Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my touchpad faulty?

• 06-09-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Vaio VGN-FW11E which is a great laptop.

However I've been having one intermittent problem with it. Maybe once every three or four hours of use (it's very inconsistent) the mouse cursor will behave erratically for a few minutes. It doesn't move in the direction I move my finger and sometimes just pops to different locations on the screen randomly - this is all in response to touchpad input because if I don't touch the pad the pointer stays still.

So does this sound like a hardware fault or is it maybe something in software? I don't really want to resort to bringing it back to the shop...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭karasu

i know this seems unrelated, but r u connecting using ethernet cable? there is loads of feedback regarding erratic touchpad behaviour on sony vaio with rj45 plugged in. can u use wireless? can u check if it will go back to normal, when you disconnect cable?

you can use everest home edition to check exactly what touchpad is installed and look for newer drivers online, it might help ;)

anyway, it seems, that there ir lots of problems with vaio touchpads, so if u r not convinced to handy usb mouse, you'll need to take it back to shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you're using it for several hours, it could just be grease from your fingers confusing it. Clean it a little bit, then go back. Mine does that to... my old laptop did it...

It's just greasy hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Thanks for the info. I'm not using ethernet unfortunately so that's not it. I'll try out that Everest program and see if it helps :)

A USB mouse would be nice but I don't really have a desk for it to be usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Buy a laser mouse and use it on whatever surface is available.. I can't use touchpads, so i bring the mouse and roll it on seats, trousers etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

make sure the touchpad is clean of any hairs, grease etc, that confuses the touchpad

• Advertisement
Advertisement