Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

could it be shane long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Are we getting the final squad today? None of this preliminary bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Is it 3.30 the squad is being announced and is it the preliminary squad for the friendlies or the full 23?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But did you not see how Keane single handledly got some of those results in the group stage? He was sensational against Holland and Portugal. We could have at least matched the 1990 team in 2002 with Roy Keane in that team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Are we getting the final squad today? None of this preliminary bollocks
    Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Is it 3.30 the squad is being announced and is it the preliminary squad for the friendlies or the full 23?
    Full 23.

And I presume he will name back up players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Pro. F wrote: »
    Knockout competitions are a rubbish way of comparing the quality of teams because the sample size is so small that luck becomes a big factor. Even the league format of qualifying groups is so small that luck plays a large part.
    It was a poor WC in general and Germany had a very easy route to the final.

The Dutch were unfortunate to face us with Keane while the Germans got the benefit of coming up against us without him, qualifying first out of the group and getting the best path to the final.

If you don't agree with my estimation of the Dutch as the best of that four fine, you can ignore it because it's not that important. The point still stands. Your idea that we probably wouldn't have done any better with Keane is still ridiculous.

No I don't agree with your estimation of the Dutch as that best of the four sides. I wouldn't ignore it either as it's such a black and white error that it'd make me question the validity of anything else you might say.

You say that knockout if a rubbish way of comparing teams. However Portugal flew past Holland in as big a league system as there is on offer for UEFA so there's proof positive if you want it. I don't know how much clearer you want it.

Regarding luck, Russia lost 1 qualifier this term to Slovakia on bad luck. However, they still were far the best team and won the group at a canter in the end. By comparison you don't lose 2 games based on luck (or fail to win any of four against your peers) and then blame bad luck. I don't know how you can't accept that Holland were just not at the races that time around.

==

The Keane issue is of course a 'what if' scenario and of course logically having your best players will make your best team. I'm not denying that logic. I'm saying in reality it's not always necessarily so.

In favour of logic look at when Zidane came back to France in '05. The team was completely revitalised by having him back. Anyone could see it. His return basically cost us qualification for WC2006 because up until then France had been struggling to even keep up with the three other average teams in the group.

However there's also many examples contrary to the logic. England 1990 loses their talismanic Captain Brian Robson. The team actually improves without him there.

The point is you can't automatically just assume that a team will be better because 'star player x' is in it. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way for whatever reason.

I believe the majority of advocates for Keanes case it's basically Irish fans harping on about it who realised we were in the weaker bracket of the knockouts and suspect we'd have got to the final with Keane in there. The assumption based on nothing more than wishful thinking.

To be clear I'm not saying we definitely wouldn't have done better with Keane there. I'm just saying the evidence available (eg matches with him and matches without him against top teams) demonstrate that results and performances were on a par either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Could be Terry Phelan...gutted if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SantryRed wrote: »
    But did you not see how Keane single handledly got some of those results in the group stage? He was sensational against Holland and Portugal. We could have at least matched the 1990 team in 2002 with Roy Keane in that team.

One of the most overused and ridiculous terms in football IMO. He was excellent in those games but definitely did not do it single handedly.

Nowso wrote: »
    i believe its Duff his kid is unwell and probably couldnt be away for so long . hope all gets better soon
    This!

Sad for the guy, great servant to Irish football, hope all works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Will the announcement be live on TV or Radio does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

rte news now on soarview 3.30 or online rte.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

is this live on Rte new now (on saorview)?

darkman2 wrote: »
    Could be Terry Phelan...gutted if true.

Ah, Terry Phelan. The player Dani Alves could have been. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Will the announcement be live on TV or Radio does anybody know?

there'll be a stream apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Paully D wrote: »
    Here's what I think Trap will do barring injuries, players listed in no particular order;

Goalkeepers:

Given
    Westwood
    Forde

Defenders:

O'Shea
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    O'Dea
    Kelly
    Ward
    Foley

Midfielders:

Duff
    Andrews
    Whelan
    McGeady
    Gibson
    Hunt
    Fahey
    Green (:eek:)

Strikers:

Keane
    Doyle
    Cox
    Walters
    Long

Players left out whilst people scream for their inclusion (which isn't happening, they'll get their chance in the next campaign) - James McClean, James McCarthy, Seamus Coleman and to a lesser extent (EDIT - probably not actually after reading the above article about him) Marc Wilson.

McClean is 90-99% certain to be in the squad, on form alone, Traps words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Miguel Delaney tweet: Its not Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭baldbear

This is turning into who shot jr!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Colin Young ‏ @cyoungdailymail
    20 minutes until Ireland Euros squad announcement. Told Damien Duff WILL be in the 23 (P.Quinn IDM)

It's NOT Duff.

https://twitter.com/#!/migueldelaney
    Thank God, its not Duff. Now the question is who is it?

So with Duff in who is the most likely suspect? I've lost track of all the maybes at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Just heard a rumour that a whole host of players will be unavailable: Breen, Doherty, Healy, Morrison, Kilbane, Holland and Kinsella.

We're in trouble, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

kitakyushu wrote: »
    So with Duff in who is the most likely suspect? I've lost track of all the maybes at this point.

McGeady? Ken Early said on the radio the other night it was he

Keith Fahey maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kitakyushu wrote: »

you'd almost think we had to wait more than 10 mins to find out, or there was a prize for posting it first.

ITS GIVEN. OR DUFF. OR DUNNE. OR KEANE. OR....

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Who would be a bigger loss; Given or Dunne?

I suppose Dunne, but Given's understudies don't fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have a feeling it's going to be Fahey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have a feeling it's going to be Fahey.

Fahey is not a "senior member" of the squad. He's a fringe player, at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Keith Fahey maybe?

He's not a key player though. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it was and it was the media who decided to use the word "key".

The real question is how did the whole duffer ruling himself out start? He has been one of the most committed Irish player over the last 10 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

buyer95 wrote: »
    McClean is 90-99% certain to be in the squad, on form alone, Traps words

Yeah he is now, but he wasn't when I made the post over a month ago.

Advertisement