Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Americans [FX - Spoilers]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

^
    That was exactly the showrunners intention, especially the silhouette of Elizabeth in the window as Phillip and Paige were coming home, and that very final shot made the house look very intimating. Great direction.

Can't wait for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Plenty more dramatic episodes during this past season. I was expecting a lot more.

And out of nowhere Philip's son is going to visit him in America which to me is not an interesting story line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did anyone else feel it was an absolutely great episode but an underwhelming season finale?

I wasn't even feeling the tension of the Jennings' decision that much. Surely the obvious thing for them to do is to take a foreign holiday until the KGB can determine whether or not William blew their cover. They are travel agents, a trip to somewhere like Thessaloniki in Greece, wouldn't raise too many eyebrows, not even Henry's. But they could be in the Eastern bloc in little over an hour if the KGB got word to them that they needed to move. And once it filtered down that William didn't blow their cover in any significant way, they could just head home and keep working as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why was Phillip so angry with Paige at the end?
    "you have no idea, no idea"

Was he talking about Matthew, himself, the FBI, the Americans?

It is left open to determination alright.

It might be the natural concern of a father upon realising that his daughter is having sexual desire for boys. Fear of her getting her heart broken or becoming pregnant.

It might be fear that she is only becoming involved with Matthew in order to get information out of him. As much as any father doesn't want to see his daughter become sexually active he especially doesn't want to see her lose her virginity for reasons other than love.

If she is doing this just for information and combine that with her wanting to learn self defence and the fact that she is doing such a good job with Pastor Tim. Philip may be concerned that she is starting to throw herself into the spy business without any real understanding of the consequences.

It could be that it is incredibly bad timing if she is genuinely falling for Matthew just as she may be about to leave for Russia.

I thought the end, including the soundtrack, had the feeling of a horror film.

I was thinking the same. The soundtrack reminded me of Halloween. The scenes looking down from Elizabeth's room reminded me of Nancy trapped in the house at the end of A Nightmare On Elm Street. The scenes looking at the house from the road reminded me of The Amityvile Horror and Elizabeth in the window reminded me of Psycho.

I hope Philip takes over Paige's self defence training. After they way her Mum taught her to swim she might not survive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why was Phillip so angry with Paige at the end?
    "you have no idea, no idea"

Was he talking about Matthew, himself, the FBI, the Americans?

My guess is that Philip is very afraid the KGB will find out about their relationship and exploit it, and as soon as they know about it he has lost any possibility of protecting Paige from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Sounded like that could be the end of EST there, the whole "you ain't that important" chat fell really flat considering they kind of are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

maximum12 wrote: »
    And out of nowhere Philip's son is going to visit him in America which to me is not an interesting story line.

I'd say the writers will use him to the turn the screws into Philip some more. He'll pop up in the States 'hey Dad...', perhaps to make Philip miss home.
    iguana wrote: »
    Did anyone else feel it was an absolutely great episode but an underwhelming season finale?

A little bit, yeah. Past ones have been quite arresting tonally, or through camera movement. I was reading the comments section on another site and someone said the s2 finale featured "Jared's bleeding out data dump", not sure I'd go along with that, I'd have to rewatch it.
    DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. The soundtrack reminded me of Halloween. The scenes looking down from Elizabeth's room reminded me of Nancy trapped in the house at the end of A Nightmare On Elm Street. The scenes looking at the house from the road reminded me of The Amityvile Horror and Elizabeth in the window reminded me of Psycho.

They confirmed the horror feel in some interviews.

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-americans-showrunners-brought-their-fourth-sea-237747

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/americans-bosses-on-endgame-we-hope-theyll-still-trust-us-two-years-from-now

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/8/11879750/the-americans-finale-recap-interview-persona-non-grata

I'd like to hear Frank Langella on the podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

A little bit, yeah. Past ones have been quite arresting tonally, or through camera movement. I was reading the comments section on another site and someone said the s2 finale featured "Jared's bleeding out data dump", not sure I'd go along with that, I'd have to rewatch it.

