Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving a mini bus with a D1 -79 NFHR

• 18-09-2012 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I got my UK licence before 1997 so when I passed my car test I also got a C1, Be and a D1 Not for hire or reward.

The D1 is what I need clarity on.

According to the info on the paper part I can indeed drive a vehicle with 9 to 16 seats with a trailer .

I need to drive a mini bus to pick lads up to go to work. Before and after working hours. Employer has supplied the van.

Will this work with my current D1 .79 restriction.

Technically I am not being paid before working hours and receive no extra money to drive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Yes but there is another problem as its for work so may be a issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

grey area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Are you planning to do it in Ireland.
    If so, most likely your D1 is not valid here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No grey area at all.

Those UK D1 (not for hire or reward) are not valid in Ireland.

They are certainly not granted as part of an exchange of licence.

what about the c1. Im counting on that being ok in Irieland

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    what about the c1. Im counting on that being ok in Irieland

AFAIK only your B i valid in Ireland, provided you didn't pass a test for C1, D1 or EB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

No grey area at all.

Those UK D1 (not for hire or reward) are not valid in Ireland.

They are certainly not granted as part of an exchange of licence.[/QUOT

I like definite answers and your seemed so at first,

Surely you are not saying that a N.I. driver with a DI (not for hire or reward) on a run to Cork is driving illegally. if you are. i imagine you are wrong

If the same man/woman moved to Dublin and got a job, which involved driving a minibus, do you mean they could not do so.(during the six months when they do not have to switch licences)

Your last part is clear, so perhaps you know someone who moved and found that the D1 category did not transfer,though the licence did. if this is so ,do you have any idea why not,

reason for asking is I have one

regards Rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »

Surely you are not saying that a N.I. driver with a DI (not for hire or reward) on a run to Cork is driving illegally. if you are. i imagine you are wrong

That's exactly the case as Our man in Havana said.
    If someone got D1 licence (not for hire and reward) as addition to their B licence without passing D1 driving test, then he is not allowed to use this category abroad.

If the same man/woman moved to Dublin and got a job, which involved driving a minibus, do you mean they could not do so.(during the six months when they do not have to switch licences)
    Exactly.
    Someone switching UK licence to Irish licence, would not get those categories on Irish licence (C1, D1, EB).
    Your last part is clear, so perhaps you know someone who moved and found that the D1 category did not transfer,though the licence did. if this is so ,do you have any idea why not,

reason for asking is I have one

Because those categories are valid only in UK.

http://www.lcts.org.uk/PDF_Files/Driving_a_Minibus_Inf%2028_Annex_A.pdf
    17. When driving a minibus under these conditions drivers may not receive any
    payment or consideration for doing so other than out of pocket expenses, or tow any
    size trailer. The permits do not extend to driving abroad.

I phoned and asked.

As my licence is EU . Most of my entitlements are valid and are transferable to another EU (irish) licence. This includes C1 .

If I transfer to an Eire Licence I must also send in a Medical cert if I want to retain my C1.

The D1. 79 nfhr is not valid here in the south, simple because that class does not exist here.

So . My c1 is safe as is everything else except the mini bus and mini bus with trailer.

:D. Good. This info saved me getting tested on somthing I drive everyday anyways.
    Im getting mixed reports about there even being a legal requirement for changing to an Irish licence from a uk one. Lots of peeps say its only right to do so, but cant provide any prove of a legal requirement.

I need to look into it more but I may not even have to change it as long as I also retain a NI address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No need to change your licence. I am sure the nay sayers will be along shortly to tell you that you have you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,089 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement