Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Boards Mock Draft

Options
  • 31-03-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the 2014 Boards.ie Mock Draft.

The draft order is as follows

Leslie91 - 1. Texans 2. Texans
    Innish Rebel - 1. Rams 2. Redskins
    Morriseee - 1. Jaguars 2. Browns
    TO. - 1. Browns 2. Raiders
    HigginsJ - 1. Raiders 2. Falcons
    Chucky the tree - 1. Falcons 2. Bucs
    Barney92 - 1. Bucs 2. Jaguars
    Raf32 - 1. Vikings 2. Vikings
    Pudsy33 - 1. Bills 2. Bills
    Blured - 1. Lions 2. Titans
    Phatkev - 1. Titans 2. Giants
    malistheman - 1. Giants 2. Rams
    PaullyD - 1. Rams 2. Lions
    UnitedIrishman - 1. Bears 2. Steelers
    madalig12 - 1. Steelers 2. Cowboys
    Red Crow - 1. Cowboys 2. Ravens
    empacher - 1. Ravens 2. Jets
    In Exile - 1. Jets 2. Dolphins
    SimmerDean - 1. Dolphins 2. Bears
    Heffo001 - 1. Cardinals 2. Cardinals
    Eagle Eye - 1. Packers 2. Packers
    franglan - 1. Eagles 2. Eagles
    mikemac - 1. Chiefs 2. Bengals
    Dohnny Jepp - 1. Bengals 2. 49ers
    JaMarcusHustle - 1. Chargers 2. Chargers
    DDC1990 - 1. Browns 2. Saints
    SameOleJay - 1. Saints 2. Colts
    Silver-Tiger - 1. Panthers 2. Panthers
    Lionbacker - 1. Patriots 2. 49ers
    adrian522 - 1. 49ers 2. Patriots
    Langdon Alger - 1. Broncos 2. Broncos
    kevs_88 - 1. Seahawks 2. Seahawks

-Please try to include some reasoning for your choice & all discussion of picks will be kept to the original interest tread.

-Please PM the next person on the list once you have made your selection.

-If it's getting close to your selection & you think you won't be around you can PM me a short list of choices & I'll make the selection for you.

So with the 1st pick of the 2014 Boards.ie mock draft

Leslie91 & the Houston Texans are on the clock :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

With the first pick of the AF Forum Mock Draft 2014 the Houston Texans select

Texans_logo(1).gif

Blake Bortles, Quarterback, University of Central Florida

os-ucf-quarterback-blake-bortles-declare-nfl-draft-20140105

Quarterback hungry Houston had a real dilemma here. Do they take the best player in draft (imho) Clowney and pair him with Watt or go get their Franchise QB of the future? Yes they've traded for Ryan Fitzpatrick after jettisoning Schaub to the Raiders but Fitzpatrick (and Keenum) is/are at best a safeish pair of hands should Bortles not be ready day 1. Bill O'Brien will love Bortles, he’s got the kind of prototypical size and athleticism that everybody covets and while maybe not as Pro ready as the likes of Bridgewater, the upside is phenomenal. Having said all the above a trade is also an option here to a team desperate for Clowney.

Innish_Rebel is on the clock for the St Louis Rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

With the 2nd pick of the 2014 Draft the St Louis Rams Select:

281px-St_Louis_Rams_logo.svg.png

GREG ROBINSON Auburn OT

0ap2000000299475.jpg

To review what do we need:
    • OT
    • WR 1
    • Safety
    • Corner

There is such dept at WR that I though I’d leave that option to a later pick (not necessarily the 14th pick either but possibly) - Leslie 91 threw a cat amongst the pigeons but I think we are set @ DL so we will also pass on Clowney...

We think we have a Franchise QB – well let’s protect him and let him do his job.

PLUS SIDE:
    • Powerful/Well built
    • Very suited to strong run game
    • Motor, toughness & power are all high on the charts
    • Very solid in combine
    • Seems to be a royal pain in the a*s for DL opponent – just what you want in an OT
    NEGATIVES
    • Pass blocking limited
    • Mainly operated out of 2 point stance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

8_the-jungle-logo.png

With the 3rd pick in the 2014 Draft the Jacksonville Jaguars pick Jadeveon Clowney.

2543456.jpg

Offense starts with Defense, Defense win Championships, and with that in mind, we are picking an excellent prospect in Clowney.
    On the national level, the legend of Jadeveon Clowney was born in a split second, on New Year's Day 2013, against Michigan in the Outback Bowl. Clowney knifed through the line and obliterated running back Vincent Smith as he took the handoff, simultaneously separating Smith's helmet from his head and the ball from his hands. The underappreciated conclusion of the play: Clowney recovered the fumble. Video of "The Hit" has been viewed millions upon millions of times. Clowney still hears about it "everywhere" he goes. "A lot of the people at the game said they didn't see it, but they heard it," he said. Of the continuing reaction, Clowney smiles and shakes his head, "It's crazy."

TO : you are on the clock ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

With the 4th Pick the Cleveland Browns

ClevelandBrownsLogo.jpg

Select:

Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Johnny_Manziel_2014_NFL_Draft_Rumors_Bowl_Game_Kevin_Sumlin.jpg

I have a feeling if Manziel drops to 4 the Browns will bite.

Raiders on the Clock - HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

With the 5th overall pick of the 2014 Boards Mock draft the Oakland Raiders select......

Mike Evans - WR - Texas A&M

With Matt Schaub now in place the Raiders can hold tough & maybe take Garroppolo or Mettenberger in the 2nd round.

Jake Matthews would probably offer more value but having added Penn, Howard & Boothe in the offseason is already a big improvement.

I am not a fan of Sammy Watkins & think Khalil Mack is overrated at this point so the pick was eventually whittled down to Evans. Schaub had great success with Dre at Houston so the big bodied Evans is ideal to go with speed already at WR. Evans has made spectacular plays on a regular basis for A&M.

If Johnny Football was on the board i might have pulled the trigger on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

With the 6th pick of the 2014 NFL draft the Atlanta Falcons select

Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo

A good few options I could have wit here but Falcons could really do with a pass rusher and I think they'll get that with Mack. He's not quite in the league of a Von Miller type prospect but he's still got a good burst and uses his hands very well. Will write up more later.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

With the 7th pick of the 2014 NFL draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Sammy Watkins - WR - Clemson

I was tempted to go with Jake Matthews to replace Donald Penn. However, with Mike Williams gone they need someone opposite Vincent Jackson. It will give Glennon another receiver, giving the Bucs the opportunity to see if he is their guy. If not then they should have two quality receivers for whoever they select to be their quarterback. Watkins is an extremely explosive receiver who should enjoy time to settle in, being paired with Jackson. The two would work well together I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

With the eighth pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Teddy Bridgewater - Quarterback - University of Louisville.

Easy pick for me. The best and most NFL ready QB in this draft. This is the biggest need for the Vikings and they now have their franchise quarterback for the next 15 years. This will help the team to no end. With the offence primarily focused around Adrian Peterson, Bridgewater can now help add to the passing game for Minnesota which boasts great receiving threats in Patterson and Jennings. Bridgewater has the mobility to extend and move the pocket with the quickness to pick up yards with his legs if needed along with a very talented and accurate arm. Shows very good football intelligence too and very comparable to Russell Wilson for me, this would be a steal for the Vikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

With the 9th pick of the 2014 Draft the Buffalo Bills select...

DIAASLCEBGLFAVO.20120720160943.jpg

Texas_A%26M_University_aTm_logo.svg

Jake Matthews, Tackle, Texas A&M

Like a few of the teams above, the Bills are in need of offensive weapons. Given the depth of the draft at reciver, however, I've decided to shore up the offensive line first. Matthews is athletic, has good technique, and is equally adept at pass blocking and run blocking. Easy pick here.

