Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan repairs/servicing

Options
  • 30-12-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi i am looking to get my Fiat Ciaroca campervan serviced, the electrics and plumbing fixed and some minor repairs, can you reccomend any place reasonable to get this done, location Meath,Louth or Dublin

ps don't fancy Carroll and McCauleys :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

ciaroca wrote: »
    Hi i am looking to get my Fiat Ciaroca campervan serviced, the electrics and plumbing fixed and some minor repairs, can you reccomend any place reasonable to get this done, location Meath,Louth or Dublin

Aidan mm who posts here regular is your only man
    Pat horan Motorhomes
    pathoranmotors.com

Maybe too far but worth the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

www.PatHoranMotors is us . Glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

We dont seem to be that well serviced in the grater Dublin area with a good place to have a repair done
    i have used http://www.thompsonleisure.com/ in the past they done a good job on a heater issue i had,still a bit of track from Dublin all the same
    Why do you not want to use Carroll and McCs,
    Has any one ever used http://www.maynoothmotorhomes.com/contentv3/ their web site is a mess whice i would say is business suicide considering a company's web site is the first point of contact for so many potential customers

• Registered Users Posts: 28 globcar

Just see on FIAT web page that Donaghey Motorhomes in Letterkenny have been appointed as a service center, so you could get both your vehicle & living quarters serviced with the one visit. They seem to be the only Motorhome Dealer in the country with this facility. Got my motorhome on a FORD serviced there earlier this year & was very well looked after. They have great facilities, even for staying over night. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.donagheymotorhomes.ie/index.html

Fiat will cover warranty if we service Fiat based motorhomes . And have done , for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Maynooth motorhomes aren't too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 globcar

SORRY Aidan........didnt mean to step on toes,:eek:

Gosh no , didn't step on mine at all! I'm a lot thicker skinned than that! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ciaroca

hi thanks for the help, Maynooth seems to be the nearest and your right there website is a mess, i had a bad experience with Carroll and Mc Cauleys when i bought the campervan, and i had to get a replacement leisure battery, the one i had turned out to be a regular car battery which is why it needed to be replaced, it is my first motorhome so i did not know what to look out for :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

:rolleyes::rolleyes: let us know how you get on,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Maynooth motorhomes are excellent (in my experience) - Pat and Ger are sound and will see you right.

Here's a boards search for them : Clicky

I don't think they bother with the website too much as they seem to be mad busy any time I am there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 East Coast Campers - Authorised Merchant

We at East Coast Campers can do all your servicing, electrical and plumbing repairs at a reasonable cost.
    No Job too big or too small.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

In defence of Carroll McCauley,
    Many years ago I was at Blackrock Clinic with my wife, My camper failed to start and I was directed to . Ambrose Glass Motors, once one of the best known Fiat dealers in the capital, Fiat network as a Main Dealer, operating from Kilternan; I had to be lifted and taken there. I spent a complete day with computer linked to my motorhome, At 5.30pm I was informed that they thought it was this or that. Being a long weekend they advise me that I would have to spend the weekend in their compound. I didn't fancy that. I called a friend and he told me to contact Derek McCauley. I duly did and arrangements were made to tow my camper van to him. Within a half an hour of arriving, I was on my way with the problem fixed.
    As a matter of fact there wasen't even a charge for carrying out the repair.

what was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Had you been south of Ireland I would have recommended Pat Horan Campers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaphnetheDog

Hi there,

Does anybody out there have any experience with dealing with rust on your campervan? I am looking into ways to do it my self or least part of the job myself. This is part labour of love and part not having a lot of cash to work with.
    I have been told that fibreglass is the way to go but have no experience using it.
    All feedback greatly appreciated.

Sorry about all the shoddy photo uploads.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056670378

Fiberglass is ok for non structural body paneling. Very hard to set against gravity, sealed flexible tin and rivets are a lot easier to work in these circumstances. If you've got rotten steel you'll need to weld in new metal. After you do all the hard work you need to hide your handiwork from the DOE, I'd go seam sealer and stone chip.
    Make sure you get to bare metal before you go further or you'll be back doing it again in 2 years.

A cheapy Lidl/Aldi air compressor is your best friend for a lot of this work. That and an angle grinder.

I do "new" sections every year.

Good luck, it's a painfully slow job, finding where it starts and ends is a bit like alice-rabbithole.jpg.

Best strip what you can (carpets, engine bay ancillaries, etc.) and tap out the entire chassis with a blunt chisel and screw-driver...don't be precious if it comes away it needs sorting.

Vactan is the best treatment/primer I've tried. Get a gallon ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaphnetheDog

Thanks for that, the road is long. I will see how much I can actually do myself and then bite the bullet I guess. I just don't want to make more of a mess than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

I guess you can have good experiences and bad with any dealer. We have had two MHs from Carroll and Macauley and always found them excellent, Derek has always looked after us and got us out of a hole one weekend by opening up after hours. Also Have experience with Maynooth .. good quality work but found them a bit pricey.

Not the kind of work anyone takes on cheap. That's if you can find someone to take it on. Even to DIY depending on how bad it is may cost you more than a new chassis. Like you said labour of love.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Have always found Maynooth Motirhomes excellent. We get our habitation check done there annually and it's worth every cent. Any other problems that we can't sort ourselves we bring there too. Upfront guys who really know their stuff. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

How much does a habitation check cost?
    How often should you get this check done - Annually? Biennially?
    How long does it take for the check - 2 hours? 1/2 day?

It depends , I just charge for the time it takes , Ger and Pat in Maynooth have a fixed price as I recall .
    Once a year should do it.
    Depends on the MH and how accessible the likes of the boiler , heater , fridge etc are , and how many things to check there are! A thorough damp check could take anywhere from 5 mins to 20.

Advertisement