On reflection I think that if we had seen the same story, in a different sequence it would have been a more dramatic finale. If we had seen Stan's joy at the possibility of eventually being a real family with the Jennings before William's death speech it wouldn't have been quite so obvious to the audience and to Philip that Stan still hasn't a clue his buddy is the enemy he is hunting. And if we had the tension and worry about what William might tell the FBI, bearing in mind he even knows they have a high school aged son called Henry, more keenly felt earlier in the episode. Then the sad scenes of Oleg and Arkady preparing to leave at the Rezidentura shortly before the final scenes where Gabriel advises the Jennings to leave the country. I think it would have been a more tense and shocking moment to end on. I know that thematically the last scene of each season has to be centred on Paige but I wish they could have found a way to do that without relieving the tension of being told the centre wants to abort their mission.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Delighted to see that The Americans is receiving some long overdue recognition from the Emmys. They've been nominated for outstanding drama series and lead actor/actress for Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell, Margo Martindale is up again for outstanding guest actress, and Persona Non Grata has been nominated for best writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

First photo from s5. Captain Eckert on the right. Interview with the show runners here.

https://twitter.com/JamesHibberd/status/811963866934550528

Thinking behind the above. :P

https://twitter.com/knirish/status/815967043409350657

Emmerich and Rhys are directing again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Will they be flying planes or is it just an act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Paige, what a legend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm sick of watching this months late on RTE. Any way I can legally watch it quicker?

I'm sick of watching this months late on RTE. Any way I can legally watch it quicker?

Unfortunately not. It takes a while to hit Amazon Prime (not sure if the Irish version has it, UK does) too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Same complaint about RTE. You email them and ask when it will be shown and you are told we cant tell you...wait for it..commercial reasons. I think the series has to up the anti. Its becoming a bit boring. A real twist is needed. I have tried the dark side and it fecks up your computer eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Same complaint about RTE. You email them and ask when it will be shown and you are told we cant tell you...wait for it..commercial reasons. I think the series has to up the anti. Its becoming a bit boring. A real twist is needed. I have tried the dark side and it fecks up your computer eventually.

Wow. 10 Years at it and I've never had a single problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Calibos wrote: »
    Wow. 10 Years at it and I've never had a single problem.

Same - never had a problem.

Twist? It's cable, not 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

Season 5 kicking off tonight in the States. Finally!! Good to know that Emmerich is directing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Good opening episode for the new season 
    Stan and Phil's "friendship" is the weirdest I've seen in TV. I cringed as Stan described his gym encounter.
    The last ten minutes were tense, but sets up the rest of the season. Great to have it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Yes good opening. My favourite thing on TV. This show still has such good tempo compared to the trudge of things like the Walking Dead.

I hereby propose a spin off: Cooking with Stan Beeman.

Good start, as you'd expect. Hmm, Russian pride vs. the FBI? Quite an emphasis on family for all concerned - Jennings, Stan and Oleg too. Of course, in reality we know Philip and Elizabeth wouldn't have needed subtitles at that dinner scene. :pac:

The Slate podcast has some good info on how the created the hole. Christ, that scene made for some uncomfortable viewing. Even Liz was wary of the virus at the meeting with Gabriel.

Onwards with combine harvesters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Liked that. Can't remember seeing digging done so well on TV. Ground ain't easy to break.

Cool to see Paige getting the training. Wonder what direction they plan on taking with her character.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Slydice wrote: »
    Liked that. Can't remember seeing digging done so well on TV. Ground ain't easy to break.
    Not only was it done well, they managed it with about three lines of dialogue over nearly ten minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

The American Podcast is quite good to listen to. Especially finding out that the "hole" scene cost about $100k to make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I love that even in its fifth season it still makes me say "f*cking hell". Quality opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

It's one of my favourite shows

The digging up the body and shooting the young lad that fell in was a little cheesy imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Stan gets all the girls!

i do love the show but there's more realism in scooby-doo than some of these special-ops they go on at nightime

There was one where they killed a load of people at an army base

It's a pity Martha is gone

5.02 - Now a Reagan.

Enjoyed Stan sticking it to the CIA and glad Gaad was mentioned too. Elizabeth in farmland was indeed a little X Files ish and scary. From the 'talk', I thought they might ship Paige off to EST. :pac: Glad to see Aderholt again.

80s gym gear is cool. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dulachodladh

Such a fantastic episode again. All individual stories moving on nicely without it feeling rushed. Exciting to see where this leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

****ing hell dude!!! Spoliers!!!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Dang :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Been a fan of the show since the start but I'm not quite feeling it this season so far. It just seems there's too much of a focus at times on setting things up rather than things happening. I'm enjoying it, just not as much as I'd hoped or expected. But
    great to see Martha back if only for a brief moment
    . And I thought Philip's line at the end of the latest episode was excellent!

It's one of my favourite shows

It's definitely a little flat this season-they need to get the FBI back in hot pursuit to make it interesting

There's a scooby-doo vibe to some of the night-time operations.

As the song goes...

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
    And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet

• Advertisement
Advertisement