Next on the clock is blured with the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

With the 10th Pick the Detroit Lions

Lions_logo.gif

Select:

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

r620-4ae4d90a5815d71b1c539bf657784213.jpg

Very interesting spot for the Lions and a lot of ways they could go. Defence is probably going to be pick at this spot and I have gone for Gilbert who I consider the best cornerback in this draft. Great size and speed, he really impressed at the combine running a 4.37.

Other players I considered here, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, C.J. Mosley and even Aaron Donald at DT with both Suh and Farley out of contract next year

Next on the clock is Phatkev and the Titans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

With the 11th overall pick in the AF Boards Mock Draft the Titans select

OLB-Anthony Barr-UCLA

Justin Gilbert would have been the pick here had the lions not picked him up. With the best CB on the board gone the Titans decide to take the best remaining pass-rusher. Even though the the titans have addressed this position in the off season with the signing of Shaun Philips but the fact that he's 32 adding in some youth at the position is a must. the Titans are expected to transition to a 3-4 defense under Ray Horton which would call for more pass rushers. While Barr is not as polished as the likes of Clowney and Mack, his tremendous blend of size (6-5, 255), speed (4.44) give him a sky high ceiling. The Weaknesses in Barr's game would be his run defending and he would be tested in coverage, but i think the titans could use him purely as a pass rusher and still get great value from the pick

next up is malistheman with the Giants

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

With the 12th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the New York Giants select

original.0

Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-5f5zCgxTWJceGaklCVC-luZobpYYj0HoSuDB6uWa4JnvNrtq

I decided to improve the secondary with this pick. Dennard was solid at Michigan State and the Giants lining him up along with Prince Amukamara in the other corner should really bolster their secondary.

Next up is PaullyD with the Rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With the 13th overall pick of the 2014 Boards Mock Draft, the St Louis Rams select

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Safety - Alabama

USATSI_6917598.jpg

Innis Rebel did exactly what I would have done at #2 and took an offensive tackle (though I would have gone with Matthews instead of Robinson). That meant that there were three main needs for the Rams with this pick. Safety, cornerback and wide receiver. If Evans is here I would have pulled the trigger on him, but I think in the absence of Evans the best option was to focus on the secondary. With Gilbert and Dennard off the board, the cornerback options are weakened so I've chosen to take the best safety in the draft and significantly boost the Rams secondary. In all honesty it's probably the one position of greatest need for this team.

Clinton-Dix is a rangy, athletic safety with a tendency to make explosive plays. He has great closing speed, makes plays on the ball as well as a wide receiver and hits very hard. It's not all good, he's often too aggressive and gets sucked in by play action so needs to learn when to be aggressive and when not to, but I feel he has the potential to reach Earl Thomas like levels of performance in the future if he continues to develop. Ultimately, he's a great fit for the Rams who will be playing a lot of press man coverage this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

With the 14th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears pick..

Aaron Donald, University of Pittsburgh, Defensive Tackle.

ncf_a_donald_kh_600x600.jpg

Well my nailed on pick was Haha who was just picked before so I had to do some debating over whether I went for Donald or Jernigan at DT, or go for the second safety on the list (Calvin Pryor) decided to go with a DT and the Bears could hope that Tre Boston falls to them in the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

With their first pick of the 2014 draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Eric Ebron TE

With the Steelers having many defensive needs but with the two nailed on first round CBs gone I had to look at best player available. This was a toss up for Nix III and Ebron. Nix has some injury concerns but would have fit in well. Ebron has good yards after the catch and will be Millers long term replacement. comparisons to San Fransicos Davies did no harm and there is plenty of upsides to this TE/slot catcher. Plenty of CBs and WRs in this draft os the Steelers can pick them up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

WITH THE 16TH PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT THE DALLAS COWBOYS SELECT:

dallas-cowboys-star.jpg

TIMMY JERNIGAN DT FLORIDA STATE

7789956.jpg

Quick feet for a 300lb DT. He's not the premiere DT on the board that award goes to Donald but with the only DT of note on the roster being Henry Melton the Cowboys badly need to bring in talent there and I wouldn't be surprised to see the first 2 picks being spent on the DLine in this draft.

