Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to power wash a patio?

Options
  • 16-04-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I just got quoted €100 to have a 20 m2 patio power washed, I'm in drogheda. I've rung a few numbers in the local paper and this is the only guy I could get to speak to so I've nothing to compare it to. Anybody have any ideas on what a realistic price would be? For €100 I could nearly buy my own power washer. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

should be less than 50 if u can get someone local, will only take a few minutes, could ya borrow a washer,
    for that size i'd do it with a yard brush and hose, put bleach on first too,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

connected1 wrote: »
    I just got quoted €100 to have a 20 m2 patio power washed, I'm in drogheda. I've rung a few numbers in the local paper and this is the only guy I could get to speak to so I've nothing to compare it to. Anybody have any ideas on what a realistic price would be? For €100 I could nearly buy my own power washer. Thanks.
    You said it yourself.
    GY A1 wrote: »
    should be less than 50 if u can get someone local, will only take a few minutes, could ya borrow a washer,
    for that size i'd do it with a yard brush and hose, put bleach on first too,
    A yard brush & some bleach ? Pure torture. And your arms will have to be surgically reattached as they will fall off.

OP. €100 for 20sq mtrs is a p1ss take.

dodzy wrote: »
    You said it yourself.

A yard brush & some bleach ? Pure torture. And your arms will have to be surgically reattached as they will fall off.

OP. €100 for 20sq mtrs is a p1ss take.

20 m2 is very small, ur arms wont fall off after that LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Thanks, I've done it myself a couple of times with a borrowed one and this year thought I'd pay someone to do it for me. Just like you I thought 50 would be the absolute max, was hoping for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Was he just going to wash it or was he going to treat it afterwards?

Like draionhtanois said €100 doesn't seem that terrible to me, the guy has to make it worthwile to him.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Was he just going to wash it or was he going to treat it afterwards?

Like draionhtanois said €100 doesn't seem that terrible to me, the guy has to make it worthwile to him.

No, he wasn't going to treat it, just wash it.

could also hire a power washer for 20 or 30 euro

GY A1 wrote: »
    could also hire a power washer for 20 or 30 euro

I can get a loan of one, I washed it last year myself, looks like I'll be doing it again at that rate. €100 is a days pay for me - and for a lot of other people surely?

thats the job then, do it in the evening or sat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

If its done right it should take 3 or 4 hours that includes cleaning up after then come back the next day and sand them,
    so if the chap is self employed I would say that is cheap if he is on the dole a chancer

Mmmm.. 3 or 4 hours to power wash 20 square metres? And there's no sand needed, or mentioned in the price. But if there's anyone who's paid someone to do that job I'd be interested to know what you were charged.

On the other hand maybe you are right a quick blast of the hose get everything wet 20 min should do it grab the dos and run like f**k.
    Love it one born every minute

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

connected1 wrote: »
    I can get a loan of one, I washed it last year myself, looks like I'll be doing it again at that rate. €100 is a days pay for me - and for a lot of other people surely?

factor in /diesel/insurance/tax/van+insurance/wear and tear on machinery bla bla.

people now want the cake and being able to eat it.

folk doing work have overheads..its not just as simple as turning up and washing yar patio and they pocket the money.

if it was cheaper to do it yourself you would be doing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,841 ✭✭✭✭muffler

if it was cheaper to do it yourself you would be doing it yourself.
    Thats what's commonly referred to as a contradictory contradiction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Sad to see the same bad old way of doing things is still prevailing in this country.

Most other countries reduce the price of services in a recession to try to gain more customers to compensate, in good old Ireland they up the price instead to ride the ones who are giving them the business.

iPhone. wrote: »
    Sad to see the same bad old way of doing things is still prevailing in this country.

Most other countries reduce the price of services in a recession to try to gain more customers to compensate, in good old Ireland they up the price instead to ride the ones who are giving them the business.

You do realise that since Ireland went into recession our good old government have given no help to small company's or the self employed, and although wages have come down in the building/services sector there are other things to factor in.
    Diesel, petrol, motor insurance, motor tax, motor test, ie: DOE, business insurance and lets not forget the ever rising cost of materials the list goes on and on, all these have gone up and up so can someone tell me how do you lower a price ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

650gs wrote: »
    so can someone tell me how do you lower a price ?????

Guess you didn't read the second sentence of my original post above.

[quote="650gs;"u do realise that since Ireland went into recession our good old government have given no help to small company's or the self employed, and although wages have come down in the building/services sector there are other things to factor in.
    Diesel, petrol, motor insurance, motor tax, motor test, ie: DOE, business insurance and lets not forget the ever rising cost of materials the list goes on and on, all these have gone up and up so can someone tell me how do you lower a price ?????[/quote]

I take your point but some of those are fixed costs - diesel only applies when you're traveling to a job. In the end I did the job myself because I wasn't willing to pay €100
    It took me about 40 mins to scrub the patio and 20 minds to rinse off and I didn't use a power washer. Happy ending!

There is a huge difference in a quick scrub and doing the job right.
    And for someone self employed you ad up the price of everything you need as in diesel, motor tax, insurance etc for a year then divide that by the amount of hours worked in a year then ad your hourly rate and you get what you have to charge simple

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Professional power washers e.g a CAT has only x amount of hours life and needs an overhaul which is big money, anyone doing professional power washing for a living deserves their money, its hard work not to be compared to one using a fisher price toy power washer one can pick up in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

iPhone. wrote: »

not true..people want to get up on the backs of those who are doing the work the majority of the time imo..people want work done for practically notting and are in a position to dictate now because they know work is scarce enough for folk..when you deal with these cranks on a daily basis you would know where im coming from.

Advertisement