Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Boards Mock Draft

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

With the 91st pick the New Orleans Saints select:

Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU

The Saints went defensive line with their first two picks so I'm switching to the other side of the ball here. The loss of Sproles leaves a gap for another back in their committee. As well as that, Ingram's deal is up at the end of the season and Thomas will soon be over 30. Hill would give them a powerful downhill runner who should tire out defences. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield, although it wasn't a massive part of his game in college. He finished with just under 10 yards per catch and 6 yards a carry and 26 touchdowns, and only fumbled once. Hill would give them another option for their offence. On the down side, sometimes he can be suspect in pass blocking and has some red-flags off-the-field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

With the 92nd pick the Carolina Panthers select:

Telvin Smith, LB, FLorida State

Smith is an extremely explosive player that could work well in Carolina's defensive scheme. He can blitz aggressively and cover well, with 3 picks last year, 2 of them returned for touchdowns. He had over 150 tackles in the last 2 years, with 19 of them for a loss. He would also be a big contributor on special teams, with his speed and athleticism. On the downside, he doesn't have huge sack numbers, although that isn't surprising from a 4-3 olb and can sometimes be overaggressive in coverage and get beaten. Could have gone for another receiver here but felt that a lot of the available ones were very similar in style to Cooks. They might wait another round or two to take a second receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

With the 93rd pick the New England Patriots select
    Travis Swanson C Arkansas 6'5" 312lbs
    TravisSwanson.jpg

Strengths
    Functional base in pass protection. Can work his hips and seal and execute combo blocks. Aware and alert -- good in-line reactions. Durable and battle-tested -- started all 50 games of his career and has experience locking horns with NFL-caliber defensive tackles. Highly respected two-time captain. Intelligent vocal leader with outstanding football character. He is mean and has strong hands, he works well in short yardage. He is quick and is a very good run blocker.

His weaknesses are few but needs to improve on pass protection a bit and his arms are a little short. Should shore up New Englands O-line for years to come.

With the 94th pick of the 2014 Draft the San Fransisco 49ers select De'Anthony Thomas RB Oregon.

hi-res-2ef49e609f22294c8a3d71adbc9f2472_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Apoliges I put this guy up as a WR yesterday, he is a RB and a Kick/Punt Returner but also had time playing out of the slot. This will be a need for the 49ers as James should be on his way out after failing to do a good job as RB backup and kick returner. Thomas would be replacing his former Ducks teammate here.

Strengths
    Has legit big-time sprinter's speed with very quick turnover and is field-fast. Cat-quick to the corner, accelerates very quickly and can easily take the perimeter. Good vision and cutback ability -- is patient and follows his blocks. Can tightrope-walk the sideline. Very quick to and through the hole once he sees a crease and can stick his foot in the dirt and go. Catches in stride with ease and can make difficult one-handed snags. Has home-run speed in the return game, with three career return TDs. Exceptional pro day performance.

Weaknesses
    Very small. Does not play in a conventional-style offense and takes most carries moving laterally. Goes down too easily and looks for a soft landing spot. Lacks the size, strength and toughness to be an every-down back. Alligator-arms the ball in the middle of the field. Needs to learn to appreciate the preparation process and would benefit from working more at his craft

Bottom Line
    A deluxe, specialty back and potential slot receiver with game-breaking return ability, Thomas can be an explosive mismatch weapon in multiple facets of the game. Diminutive stature will decrease the odds he'll be able to stay healthy in the pros, and his commitment to the game will dictate his future success. Rare speed creates a higher commodity on draft day.
    If this guy was bigger he'd go in the second round at least.

Pats pick was tough was between RB's Hill and Sims, and Tight ends, Gillmore/Crocket/Lyerla
    Niners was between another CB maybe Bailey/McGill and Safety Southward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

With the 95th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos pick

Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville Cardinals

9554257.jpeg

My initial pick was wide receiver Donte Moncrief who the Broncos are apparently big on in the draft but with him off the board then I didn't see much value at WR. Broncos know they need to improve on defence if they are to go all the way and after drafting Shazier and a CB in the first two rounds here, the best value for me was to go with Marcus Smith to add to the pass rushing potential of Von Miller and free agency pickup DeMarcus Ware.