Why Jernigan? I don't like any of the DE after Clowney in this round. Jernigan led Florida State with 11 tackles for loss in 2013. Jernigan finished this season with 63 tackles, including 4.5 sacks and was a second-team AP All-American.

I think this guy gives you burst and strength and I think he's a good fit for what Rod Marinelli wants to do and having worked with the DLine last season Marinelli will be able to get the best out of this guy.

What does Jerry have to say?
    0QFOYSC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

WITH THE 17th SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT THE BALTIMORE RAVENS
    SELECT...

CJ MOSLEY LB UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA

A tough decision between going for Zack Martin OT and Mosley, yes the ravens do need help on there offensive line. But martins lack of speed could see him being groomed for a guard position as opposed to tackle.

Positives

Pairs athletic upside with developed technique.
    Light feet in space with impressive change-of-direction ability.
    Accelerates to close with significant burst.
    Fluids hips to turn and run with recovery speed to play man coverage up the seam.
    Instinctive ability to sink underneath intermediate routes and into passing lanes.
    Lets the eyes of the quarterback take him to plays in underneath zone coverage.
    Satisfactory length to play the ball in the air.
    Disciplined working laterally with sudden feet to react and fit the run quickly.
    Picks his way through traffic in the box staying light on his feet and using his hands.
    Maneuvers around blocks with fine flexibility and balance.
    Pursues to the perimeter from inside out, disciplined to not overrun.
    Adequate long speed to make plays at the sidelines.
    No qualms about coming forward to meet a fullback head-on.
    Technical tackler who sinks and drives his hips through ball-carriers while wrapping.
    Will deliver a big hit to a ball-carrier or receiver who leaves himself exposed.
    High-motor pursuer of the ball who gets home at a high rate.
    Model of consistency, the same player week in and week out.

Negatives

Lean frame from top to bottom.
    Read-and-react skills are merely average.
    Can freeze up reading his keys and hesitate on occasion.
    Uses his hands extensively in coverage, will take adjusting to NFL rules.
    Doesn’t always play with head on a swivel in zone coverage and can be slow to pick up routes.
    Imprecise blitzer, doesn’t find space instinctively.
    Lack of power limits effectiveness as a blitzer.
    Stone hands when trying to intercept, track record of dropped interceptions.
    Doesn’t assert himself with power against blockers, is usually overmatched physically.
    Little power comes from his upper body despite skilled usage of his hands.
    Extensive injury history.

A lot of his negatives can be offset, by good coaching and veteran guidance.

His lack of of blitzing ability shouldn't be apparent as the ravens have enough adept rushers.

In exile your up

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=qaOturx0xaJ8zM&tbnid=MdVdg-T450Ru6M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwallike.com%2Fnew-york-jets-logo.html&ei=6tFBU76dAYTGkwXHq4DABA&bvm=bv.64125504,d.dGI&psig=AFQjCNEa-HCKO8RMyL8fkbcQNh7zip_QYQ&ust=1396908897238885

WITH THE 18TH PICK OF THE 2014 NFL DRAFT, THE NEW YORK JETS SELECT:

fid12874.jpeg

ODELL BECKHAM WR LSU

With Mike Evans, Dennard and Gilbert all off the board (wishful thinking), it came down to a choice between Beckham and Kyle Fuller at Corner.

After spending big on Decker during Free Agency, we needed to draft a legitimate no 1 receiver. Beckham has the potential to be that guy. While not the tallest (stands at 5' 11) he is a powerful player who excels in YAC. Performed well at the combine, he is one of the most athletic WR's in the draft. Working with both Smith & Vick, he will need to be able to adjust his game accordingly and he is well suited to doing this.

His downsides are, as already mentioned, his lack of height and he also needs to bulk up a little.

