Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons in Birmingham - any opinions?

Options
  • 22-03-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be arriving in B'ham about 9am, looking for food / coffee, maybe a sneaky pint of real ale at 11am -ish.

There are five JDW pubs in the city centre - I have never been there before.

Does anybody know anything about these pubs? Probably all "soulless", but any not too bad??

The Soloman Cutler
    Regency Wharf
    Broad Street
    B1 2DS

The Figure of Eight
    236-239 Broad Street

Wetherspoons Paradise Place
    Unit 31, Paradise Place
    B3 3HJ

The Briar Rose
    25 Bennetts Hill
    B2 5RE

The Square Peg
    115 Corporation Street
    B4 6PH

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've been to The Briar Rose. It's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Post Office Vaults , New Street is a great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Geuze wrote: »
    The Briar Rose
    25 Bennetts Hill
    B2 5RE

I've been in the Briar Rose once, neither good nor bad. Nothing much to say.

However, just up from that place is the Wellington which is famous for its ales. they have so many you have to order by number, not the beer's name: http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk They open at 10 a.m. every morning.

Another thing about the Wellington: you're allowed to bring your own food in and eat it there (they even provide plates), so you can get stuff in from a supermarket that you actually like and have it with your pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

I stayed near Broad Street recently enough, and went to the nearest Wetherspoons for breakfast and pints both mornings (can't remember which one from your list it was) It was a large one on the corner of a crossroads just off Broad Street.

Food was fine, place was as nice as you could expect (much "cheerier" say than the one I was in in Glasgow which gave me recurring nightmares) and they had plenty of "real ales" (most of which I find to be piss) along with some bottles of Punk IPA and Goose Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hennassys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Square Peg is rubbish, Service is rubbish. The Dragon Inn is a step up in terms of location and ambience.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭interlocked

I was looking at the Wellington Arms website.

They claim that

"In 2005 we sold 2610 different real ales which we believe is more than any other pub in the UK."

It's a pretty amazing statisitc for one premises

That in theory wotks out at 7 pints a day for an individual, every day, without repeating a beer and still having 55 beers left over at the end of the year!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I was looking at the Wellington Arms website.

They claim that

"In 2005 we sold 2610 different real ales which we believe is more than any other pub in the UK."

It's a pretty amazing statisitc for one premises

That in theory wotks out at 7 pints a day for an individual, every day, without repeating a beer and still having 55 beers left over at the end of the year!.

I have been there manys a time (I reside in Brum) and I would say that statistic is pretty accurate!They defientely do a great trade, Its a no BS type of place with 16 ales on tap in the downstairs bar. People travel from all across the west midlands to "the welly" to sample what they have on tap. Its about as real as a "real ale" boozer can get, not many frills, but lots of good charactuer. They also have an amazing selection of top shelf whiskey, I dread to think how much it would cost to put together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

gucci wrote: »
    I have been there manys a time (I reside in Brum) and I would say that statistic is pretty accurate!They defientely do a great trade, Its a no BS type of place with 16 ales on tap in the downstairs bar. People travel from all across the west midlands to "the welly" to sample what they have on tap. Its about as real as a "real ale" boozer can get, not many frills, but lots of good charactuer. They also have an amazing selection of top shelf whiskey, I dread to think how much it would cost to put together!!

Seems to get glowing reviews on Beeradvocate too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Just on the Birmingham subject, within the city centre (more or less withing a 1km radius of the main train stations and shopping district) you now have 3 or 4 excellent "drinking" pubs that would interest anyone interested in their beers and ales.

The above mentioned Wellington is king of the Ale pubs, the Post office Vaults also has 6 quality real ales on all the time and over 3 or 400 different beers (Belgian, French, German, Czech, American etc) and now Purity Ales (Mad Goose, Saddle Black etc) have opened up their own venue calle Pure Bar. All withing about 500metres of each other. There is also a brewdog, which is a good place to visit for something different too.

Oh and regarding the Wellington / Beeradvocate reviews, the venue has had a complete refurb in the last 12 months, which has been pretty tastefully done, it still feels like a bit of a step back in time, but has cleaned it up alot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement