAY WITH IT MORE!
    That way you make sure that the inside of the lip doesn't start to close around it. Keep clean. Coconut Oil is a great antiseptic, up can clean with that so you don't get any infection!

Got it done a month ago now and with the longer bar its perfect, the little skin flap that was starting to form over it has disappeared and there's loads of room left over. I'd imagine if I didn't get the longer bar it would definitely have closed over! And I am the worst person in the world for playing with piercings, always messing around with them so it's all good now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

When this kind of stuff happens you need to play with it often to make sure it doesnt heal over, as well when you initially get it pierced, the piercist should always use a bar thats bout 3 times the size what it will be later on. Gives it room to swell and no pain for yourself!!!

Advertisement