Interestingly, he has bigger hands than both Evans and Watkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

With the 19th Pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins Select:

Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
    Zack-Martin-250x140.jpg

The Dolphins re-signed Randy Starks and signed DT Earl Mitchell so the Dolphins are expected to draft help a weak offensive line.
    While the Dolphins signed both Branden Albert and Shelley Smith to help bolster the offensive line, the right side is still a concern.

Martin is expected to be able to play both tackle or guard at an NFL level. His was impressive in the combine Strong in pass protection (Tannehill sacked 58 times last season) He doesn't have the longest arms but is versatile and has good technique.

I avoided taking Lewan even though I know the Dolphins owner likes him. For me, Martin is more reliable and doesn't have discipline problems. There is strong depth in the Offensive line in this years draft and I just about resisted the urge to take the guard Xavier Su’a-Filo(I'd consider trading down and taking him and a tackle with the next pick)

Heffo001 and Arizona Cardinals are now on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

In work at the moment so I'll add the Bells and Whistles later, but just keep things moving:

Arizon Cardinal Select:

Calvin Pryor - SS - Louisville

Eagle Eye and the Packer now on the clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

With the 21st pick in the 2014 NFL draft, the Green BayPackers select, Louis Nix DT Notre Dame

louis-nix-purdue.jpg

As an Irish fan I'm going to miss this havoc wreaking DT a lot, I'd have liked him to say for longer. Nix is a beast who could become a huge star at this level. Nix is a very intelligent football player and thats what sets him apart for me amongst DT's in this draft. He has great power and he can bull rush to an elite level. He also gets his hands up in the air when he is not getting to the QB. He is always trying to be disruptive and never gives up on the play and he is deceptively fast for a DT. he has been double-teamed quite a lot over the past few years with good reason.

Franglan and the Philadelphia Eagles are on the clock......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

With the 22nd pick of the 2014 NFL draft, THEE Philadelphia Eagles select...

Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG, UCLA

S-OTOS-Xavier-Sua-Filo-130831_FBC_1042.jpg

A lot of my options at WR, CB and Safety are off the board at this point so I don't think you can go wrong by strengthening the offensive line. Apparently there has been talk of Evan Mathis looking for a new contract but he is 32 at this point so a clear line of succession is needed either way. Su'a-Filo is pro-ready and has started 40 games at college level.

Positives:

Won the 2013 Morris Trophy as the Pac-12’s best 2013 offensive lineman.
    Shows great discipline setting into nice, low stance through games.
    Powerful, athletic prospect with explosive movements even if he missed two seasons of conditioning in the off-season due to missionary work!
    Great feet and a terrific burst out of three-point stance.
    Strong, heavy hands that are hard for defenders to get off of.
    Possesses a brand of functional strength that can be absolutely menacing.
    Above-average motor, agility and quickness.
    Played in a UCLA offense in which latching on and driving seem paramount to the mix of power and zone run-blocking concepts utilised.
    Had an extremely successful NFL combine for speed testing, with the seventh-best 40-yard dash and the third-best short shuttle.
    Elite bend and general flexibility.
    Voted as team captain by teammates for the last two years so a team leader on the offensive line.

The negatives:

Lacks ideal length. Could stand to play with better pop and power in his hands. Bends at the waist, gets overextended and falls off blocks. Heavy-legged -- slow to shift his weight and adjust to stunts and quick inside moves. Gets beat across his face. Needs to play with better awareness -- gets short-circuited by complicated defensive movement.

As I say I looked at direct replacements for DeSean but at 22 I didn't see value there.

PM sent to mikemac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With the 23rd pick in the NFL Draft the Kansas City Chiefs select....

