Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

there was another special ??

Ah there was a short downton skit with George in it, I presumed he was going to be in tonights episode .
    Thanks for clearing that up :)

Yeah it was like It's a Wonderful Life. Robert lost all the money again and Joanna Lumley was the angel showing him what life would have been like if he wasn't there. Quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I loved Upstairs Downstairs, you've given me an idea, I might dig out the box set as I'm not sure I can watch anymore of this crap. (Hope you're having a nice Christmas Ally).

Yes thanks MrsD007. I hope you are too. Very kind of you to ask

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I know that was longer than a normal episode but I felt like I was watching it for days! I don't know why they insist on doing a "Christmas Special" when they've got no story to tell. Any thing that happened tonight could have happened at the end of the last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Downton Abbey for Text Santa; over on uTube...

Thought it was good, but overall they were cramming too many different scenes into their Christmas slot, jumping all over the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

It wasn't bad but it did feel like it was at least a half an hour too long.

Hopefully the Bates situation was finally resolved. Likewise Carson and Mrs. Hughes.

With Tom going they need some new male characters and we may get them with the 2 guys who were at the shooting event Lord Hexham's(?) cousin and the other guy who owned the car. Didn't get their names. They have to be more interesting than Tony Gilligham and that other fellow Mary was stringing along in the last series.

The scene with Edith, Mary and Tom in the Nursery talking about Sybil was nice. I thought Robert ruined the moment a little, he could have just stayed at the door and listened rather than asking Tom to leave Sibby with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I thought it odd that they stood there remembering Sybil, but didn't remember Matthew. I know it was about "we three who loved her best," whereas Tom and Edith wouldn't have loved Matthew, but still, they could have remembered both of the departed. Edith could hardly have also remembered Gregson in the nursery as his connection there was still officially a secret, but they could have remembered Matthew.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I thought it odd that they stood there remembering Sybil, but didn't remember Matthew. I know it was about "we three who loved her best," whereas Tom and Edith wouldn't have loved Matthew, but still, they could have remembered both of the departed. Edith could hardly have also remembered Gregson in the nursery as his connection there was still officially a secret, but they could have remembered Matthew.

I think the point of it being Sybil was because Tom was leaving the place he met her and the place he loved her. He's not just leaving the house and the family behind he's leaving Sybil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I've just caught up...
    Loved it though not sure what I make of the guys who came down to shoot.. Anyway..

They need to let the bates/Anna thread go... Like seriously just let them live a happy life down in the cottage (though fair play to Molesly and Baxter)

Also FINALLY Carson and Mrs. Hughes... That made my Christmas ...

Oh and good on Robert... Even in his drunken state he was a good guy :)

Think I'll have to watch it again it was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Spookyspook

I watched them online via <MODSNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

Try YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

They showed some of a series earlier this year and I think they went into the next one but then randomly stopped it again. The last episode the hotel blew up and there was a "next time on..." bit but they didn't air anymore. I asked them on twitter and they said it was finished but I'm not sure if they meant for good or just for this year?

Re Grand Hotel, it's back on tonight on Sky Arts 2 at 8pm, repeated at 2am tomorrow morning, and again at 9pm on Thursday.

I'm not sure if it's a continuation of the episodes already shown, or a repeat, or if some episodes have been skipped.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Re Grand Hotel, it's back on tonight on Sky Arts 2 at 8pm, repeated at 2am tomorrow morning, and again at 9pm on Thursday.

I'm not sure if it's a continuation of the episodes already shown, or a repeat, or if some episodes have been skipped.

It actually started back last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be ending after Season 6

I'd say much of the cast want to try other roles now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Loved the show from the start but I do think it's run it's course now. Getting a bit tedious. Last two Christmas "specials" weren't very special.

Can see a few of the younger actors heading stateside now to try their luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ITV confirms series 6 will be the last. Last programme will be on Christmas Day 2015.
    Tbh, it ended when they killed off Isis. I'm still upset about that.

I think it's funny that Maggie Smith said a few weeks ago that she was done after this series one way or another. Her agent was then scrambling trying to kill the story for a few days. Whether or not she knew anything I don't know but I think most of the cast have probably had enough of it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

It's out September 21st and apparently we will cry buckets on the Christmas episode

I'm excited guys! But also dreading the end... sad times! Think this calls for a rewatching of all the previous episodes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I'm such a sap! That trailer nearly had me in tears. First I thought they'd probably kill off Granny. Then I watched it and thought maybe that it'd be Carson. Then it seemed like it'd be Mrs. Hughes. Now I think maybe they're just going to do happy endings all round - that'd make me cry too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Misty Moon wrote: »
    I'm such a sap! That trailer nearly had me in tears. First I thought they'd probably kill off Granny. Then I watched it and thought maybe that it'd be Carson. Then it seemed like it'd be Mrs. Hughes. Now I think maybe they're just going to do happy endings all round - that'd make me cry too! :D

Killing the Dowager Countess won't be enough. It really needs to be something quite final to prevent some hack of a writer doing a straight to DVD sequel in a few years time.

When I was watching the trailer, I was getting the feeling that they will lose the house and or the money somehow. Season 5 ended on January 1st 1925. Would it be too much of a leap to think it would be related to the great depression of 1929?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Seems like they are ending it, just as it gets interesting again.

Sorry guys it's 20 September
    All I hope is that Edith finds love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Sorry guys it's 20 September
    All I hope is that Edith finds love

Is that Tv3 or utv

Oh God I don't know it just said itv. Is there any Hope utv will have it on the right time

I thought I read that they won't be killing the dowager. But maybe im wrong.. Don't think that would satisfy the audience tbh..
    Hopefully Carson and Mrs Hughes are happy ever after, as well as Anna and Bates... a happy ever after all round I think would satisfy more people!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If they kill off the Dowager I'll stop watching it. She's one of the best characters. I love her spats with Mrs. Crawley and the way that they've bonded almost despite themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Neyite wrote: »
    If they kill off the Dowager I'll stop watching it. She's one of the best characters. I love her spats with Mrs. Crawley and the way that they've bonded almost despite themselves.

Well its the final series so you will be stopping watching it soon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Does anyone know what station will be airing the 6th season.
    I've been looking through the station listings and dosen't look like it'll be on UTV Ireland on TV3 on the 20th or 21st

Hoping I'm just missing something obvious

Advertisement