Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running jacket what to look for

Options
  • 12-11-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm planning on running my first marathon in a couple of weeks. With training so far I have been lucky not to encounter much rain. However the last few days got me thinking that I really should think about getting something in case of rain.
    The only jackets I have at the moment are aldi/lidl that I don't like wearing. For light rain I'm not that concerned more for heavy rain especially for the the start of long runs. Towards the end I won't mind. Any recommendations or what type/fabric should be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

don't buy a jacket to wear while running a marathon. You'll get hot and sweaty and within 30 minutes you'll want to take it off and throw it away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    don't buy a jacket to wear while running a marathon. You'll get hot and sweaty and within 30 minutes you'll want to take it off and throw it away

+1, if it's raining heavily and it is quite cold then a base layer under your tshirt is better. Keeps you warm and avoids chafing.

If it's raining but not that cold then it's better just to prtotect yourself from chafing as best you can and embrace the fact you are going to get wet. A cheap disposable hat and gloves are great as you lose a lot of your heat through these areas so they will keep you warm if necessary and you can throw them away when you don't need them anymore.

The important thing is to have dry and warm clothes ready as soon as you stop running.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Excellent thanks for the replies. I was starting to get concerned that I hadn't thought about wet and cold weather :)

if it's cold and wet you would need running gloves though. your hands will feel cold otherwise especially when it's raining in cold conditions. I'd advise getting a pair.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

guys,
    anyone ever used any of the trespass jackets for running, obviously not as good as jackets twice the price but curious if others have used for example this

http://trespass.ie/mens/mens-rainwear/qikpac-pant-pack-away-waterproof-trousers.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

I always find most running jackets are 2 heavy for running I end up sweating like a pig in dem I find layers are better But dat mite be just me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I always find most running jackets are 2 heavy for running I end up sweating like a pig in dem I find layers are better But dat mite be just me

No, it's not just you. I think I tried running in a jacket about twice. I cannot figure out what use they have - apart from wearing something warmer AFTERWARDS, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

I have had this for about 2 years and wear it regularly over the winter plus have worn it for numerous 20+ mile runs without wanting to chuck it away. Its light as a feather, not much more than a t-shirt, there's literally nothing to it but its really good quality and works as a windbreaker more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Contrary to many opinions here I think a jacket is great piece of kit and would regularly use one for many different reasons. In fact my jacket collection probably rivals some shoe collections.

Right now I would have:

Lowe Alpine paclite alpininist - super jacket with hood, weighs 340g, full hood and zips on the back of the arms rather than under the pits - this one has got me through UTMB, TDS, ARWC Costa Rica and many other races. 6 years old, but about to die. I reckon the Firefox or Gram will be the replacement.

Gore Running Paclite - love the gore gear, but not the prices. Picked this up cheap in a sale before the 2008 Trans-Alps. True running jacket, no fancy zips or storm baffles. Large back vent so you'll get hypthermia if you stand still in it, but the absolute business for running in torrential conditions with a hat. No hood, but did my first ever session in a gore-tex with it two weeks ago, 7.5km xc in wet conditions at ~6min/mile, changed my base layer for the cool-down and ran home after (1km). I may have sweated wearing the jacket, but it took 6 hours for my hands an feet to warm up, and I avoided any man-flu (IMO thanks to the jacket). The Mythos is the current equivalent.

Patagonia Gore active - picked this up last year in a sale. similar to above it is vented, but the active is big improvement over paclite. Picked it up due to price and colour, bright orange is better for night running than black (=gore paclite). If you're around Dublin then keep in touch the the Patagucci facebook page for updates on sales.

Adidas Climalite - pacer jacket from DCM 2010 - I must use this jacket twice a week at least running to sessions and for cool downs after. Given its age and tired looks I must have tied it to every tree in the Phoenix Park and found it still there when I get back.

Aldi/Lidl Ultralite - have one yellow, one white. Won't save you, but the bees-knees when you head out for 20-25 km in the hills with the sun blazing, but a promise of "scattered showers". Stuck in the back of a cycling jersey I love the fact I won't be upset of I come home and the jacket is missing... that said I haven't lost one yet :-(

I would be a big believer in using a jacket in winter for runs where your heart rate will not go over 140 bpm. If you're running easy why waste energy shivering to stay warm. I also like the idea that a jacket can help conserve energy when pushing new limits, if you're pushing out your bounds you don't want to be worrying about burning calories to stay warm. I have bonked badly on long runs 2-3 miles from a car or shop, but luckily I pick my weather days to push hard. Also a few years back I put a mud guard on my MTB and found 3 hr spins suddenly became lot easier as I was no longer wasting half my energy trying to stay warm.

At the end of the day when you know your limits and what you can achieve it is easier to plan. When you know your routes and you can judge your fitness level you can better determine the gear you will need. In some cases the race director and mandatory kit might determine this for you... buy gear that will pass kit check.

For me I would still head out for my long run (usually in the Phoenix Park on a 7-8am Sunday morning) with 1.5-3 sets of gear. I will decide what to wear when I get out of the car, but all of the kit I am happy to tie to a tree if conditions change or I change between the start & the end. If scoobie gets it well I just hope for the best and say a quick prayer to the running gods that he takes up 5 or 10ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Thanks for all the replies, for the race I will go with my normal long sleeve t-shirt unless very cold and will add a base layer. If its really lashing I'll throw on my aldi jacket and discard when I can.

I think half the battle is getting out in the weather when I get out I realise I don't need the jacket and its annoying and making me sweat
    SureWhyNot! thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will look into buying a jacket at some point for longer slow runs and windy days, this gives me options .

glasso I'm not a big fan of gloves/hats even when very cold if wearing a long sleeve top I like the ones with the thumb hole as it keeps hands a little warm at the start of a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Looking for a jacket for some IMRA races. I would prefer something light that can be packed away into itself and worn around your waist like a bum bag but struggling to find one, anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Probably best to ask on the IMRA forum where the committee can comment on any suggestions that don't match their requirements. There might also be a few runners who can tell you what passed the muster in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

AdpRo wrote: »
    Looking for a jacket for some IMRA races. I would prefer something light that can be packed away into itself and worn around your waist like a bum bag but struggling to find one, anyone have any recommendations?
    Probably best to ask on the IMRA forum where the committee can comment on any suggestions that don't match their requirements. There might also be a few runners who can tell you what passed the muster in Howth.

Lot of chat about jackets but not a whole lot of direction being given as to minimum requirements.

TBH at a minimum you could expect something like the Ronhill Trail Microlight but depending on the races and seasons anything right up to the Tempest or Typhoon waterproof jackets and tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

FWIW - i picked up a berghaus gillet about three years ago and have not worn anyother outer layer since then. It's a windproof / shower resistant material with a mesh back section. I have used it throughout every winter since then and found it a bit cool just once. that was on the top of the little sugarloaf in a gale in February with ice and snow everywhere, and even then only when I stopped to admire the view (or maybe to catch my breath!) No idea of the model but got it in tkmaxx for €18. I wear it for almost every run right throught to the spring. If i do ever need to take it off it squishes into a little mesh bag the size of a fist that is really easy to carry in one hand. Its the best piece of running kit I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I recently picked up the Salomon S-Lab Hybrid jacket. Super light at 120g, it has an elasticated waist belt, and you can roll the jacket down into this for storage, so no need to take it off.

I didn't pay full price for it I hasten to add. Couldn't justify that much with other options available, but I am a bit of a gear junkie.

Advertisement