1366378214-1354377523-chiefs.gif
    Taylor Lewan, offensive tackle, Michigan
    taylor-lewan-denard-robinson.jpg

I see the Chiefs biggest needs at wide reciever and the offensive line. They lost tackle Brandon Albert and guards Geoff Schwartz and Jon Asamoah to free agency so I am going offensive line.
    6' 8" 309lbs I see Lewan entering training camp going for the starting right tackle and he may beat out Eric Fisher at left tackle.
    Had a reputation in college for personal fouls and commiting penalities but that has been largely cleared up since his sophemore year. I also have no concerns over his off the field interviews with the police over an alleged assualt.
    The Chiefs are a run heavy team and a large and agressive offensive tackle with help the run game hugely and the Chiefs can boost their WR corp in a later round.
    Dohnny Jepp and the Bengals are on the clock......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

With the 24th pick in 2014 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select

403.gif

BRADLY ROBY, Cornerback, Ohio State University

roby-nebraska2.jpg

The Bengals biggest needs are OL, DL AND Corner. With Lewan just coming off the board in the previous pick, I didn't feel any available Offensive Lineman offered good value at this pick. So the decision came down to Kony Ealy and Bradly Roby who I believe are the best available DE and Corner respectively. It was a very tough call between the options I left myself with and I think either would be a good pick at this spot.

Roby is a do-it-all corner, Can play man and zone, effective in blitz packages and also an accomplished special teams player. He has great ball skills, reads zones extremely well, and has elite speed.

Roby instantly makes the Bengals secondary better and should start from the slot or Cornerback 2 from day 1. Roby will rejuvenate an ageing secondary in Cincinnati.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

With the 25th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select
    5ahY0Je.png
    Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    0uflpUb.png?1

40 Yard Dash: | 4.49s
    Vert Jump: | 38.5"
    Broad Jump: | 128"
    3 Cone Drill: | 6.90s

20 Yard Shuttle: | 4.19s

Kyle Fuller is my 23rd overall prospect, and my 2nd ranked CB so I'm happy to take him with the 25th pick. The Chargers secondary definitely needs some help, and not just depth but immediate starters if the Chargers are to take the next step and topple the Broncos and the Chiefs in the AFC West.
    Fuller was putting together a very impressive senior campaign before injuries hampered him towards the second half of the year. Statistically, he's up there with the best of the cornerbacks in this class. Taking a sample of the 10 big-name defensive backs in the class (Fuller, Dennard, Gilbert, Roby, Verrett, Mitchell, Hampton, Purifoy, Jean-Baptiste and Joyner), here's how Fuller performed:

cch5ua9.png?1
    *The final table should be titled "How many of the completions allowed turned into "burns", i.e. the CB was evaded?"
    • He broke up a pass every 3.00 targets, enough for 2nd best of the group.
    • He was only burned on 24.24% of the completions he allowed, the best ratio of the group.
    • He accomplished this despite being targetted more than any of the other CBs, so finishing last in this category is actually a good thing in this case.
    *The above stats are provided by the excellent Greg Peshek of Rotoworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cleveland-Browns.jpg

With the 26th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns Select

Marqise Lee - Wide Receiver out of the University of Southern California

Marquise-Lee.jpg

Despite picking up Nate Burleson, I think the Browns will go out to get another playmaker for new QB Johnny Manziel. The Browns have needs in a lot of areas but I think due to the run on CB's (in this mock draft) and Mosely being gone, Lee is the best option for them at #26

He's coming out of USC with a lot less hype then there was around him last year in my opinion, possibly down to him missing 3 games with a knee injury, which affected him statistically. Still put up decent numbers.

First-team All-American selection, first-team All-Pac-12 pick and Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year in 2012.

Has great athleticism, really goes up and gets the ball. Great YAC and decent speed (ran a 4.52 at the combine). Great hands. Great awareness in the Endzone of how to get his feet down.

Issues include durability issues in the harder hitting NFL and size to be a #1 receiver, but I think with Burleson and Gordon he wouldn't worry about being #1 for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

With the 27th pick of the 2014 NFL draft the New Orleans Saints select…

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=7OseTqLyD95eiM&tbnid=12qms0HqXzBuAM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2F2013%2F10%2F24%2Fmissouris-kony-ealy-south-carolinas-jadeveon-clowney-hes-god%2F&ei=OPxEU8u6D6rO0AXy3oGoCg&bvm=bv.64507335,d.ZG4&psig=AFQjCNGLxc-0OF8xvtEPI3HXsp7_5tTjRQ&ust=1397116153590679

Missouri DE/OLB Kony Ealy.

