Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a dell mini?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sub notebooks are the way to go, DVDs / cds are becoming old hat, I see the latest domestic DVD players equipped with USB inputs. With the price range around e400 its no big deal if they get ripped off or damaged.

SSD based sub notebooks such as the EEEPC 900/901, and the dell Inspiron 9 all have solid state drives which would take a lot more abuse than mechanical SATA hard drives.

The only disadvantage of the 9" SSD sub notebooks is that the HDD capacity is lower, ie 16 or 20 GB You can add a 16 GB SD card about e80 (32GB cards are availible but very expensive)

You can buy the MSI wind /Advent 4211 with 9" screen which has a mechanical HDD of up to 160GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I would also be getting a 16gb USB key which I would be able to get for €25ish

The reason I was thinking of getting this netbook is that I heard that new processors where coming out next year and it wasn't worth getting a top of the line xps m1530

Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9500 (2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 including Media
    1 Year Base Warranty
    2.0 mega pixel Camera & Tuxedo Black for CCFL Display
    15.4" Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    Biometric Fingerprint Reader with BLACK accent
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory
    Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW
    Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

For €1300

Should I just go ahead with the m1530 or wait for the new processors next year and get the mini 9 or similar netbook for this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I would also be getting a 16bg USB key which I would be able to get for €25ish

The reason I was thinking of getting this netbook is that I heard that new processors where coming out next year and it wasn't worth getting a top of the line xps m1530

For €1300

Should I just go ahead with the m1530 or wait for the new processors next year and get the mini 9 or similar netbook for this year?

Why wait for a processor? There's always going to be faster processors coming down the line, especially given that intel seems to be well ahead on their tick-tock roadmap. If you're play the waiting game with pcs you'll never get anything.

Having said that, Dell's roadmap shows that the XPS1530 is expected to be end-of-lifed before November.

Well that doesn't answer my question, and I am aware that there is always updates on processors but there is to be a large update as in new processors replacing the core 2 due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Well that doesn't answer my question, and I am aware that there is always updates on processors but there is to be a large update as in new processors replacing the core 2 due.
    :rolleyes: What about my questions?

Just an idea i had earlier, what about using a netbook with an external keyboard and an old monitor? Is it worth it? She would like something very portable to bring with her to college, sit in the library and do work on it.

I'm of the opinion a netbook might be ideal for this but I wouldn't fancy using it as a main pc as mentioned already, external mon and kb, would it be worth it?
    Storage isn't really an issue as she has a 250gig ext drive already, althou the 80gig in the wind/advent isn't skimpy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You're talking about Core i7 (nehalem). And there will be another radical change -when intel move to 32nm- with westmere before the end of next year. My point stands that there is always something just around the corner, being at the cutting edge is a costly business.

edit. I'm not sure why you are waiting for i7, the major benefits will be related to power consumption. I wouldn't waste money on a netbook to bridge the gap though.

So you would suggest going ahead with the xps m1530?
    Given that I can get it ex vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

wait for nehalem, its not not too far away now, buying a core 2 duo now would be a bit foolish.
    The nehalem will extend battery life and more importantly, if you ever come to sell it the core 2 duos will be worth far less than a nehalem just because the nehalem is newer.

For future resale value and power consumption, wait for nehalem to come out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The nehalems that are coming out in the new year are for desktop parts. I don't know when the laptop cpus will be coming out but if it's the same as penryn, it'll be months could even be this time next year. I say get it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

you could get it now and just sell it a bit before the laptop nehalems are out.
    Core 2 Duos will lose serious value (save for maybe the t9500 or t9300) after nehalem starts becoming mainstream just like pentium 4 m is now worthless.

Best thing is to buy a core 2 duo now, sell it a bit before nehalem becomes mainstream and then buy a nehalem.

• Advertisement

If I was getting a laptop now I would be getting a top of the range one to do me for the next few years

Advertisement