Last Smith he had 41 tackles and 14.5 sacks over 12 games for the Cardinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

With the 96th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings pick Walt Aiken, CB, Liberty..

It took me a while to sort out between what cornerback to take. After taking two linebackers in the first three rounds, felt that a defensive back was the next requirement to sort out. Aiken at 6'0 for me is the prospect that fits the team best in a division that has the likes of Megatron, Marshall, Jeffrey and Jordy Nelson to deal with. He's also excellent in run support which will help when the Vikes have to deal with Lacy, Forte and Bush.

Interestingly he has spent time in jail before when he stole a laptop at Illinois, but he seems to have turned a corner since and redeemed himself at Liberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

With the 97th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft:

steelers-logo.gif

The Pittsburgh Steelers select:

2543816.jpg

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - McGill University Montreal

Pros: Steelers need an OT and this guy really looks the part. He's perfectly built, 6'5 321lbs and has a good reach. He tested well at his pro day, benching 225lbs 35 times. He's got good feet, and plays with aggression. He's ultra-intelligent (a Medical student) and also seems football smart, transitioning position very effectively. Mentally tough and has played through injuries for the team. Physically and Mentally seems to fit the bill for a perfect OT

Cons: He's very raw. He's only been playing OT for 3 years, since moving from DT. He's still getting used to playing the position and will also have to adapt from playing the CFL rules which differ slightly for Tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

With the 98th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft:

200px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

The Green Bay Packers Select:

2543820.jpg

Brock Vereen, Free Safety, Minnesota Golden Gophers 6'0 199lbs

173989.jpg

Pros: Fills a position of need for the Packers who look clueless against the pass. Vereen is strong and athletic, perfect to deal with the bigger TE's that will come his way in the NFL. He performed well at the combine, especially in the Bench Press, the Short Shuttle and the 40. He shows good flexibility and leaping ability on the field. Good pedigree with Father who played in the CFL, and brother Shane who is currently with the NE Patriots. Looks a leader on the field and could bring a bit of organization to a beleaguered Packers defensive back-field even as a Rookie.

Cons: Despite his great athleticism he has poor stats in terms of Interceptions. He lacks bulk and looks more like a CB then a Safety. Height is a concern for key matchups with bigger bodied TE's in the endzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

ravens_logo.png

With the 99th pick in the NFL Draft the Baltimore Ravens select

Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU

1124_ls_D06_Jarvis_Landry_t618.JPG?ba5b5b122dd3d37cc13d83e92a6a0ec0d5bfa32a

In making this pick, I determined that the Ravens had 4 areas of need OT, WR, CB and QB2. QB2 is the least important of these needs as Flacco is a bit of an iron man. From the other three positions, I think Jarvis Landry has more upside than any of the remaining CB's and Tackles and Receivers.

Landry is great route runner with very good hands. He plays hard and fights for every inch after the catch. He also has a knack for pulling off spectacular catches. Landry does lack elite speed but I think he could be the next Wes Welker, a great possession slot receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

san-francisco-49ers-logo-300x177.png

With the 100th pick in the NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select

AJ McCarron, QB, ALABAMA

1383312112000-USP-NCAA-Football-Tennessee-at-Alabama-001.jpg

I really wanted to take a center with this pick but there is only 3 draftable centers in this class and the last two were taken before me in this round (yeah thanks Higgins for the last picks), so I thought to myself.. who the fcuk will I pick now. I cried, lost sleep, was on the verge of a nervous breakdown cause I just didn't know which of these fcukers to pick. Like I said, I was nervous, I didn't want to anger Adrian, I was thinking to myself maybe I can pawn off one of these incredibly average players as THE NEXT BEST THING to appease him... but then I seen him, the answer to my prayers, a man so cool he made me wet.... with perspiration. Aj McCarron smoking a fcuking cigar. If he's cool enough to smoke a cigar he's good enough for the 49ers.

But yeah 49ers have 2 qb's out of contract next year so best to play it safe and draft the only good QB left.

Advertisement