A huge splash in the defensive backs in free agency suggests the Saints, like the Broncos and Patriots, will go all out in the final years of their HOF quarterback’s tenure. Having already turned around one of the worst defences in league history Rob Ryan is, I feel, one top pass rusher from an elite defence- a truly remarkable turnaround.

To fill that breach comes Ealy, a slightly raw prospect with a very high ceiling. Astute in reading plays, great length and effective in shooting gaps Ealy has been compared to Justin Tuck and while he is a way from fulfilling his potential I see a great project for one of the game’s most innovative coaches in Ryan.

2013 Stats: 43 Tackles 9.5 Sacks 14.5 TFL

On the clock is Silver Tiger with the Carolina Panthers' selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

With the 28th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the

120129_refined_inside.gif

select

Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State

-ba4687742965d51d.JPG

More suited to the slot but truly explosive after the catch. After Smith, Lafell and Ted Ginn left the building i believe this is the way to go in round 1. Cam Newton is going to have a new best friend very soon. I think we've found this year's Tavon Austin.

Cooks lead the nation in receiving yards last year with 1730 landing him the Biletnikoff Award which is awarded to the most outstanding College receiver in the nation. In some great company over the last few years.

2003 Larry Fitzgerald Pittsburgh
    2004 Braylon Edwards Michigan
    2005 Mike Hass Oregon State
    2006 Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech
    2007 Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
    2008 Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
    2009 Golden Tate Notre Dame
    2010 Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State
    2011 Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State
    2012 Marqise Lee USC
    2013 Brandin Cooks Oregon State

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

With the 29th pick in the 2014 draft the New England Patriots select...
    new-england-patriots-logo1.jpg

Stehon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
    STuitt.jpg

The Patriots biggest needs during Free Agency appeared to be DT, DE & TE. During the free agency period, despite Vince Wilfork originally stating he wanted away, he evetually signed a new long term contract. Additionally looking at the Pats roster there seems to have a lot of depth at DT with the likes of Siliga and Vellano.

At TE, unfortunately Rob Gronkowski has gotten injured during the last few years & can't really be depended on, but I just don't see the value of TE at this spot.

That leaves DE, where beside Chandler Jones & Rob Ninkovich, there isn't much talent around, which is why I have picked Tuitt. Jones & Nincovich can't be expected to play 90% of the snaps each game & thats where Tuitt comes in. He is deceptively quick for his size managing to score a 77 yard fumble return TD 2 years ago. He's has developed skillful, effective finesse moves as a pass-rusher and appears to have a very high ceiling.
    Can also play DT, if another injury plagued diasater happens on the most of the defensive line again like last year for the Pats.

Adrian522 is on the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

With the 30th Pick of the Draft the San Francisco 49ers Select

hi-res-0f67289c3ceafa053b42fc360943fb4a_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Jason Verrett CB TCU.

Reasoning:

The 49ers have a very good roster as seen by their 3rd consecutive trip to the championship game.

At pick 30 they have a few options, look for a long replacement for Justin Smith, add some depth a ILB given Navarro Bowmans injury, look for a replacement for some more depth at Safety given Donte Whitners departure.

All fine choices, but all can be addressed later in the draft.

For me the 49ers priority in May needs to be adding players at CB and WR.

The WR I'd be most interested in have already been drafted at this point. In reality I could see the 49ers trading out of this pick, either moving up to grab someone like Marquise Lee or OBJ. Or even trading down and securing an additional pick for 2015.

However neither of these options are available in this mock. Given the way the mock has gone I'm surprised the Patriots didn't take my guy here.

Verrett is one of the top corners in the draft, and can come in and play Nickle from the get go. Weather he can ever be a true number 1 is debatable but with Tarell Brown and Carlos Rodgers leaving and Chris Culliver's injury and legal troubles taking a CB makes mot sense here.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see SF take a 2nd corner before the third round is through.

I'll PM the next in line.

Advertisement