Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Mac, hate the price!

• 19-02-2006 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I am switching to Mac folks :D

I am thinking of buying either a Macbook Pro to replace my windows laptop. I was also considering getting a MiniMac to use along with my Windows desktop.

While I was checking the price for the Macbook, and I am annoyed with how much more expensive they are over here, in Ireland.
    $1999 in america.
    £1429 in england
    €2179 in Ireland.

$1999 = £1149 or €1679.
    £1149 = €2088

From what I can tell, apple are selling there laptops to the UK priced at the conversion rate between the dollar and the pound, and includng the shipping and import tax in the price. But when they sell to Ireland, they just sell from the UK and so the price is set at the conversion rate between the pound and the euro, so we get an unfairly inflated price :mad:.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

find yourself someone who is a student and have them buy it for you.
    10 per cent off. altho they have to jump tru hoops to prove its for them and that they are students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

10 per cent off. altho they have to jump tru hoops to prove its for them and that they are students
    all you have to do is enter your college name and address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Nope no you don't have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

irishguy wrote:
    all you have to do is enter your college name and address.

When I got my iBook, Apple didn't contact me for any proof... If you're lucky, it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

"$1999 in america"

Bear in mind that this price probably doesn't include the US sales tax that could be around 6% or higher depending on which state that you tell Apple that you live when you buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well if I had to tell Apple that I lived in a US state, it would be New Hampshire they have no sales taxes there. But if I was buying from the states, could Apple not just ship it over to me, or would I have to get someone stateside to do it. I have reletives living near Boston, so it would be no trouble for me to get them to ship it for me. I could pay for the shipping easily enough, and considering how much cheaper I could get it I think it would be worth it.

My only question is this. Why do companys, especialy US companys, sell goods to Ireland through the UK like this. Why cant they sell goods to us at our price (converting the dollar to the Euro) and sell it to the UK from here. The brits will get a lower price and so will we. Apple cant be making much extra money by converting the currencies twice and selling them at a higher price here can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

1 because the exchange rate changes constantly

2 because of a thing called VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Why don't you just fly to Boston for the weekend. Visit the relatives and go shopping. The money you save will pay for the trip. Just take your laptop bag with you so to customs it looks like you had the Macbook before leaving Ireland and post the box back if want. The great thing about Apple laptops is that they have worldwide warranties. This is what I hope to be doing this summer with an intel iBook.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well if I had to tell Apple that I lived in a US state, it would be New Hampshire they have no sales taxes there. But if I was buying from the states, could Apple not just ship it over to me, or would I have to get someone stateside to do it. I have reletives living near Boston, so it would be no trouble for me to get them to ship it for me. I could pay for the shipping easily enough, and considering how much cheaper I could get it I think it would be worth it.

Beware of import duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

dub45 wrote:
    Beware of import duty.

Man, the way they work out the duty price is basically, they take the product price, say $2000, and then they add on a excise tariff based on this (I'll guess it's 10% of the price paid, correct me if I am wrong please). From here, they will levy VAT on same, which is based on the excise plus carraige plus starting price, with you paying the difference.

So if you assume my figures

$2000 + $200= $2,200

Add your flights....

$200 + $2,200= $2,400

So VAT is now added,

$2,400 x 21% = $504

$2,400 + $504 = $2,904

Turn it into €'s now and you see it isn't as handy as it seems, if you get stung by customs. And you will need to make sure that the Apple Shop in the US wil take an Irish Credit Card. Now, I am not saying that you will or won't be stopped going over, but you have to be prepared for this in case you are examined. You will get away easy enough with a laptop but a mac Mini? Never!

• Advertisement
Advertisement